12 volt slow cooker

Explorer cron

I recently purchased a RoadPro crock pot. It runs off 12 volts, but has no low/high switch. I would like to add one for longer drives. I will say though, that driving while my dinner is slow cooking is tough. Nothing is better than a good home cooked meal while on the road.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Take a look at the Max Burton cooker, temp is selectable and is a nice unit. Cooking compartment isn't as big as I would like but it certainly gets the job done. I line mine with foil for easy quick cleanup. Runs about 60 bucks from Amazon.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
What have you cooked from scratch in the Max Burton ? I like that it can heat to 350 in 35 minutes.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Many of those cookers benefit greatly from adding extra insulation. They can loose half or more of their input power as heat to the environment.

I have found that a 1-1.5 quart unit needs at least 50W of heating to cook in a reasonable time (well insulated). Ideally you would have 100W and a thermostat to control it. There are several compact rice cookers which would work, but require a small inverter. If insulating one of these models, do not block the vent openings around the heater element and control board.

Explorer cron

I love my slow cooker. I have it set up in a small tub to contain any spills while driving. So far the meals I have cooked are down right delicious. I would like something to cook up a breakfast while on the road though. Something quicker than my slow cooker. I still would like to add a “low” setting to it. Any thoughts?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have a 3 cup rice cooker. Does oats fast, also has a keep warm feature which may do slow cooking?

WOODY2

Adventurer
What have you cooked from scratch in the Max Burton ? I like that it can heat to 350 in 35 minutes.
I've done baked potatoes, pork tenderloins (actually just about any cut of meat), warmed frozen entrees like frozen shrimp fried rice (I added about an ounce of water to promote steaming action). I would be hesitant to try real wattery stuff if you were rock crawling lol. Chili would be doable no problem. I portion and package amounts that will fit the pan. Mine came with a steamer basket that would allow for dual item cooking.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Here is my review of the Hot Logic after 20 days of continuous use on a trip. Love the product! I use it with a small 100W inverter. Even with the inverter the current draw is probably less than 5 amps which is ok as long as you're driving.

Pleased to report that the Hot Logic worked great for cooking as well as warming meals on the road. I am now a big fan of this product! Made all kinds of rice, chicken, tortillas backpacking meals and more with this thing. The great thing about it is, its "free" meaning the only thing you're spending is a negligible amount of wear on your battery and alternator. For a 15 day trip for 2 people, we only used a SINGLE 8oz canister of isobutane with my MSR stove. We ate out only a handful of times so that's a lot of meals!

We settled into a routine of prepping lunch in the 6 cup pyrex at the same time as breakfast, and in some cases, dinner at the same time as lunch. Then just before heading off, we'd plug in the Hot Logic, zip it closed, and drive for 2-3-4 hours. The instant we stopped, there would be a hot meal waiting for us. We even cooked lunch for 4 adults at one point in the 6 cup pyrex container! The only issue I had was a small amount of spilling from the plastic lid, but that cleaned up quite well.

Chicken came out great, almost exactly like sous vide since you're cooking in a nearly sealed container at very low heat for a long time. Nothing gets burned or overcooked. Tortillas get warmed to the right temperature. This will be our go-to cooker on all trips going forward!

ayarkha

I love my slow cooker. I have it set up in a small tub to contain any spills while driving. So far the meals I have cooked are down right delicious. I would like something to cook up a breakfast while on the road though. Something quicker than my slow cooker. I still would like to add a “low” setting to it. Any thoughts?
Me too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94