FWC's 'sprung' at the front/top... what's the deal?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Just got back from looking at a newer FWC and it has an issue I've seen quite a few times. The top is 'sprung' at the front so the roof is no longer flat, but curves upward slightly as though it's been caught by the wind or something. It can be seen from the side and the front, where the seals are no longer where they once were, which can't be good.

What's the deal? Cause? Happens after longer term use? No big deal?

Doesn't inspire one to drop a bunch of cash that's for sure.. it would be a pita at best to try and fix.

codename607

Adventurer
It's a common thing. I've had my FWC for several years and here is my take on why this happens.

Side buckle is too tight.
- The front of the camper has more fabric around the front buckle as compared to the side buckle. No matter how tight you make the front buckle, it will never be as tight as the side buckle because the fabric prevents this. Basically, the fabric is taking up most of the space when the camper is lowered.

Is this a major issues.
- Well that depends. Obviously the look is an issue because it is noticeable. As far as material issues I don't think it causes them.

Can this be fixed?
- For the most part yes. I've seen people bend the front of the camper back down into place.

Recommendation: Check the camper for leaks. Use the bend to reduce the price and fix the issue yourself.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Huh.. seems like something could changed in the design or hardware to address that.

In the current market, the guy will get it sold at asking.. alot of folks probably wouldn't notice.

For north of 20k, roof damage is no good. I'd rather the interior was wrecked.

I would for sure bend it back down if I already owned it.

jadmt

ignore button user
Huh.. seems like something could changed in the design or hardware to address that.

In the current market, the guy will get it sold at asking.. alot of folks probably wouldn't notice.

For north of 20k, roof damage is no good. I'd rather the interior was wrecked.

I would for sure bend it back down if I already owned it.
I wonder if eventually it gets weak and maybe is a failure point. I want one but I am not going to pay the price people are asking. More power to people who do but I don't want one bad enough that I am making stupid decisions. Funny I was talking to my neighbor who is the GM of the local ram/jeep dealership and he said there are going to be a lot of people upset down the road for overpaying so much for trucks. I imagine going to be the same in the camper market.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Yeah, maybe. Or it could be the new normal for the most part. Trucks are a bit more of a 'need' than a camper, and FWC's have always had a pretty fanatical following. They are also sold way lower volume than trucks.

As for the roof, to be fair, I've seen plenty that are straight, level, etc. Some folks could screw up a rock... I just wanted some clarification because I've seen a fair number that are goofy in the front.

As for the prices, I figure we could resell one with minimal money loss... that's been a selling point of FWC's for a long time.

We have a Project M ordered... I plan to take proper care of it.... if it ever shows up lol.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Just one side of the camper roof only ?

Probably passenger side, near the end of awning ?

If so, customers seem to forget to unlatch that roof latch before popping the camper roof up.

Seen it often. Easy to bend back to 95% of original.

You need to unlatch all roof latches before popping the camper roof up, or you can get a bend in the roof frame.

Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
For sure the passenger side, and I did not look at driver's and there's no picture of that side in the ad.

That makes sense... I can see how lifting in the back would produce that kind of bend if that one latch was still closed.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
On a trip last year a front latch failed (44 y.o. Grandby with old style draw latch) while driving at 60 mph. This caused a cascade failure of 4 of the other latches and bent the roof ~ 10º. Repair was not difficult.

Repair technique: #6

billiebob

I've seen more than one on the ferry with one or more catches unfastened,
I call that user error. Everytime I've told the driver and the surprise is priceless.
An unclipped fastener is just inviting wind under the lip.

I think those catches are spring loaded so if there is too much bedding the top might not seal, interstate speeds and air pressure will easily bow the top. Kudos to the design that the top did not take flight.

In the 1970s GM had this problem across the windshield with vinyl roofs.
But that was definitely a lack of quality control, UAW issue.

Last edited:

beef tits

Very common. Several I have owned have had that little bend at the side latches.

With only the rear latches unbuckled, and the rear door open a strong wind will lift the top and do the same thing.

FAW3

Adventurer
I’ve got a 2018 Hawk and no such roof issue. I’d like to see a photo.

For what it's worth:

I keep my bedding in place: OEM mattress, Dry Den pad, sheets, light down comforter, wool blanket, two pillows…no problem with this set up and no feeling that the bedding is conflicting with the full lowering of the roof. Could this issue of a bent roof be caused by closing the roof, fastening the rear and mid camper clamps and having too much bedding on the bunk?

I would suggest that prevention would be ensuring your bedding is not too high AND securing the front and rear clamps first, then the middle clamps last. If anything feels funny or tight...stop and reassess. Do not force.

Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
If you google "bent four wheel camper" various threads will come up, some with photos.

Looking at ads for used FWC's will often turn up bent/tweaked examples.

A few things:

Just because someone 'hasn't seen it' doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

I have observed a fair number of bent roofs over probably 20 years of noticing whenever a fwc goes by. FWC's are 'on my radar'.

Most importantly THE VAST MAJORITY ARE NOT BENT.

But it is a thing that happens a fair bit, as evidenced by the posts in this thread and others. I wanted clarification, so I asked and got good info.

We have a Project M on order fwiw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles