A GoPro Thread

Hey all.

Big GoPro fan here. I did some searching on here and it seems that their is some GoPro talk in some thread, but no place to talk about what ever, share stories, and BS about some cool things we can do with these cameras.

I have owned the Hero3+ Black, Hero5 Black, Hero7 Black, and just purchased the Hero10 Black last week.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss photo/video settings, gear, mounts, tips and tricks, anything to help new and existing GoPro fans out there.

Here are some photos that I have taken in the past...

1637003846982.png
1637003829778.png
1637003814306.png
1637003743283.png

Snake CZ

Observer
Hi, good topic. I have GH 7 and I don`t know why, but sometimes it get stucked. without no warning.
Then I`m not sure what is better. My girlfriend always switch it off and after 2 minutes again on and continue shooting. I say that it is not good for it, she says that it spares the battery. What is opinion of others and smarter?

Hi, good topic. I have GH 7 and I don`t know why, but sometimes it get stucked. without no warning.
Then I`m not sure what is better. My girlfriend always switch it off and after 2 minutes again on and continue shooting. I say that it is not good for it, she says that it spares the battery. What is opinion of others and smarter?
No expert here but my thoughts...do you have the latest software installed on the camera? Maybe rather then on and off constantly, try to purchase a couple more batteries so you don't have to concern yourself with conserving battery life?

4000lbsOfGoat

OP, it sounds like you've got more GoPro experience than I have so maybe you'll have some input for me...I've got a Hero8 Black that gets used mostly either mounted to a SUP or mounted on the dash in the truck. We've pretty much stopped using it in the truck because it inevitably gets too hot and just shuts itself down...We've tried running it directly from a USB cable with the battery door open and no battery installed (to improve airflow and reduce internal temperature) but it will still always shut off if the sun is coming straight through the windshield.

Have you experienced any issues like that?

OP, it sounds like you've got more GoPro experience than I have so maybe you'll have some input for me...I've got a Hero8 Black that gets used mostly either mounted to a SUP or mounted on the dash in the truck. We've pretty much stopped using it in the truck because it inevitably gets too hot and just shuts itself down...We've tried running it directly from a USB cable with the battery door open and no battery installed (to improve airflow and reduce internal temperature) but it will still always shut off if the sun is coming straight through the windshield.

Have you experienced any issues like that?

SUP (stand up paddleboard)?

GoPro is releasing or already has, a new battery called the Enduro, although I believe that it is just size for the Hero9 and Hero10. It is supposed to have a longer life and work better in extreme conditions, (ie overheating).

Since the above doesn't help your cause, I would make sure that you have the latest software installed on the camera. Filming at a lower framerate and resolution can help with overheating. Try filming at 720 or 1080 instead of 4K and see if this helps. I had the Hero7black which is basically the same camera you have. I rarely shot in 4K because, honestly you really don't need to in most cases. I don't know which framerate you would use, I suppose you would need to play around a bit with this as it depends on what youre shooting...

FYI, gopros new flagship Hero10Black they just released had terrible overheating issues, their fix was to send an update that had preset settings on the camera to lower heating issues. They included shooting lower resolution and framerates, lower hyper smooth settings, turning off led lights, lowering screen brightness, and a few others.

Mattlodi

I have owned the Hero3+ Black, Hero5 Black and now I have an Hero7 Black. With a picture taken with the 3+ I've even won a GoPro Award (500$).
Here's a picture from Iceland (shot with the Hero5)
IMG_7497.jpg

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
My luck with GoPro is the opposite. I bought a Hero7 Silver for my summer trip, everytime I go to format the card or delete images, it locks up and I have to leave it on until teh battery completly dies before recharging and then try to format again. Very frustrating. This video - - of the Ouray Via Ferrata was mainly shot on the GoPro

My luck with GoPro is the opposite. I bought a Hero7 Silver for my summer trip, everytime I go to format the card or delete images, it locks up and I have to leave it on until teh battery completly dies before recharging and then try to format again. Very frustrating. This video - - of the Ouray Via Ferrata was mainly shot on the GoPro

I understand some of your frustrations. Recently when buying the Hero10, it came with a cloud subscription, its so difficult to get vidoes and photos to upload. With some help from customer service, we found any old media had to be done using manual upload. Ugh.

Fantastic video, thank you for posting that.

Delsh

My favorite mount is the one I can strap onto my German Shepherd - got 45 minutes of random motion racing around at the beach. Will search for the video...Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.01.25 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles