FGB71 super singles type approval?

BigSkyBrad

Hi folks

To run with my super singles, I need to have my chassis weight plate changed to reflect the reduction in rear axle load rating due to the fitment of 137-rated tyres. This is done through the DVSA, who are the governing body here in the UK regarding heavy goods vehicles. They require that I 'obtain written confirmation from the vehicle manufacturers Homologation department that the alternative Wheel/tyre combination you are proposing is covered by a Type Approval' so that they can proceed with my application. My choice of wheel/tyre is the 265/70-17.5 (really my only choice here in the UK without resorting to expensive importing), which is much closer to OEM size than the popular 285/70-19.5 or 37x12.5-17. Surely for the likes of Australia's strict ADR and Germany's TUV to approve those combos, the approval from Mitsubishi must already have been sought?

Any help or direction as to how I can successfully obtain the required information will be greatly appreciated - I do not want to have to go back to 205/75 duals.

Thanks, Brad

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Surely for the likes of Australia's strict ADR and Germany's TUV to approve those combos, the approval from Mitsubishi must already have been sought?
No.
In Australia there are engineers approved by the traffic authorities who can assess almost any change to a vehicle and approve it (or not). They then issue a modification plate which is affixed to the vehicle.
On the OKA, I run 305/70R19.5 Michelins. They have a high weight rating (over 3,000kg per tyre) and are a better tyre than the 285, but they and the rims are heavy. I am currently building a lighter weight vehicle and will fit 37x12.5R17 to reduce weight, but could also fit 13.5x13.5R17, but they do not have the same weight rating..
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

BigSkyBrad

Brad try Svtech in Leyland Lancashire 01772 621800.
I email the DVSA to say I had the enginer mod documents from the Oz suppliers - this was their reply...

I can confirm that unfortunately the only documentation that is acceptable to the DVSA is a manufacturers Statement of Compliance, confirming that this Wheel/Tyre combination has been approved for use in this country. The reason for this is that by changing these components you are actually changing the coefficient of friction available for both traction and braking on the vehicle, as well as potentially altering the driveline specification. Unless the manufacturer confirms otherwise, we consider that to be a reduction in the available braking capability of the vehicle and as such it is not permitted. Therefore, unless you are prepared to present the vehicle for European Braking approval testing, which would be prohibitively expensive, the only other option is to obtain the Type Approval documentation from the vehicle manufacturer.

At this point, I just want to set fire to my truck! I can't imagine travelling on rock-hard duals.?:cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier