What is the base vehicle for a Four Wheel Camper Flatbed?

campertramper

I was considering a Toyota Tundra but the payload limit is 1660 pounds and the grandby weighs 1395 pounds dry and 2148 pounds wet (and I know that does not include fuel and passengers). Does removing the bed of the tundra increase the payload? What about the weight of the drawer system? It's not clear to me if the Tundra can handle it. Thoughts? What vehicle if not the tundra is ideal for this camper?

REF

The Granby is their largest and heaviest flat bed camper, and designed to fit on long bed trucks with an 8’ flatbed, the Tundra does have an option for an 8.1’ bed but it also has the lowest payload capacity of any full size truck out there, thus not really suited for a large heavy camper.
You could consider the smaller, lighter Hawk model if you were wanting something to mount on a Tundra with the 6’ bed.
According to FWC, a suitable truck for the Granby would be would be any of the following with the 8’ bed, F250/F350, Ram or Chevy/GMC 2500/3500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
I've seen Grandbys in 8ft bed Tundras. My buddy has a hawk flatbed on a Tundra. All mid size and almost all half ton trucks with campers are overweight. An aluminum flatbed is heavier than a factory bed. You'll see accelerated parts wear. You'll need to beef up suspension, get e rated tires, and I recommend a rear sway bar for a Tundra. Ours always felt safe but it always felt like it was working.

We replaced our Tundra with a F250 to carry the camper. It gets the same MPGs as the Tundra. It drives better with the camper than without it. We are building a flatbed and I didn't want to be over the rear GAWR. I would personally look at a gas 3/4 ton for a Grandby flatbed. Drive all 3 brands and buy the one you like.

aaaslayer

Ram 2500 Tradesman gas 6.4 with the power wagon package (y)

you'll get a winch and lockers front and rear and electronic swaybar disconnect. Stick to a 3/4 ton for any slide in.

eyemgh

I have a half-ton Silverado with a Raven shell and we can go over weight. Personally, no matter what anyone says about how well their built, I would not buy a Toyota for this purpose. We're upgrading to an 8' camper (Hallmark K2) on a flatbed, and I elected to get a F350 (7.3/4.30). If you're willing to get a flatbed and have the funds, you can get a shorter wheelbase by choosing a 6.75' bed and having the flatbed built a little longer. The COG is still good on the K2, so it should be on a Granby. Have fun with the build!

rruff

Explorer
It's not clear to me if the Tundra can handle it. Thoughts? What vehicle if not the tundra is ideal for this camper?

The current gen Tundra has been virtually unchanged for 15 years, so there is plenty of long term experience with it. Many have loaded it up with 3k lbs of weight and driven it 200k miles without issue. You would want to upgrade the suspension and tires of course... that much load on a stock truck isn't going to work well.

BUT... though the Tundra is the most reliable full size truck you can get, it isn't designed to carry that much weight. A domestic 1-ton is. Even an F150 with the HDPP is... but I'd be a little leary of the engine options available. If I was starting from scratch I think the F350 with 7.3, 4.3 gears, and locker would be my first choice. That's another thing about the Tundra, no low gears or locker are available from the factory. Oh, and another... the Tundra has a torsionally flexible frame unlike all the current domestics, which makes it more complicated to mount and keep the camper from being twisted. 4WCs seem to tolerate this well though.

tacollie

Glamper
the Tundra has a torsionally flexible frame unlike all the current domestics, which makes it more complicated to mount and keep the camper from being twisted. 4WCs seem to tolerate this well though.
My buddy has a Tundra with a flatbed Hawk. With his, wife, dogs, supplies, and KTM he is 8800lbs. He's had zero issues but he does check the flatbed and camper bolts after trips. My turnbuckles always seemed loose on the Tundra she FWC. Since switching to the F250 they have never been loose. The stiff frame is really nice with a camper.

rruff

Explorer
My buddy has a Tundra with a flatbed Hawk. With his, wife, dogs, supplies, and KTM he is 8800lbs.

That's a >3k lb load. A few years ago I saw a guy with a DC 8ft bed like mine, with some enormous hard side that hung way off the back. I asked him how the Tundra handled the weight and he said, "fine, much better since we got the airbags..." ?! It looked stock... don't know if he upgraded the tires. Him and his wife were living in it, mostly camping in the woods. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 5-6k lbs all loaded up. "Stuff" adds up, even if it doesn't seem like it's that much stuff.

FAW3

Adventurer
Just offered as a reference:

UT1.jpg

2005 Ram 3500 crew cab with the 5.9 Cummings on 35's. Steel Buckstop bumper and 12K winch. Hillsborough aluminum flatbed with custom aluminum boxes, twin swingouts for trash/toilet box & spare tire. Loaded with all the crap for real life extended travel. Rear air bags and sway bar. Handles and stops great and gets 15MPG at speeds 65 and below. The nicely optioned FWC Hawk weighs 1500 pounds. The rig loaded up (wet, 2 persons, fully stocked) scales at 10K pounds with 4K on the front, 6K on the rear.

As you get near this end of the weight scale...you really need to start with the right foundation. If you go with a lighter rated truck commit to a lighter build...like a topper with a pop up (FWC M, GFC, AT Atlas) or similar.

Going down the road KNOWING your truck and all the critical components are rated for and can handle the actual load is piece of mind that is priceless.

Safe and happy travels folks.

tacollie

Glamper
That's a >3k lb load. A few years ago I saw a guy with a DC 8ft bed like mine, with some enormous hard side that hung way off the back. I asked him how the Tundra handled the weight and he said, "fine, much better since we got the airbags..." ?! It looked stock... don't know if he upgraded the tires. Him and his wife were living in it, mostly camping in the woods. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 5-6k lbs all loaded up. "Stuff" adds up, even if it doesn't seem like it's that much stuff.
My buddy has 2.5" Radflo covers, 2.5"Radflo rear shocks, and Alcan leafs. It handles amazing. Most trucks do with $5500 in good aftermarket suspension. He's already talking about pulling the camper and flatbed to box the frame.

tacollie

Glamper
Is there a specific reason why he wants to box the frame?
He's concerned about wear and tear on the camper. Those guys that had the Tundra in your photo had an issue with their flatbed bolts coming loose and sheering off. I think he is worried about the situation. He's a belt and suspenders type of guy.

aaaslayer

Power Wagon option drops the 2500 payload to that of a 1500 Ram.
But yes, it is an awesome truck.
True, but a set of different springs or some bags will remedy that. Look at Trail Recon on youtube. Has a slide in on his PW, and went with Carli rear springs that raised his payload a bit more over stock, and also has adjustable bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles