Xterra values…

beef tits

What’s up with these? Why so cheap? What am I missing?

Newer used 4Runners are going for over MSRP right now. 10 year old model with 150k is still $25-30k…

Used Xterras are a dime a dozen. Like half the cost or less.

Are they really that bad of a vehicle?

outback97

Adventurer
What’s up with these? Why so cheap? What am I missing?

Newer used 4Runners are going for over MSRP right now. 10 year old model with 150k is still $25-30k…

Used Xterras are a dime a dozen. Like half the cost or less.

Are they really that bad of a vehicle?

Compared to the Toyota tax, yes they're not *as* crazy, but please tell me where you're finding dime a dozen Xterras so that I may buy some and resell them. I am not seeing what you're seeing with pricing... they are much higher than a couple years ago, and I've been casually watching prices on these for years.

Before we bought our first one in 2014 (a 2006 Off Road) the ridiculous pricing of 4Runners (and IMO uncomfortable seating position if you're tall) led me to an Xterra. It's been a great vehicle, so much so that in 2018 we flew out of state to buy and drive home another one (a 2009 Off Road) that was nicely modified, at a fantastic price. It's three years older now, we've put 15K miles on it, given it some scratches and wear, yet at this time I could sell it for more than we paid, though I have no interest in doing so.

They have weak spots like any vehicle (see SMOD, timing chain whine, weak rear leafs) but these are fairly easy to spot or address. The aftermarket is small but you can get most anything you need. And really IMO all you need is an upgraded suspension and maybe some armor and tires. That'll get you almost anywhere most people go.

Up until COVID times, Xterras had that great combo for a used buyer of being reliable and robust but with rapid depreciation. With the current crazy used vehicle market they've gone up, and also maybe are being discovered by a larger audience of buyers, so excellent buyer's market for them that existed a couple years ago seems to be gone.

ETA: I'm speaking about the 2nd Gen Xterras specifically (2005-2015 MY). No personal experience with the older 1st Gens.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had a 2003 SE S/C. Bright yellow with black leather. Loved that truck. Looked just like this one.

unnamed.jpg

Unfortunately the head gasket blew taking the motor with it. At that point the repair exceeded the value of the vehicle so it wasn't worth it to fix to me. Still miss it though....

COAKXterra

As said above, it’s the Toyota tax. Xterras are great for a mid-size SUV. They are a solid platform for multi-week trips and the Offroad/Pro4x package is pretty capable out of the box.

I have 205,000 on my 07. It’s run thousands of miles of dirt roads, hundreds of miles of legit 4wheeling, towed 2500lbs plus to Alaska from CO twice, been up the dalton to the north slope 3 times.... and the list of abuses goes on. But I try my best to maintain it well. Fluid changes regularly, etc. it has many years left with us.

Aftermarket is small, but companies like Nisstec and Hefty can get you what you need.

SMOD is only a issue for pre-2010 autos. I got it and did have to replace my transmission. Expensive, but I found one out of a 2012 that has served me well since. But other than that, any part replacements have been upgrades or because I was doing something poorly.

?? For Xterra/frontiers from me

COAKXterra

Just to clarify to the OP, it's not a transmission problem... it's a transmission cooler in the radiator failing problem.

And, as long as it hasn't happened, is easily prevented by just replacing the radiator, a <$200 fix.

?? Yup. good point that I should have mentioned. Appreciate that Addition

Although I would be very particular with buying any pre-2010 autos about verifying radiator swap and checking fluids before buying. I thought I caught mine, flushed it thoroughly at a shop, replaced the radiator, and it drove another 5k before giving up the ghost while it sat at a shop waiting for me to return from overseas.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
They're sweet and solid rigs. Toyota's have always been more expensive but have taken an extra ridiculous turn since overlanding became the new fast and the furious.

I have owned 6 yotas and none have been flawless including the famed pickup and gx's. Their power to mileage ratio and ergonomics have always been particularly been terrible. Most reliable vehicle I've had was a 2001 Montero Sport. Pretty much all modern vehicles are solid and reliable.

zanethan

Counter point, why are Toyota’s so expensive? What makes them so great that they are selling for roughly MSRP after 50,000 miles and 5 years of use?

I’ve never understood the Toyota tax. Sure they’re generally reliable but so are any number of other vehicles out there.

As others have noted the 2nd gen X is fantastically reliable aside from a few known issues (SMOD and timing chain guides most notably, both were generally resolved by 2011.). The VQ is a stout engine and if maintained will easily go to 300k miles. Corrosion can be an issue but that certainly isn’t isolated to Nissan’s, Toyota’s have more than their fair share of rust issues. As with any used vehicle, it’s all about how it’s been maintained. Even a reliable brand, such as Toyota, will let you down if abused and neglected. Also, the prices on X’s are up significantly over pre pandemic prices. Perception is reality I suppose so comparatively they are “cheap” but $20-$30k for a 5+ year old vehicle isn’t cheap to me.

Maddmatt

Explorer
Counter point, why are Toyota’s so expensive? What makes them so great that they are selling for roughly MSRP after 50,000 miles and 5 years of use?

I’ve never understood the Toyota tax. Sure they’re generally reliable but so are any number of other vehicles out there.

As others have noted the 2nd gen X is fantastically reliable aside from a few known issues (SMOD and timing chain guides most notably, both were generally resolved by 2011.). The VQ is a stout engine and if maintained will easily go to 300k miles. Corrosion can be an issue but that certainly isn’t isolated to Nissan’s, Toyota’s have more than their fair share of rust issues. As with any used vehicle, it’s all about how it’s been maintained. Even a reliable brand, such as Toyota, will let you down if abused and neglected. Also, the prices on X’s are up significantly over pre pandemic prices. Perception is reality I suppose so comparatively they are “cheap” but $20-$30k for a 5+ year old vehicle isn’t cheap to me.

Yeah, as the owner of two 2nd gens (my kids took my first so I bought my own) I can tell you the prices on Xterras are significantly up from a couple years ago, but still less than Toyotas, as usual. I'm taking one in for a service today, already have the "we want your vehicle" email from the sales manager. Too bad they have nothing on their lot that I want. Great trucks - break sometimes, usually don't. At 6' and 200, I find them very comfortable, some people don't. I went from a 3rd gen 4runner when I bought my first, so I took a big jump up in comfort, power, room, etc.... but that doesn't mean I didn't love my 4runner too. I'd say, if you're like them, just go 2010 or newer, swap out the rear leafs (they snap at about 100k) and call it good. I've heard they are relatively rare, but here in the Boulder area they are as common as Outbacks, there's one at every stop light.

beef tits

Wow lots of replies, sorry don’t get on here much.

I’m a Toyota fanboi, not looking for an X. After my 2001 Frontier I swore I’d never own a other one (dumpster fire).

I did take one in on trade though (never intended to keep) and I cannot seem to get rid of it. People seem to like them and $5900 seems like a steal compared to a 200k 4Runner that could fetch $10-12k.

‘06, off road, 6 spd, 207k. A little rough around the edges but everything works. Never actually off roaded, 100% stock on new Michelin Defenders.

I haven’t had a single hit that actually came to see it in 6 weeks.

What do you guys think it is worth?

Last edited:

jingram

Adventurer
I have a 2011 2nd gen that was bought new and before that had a 2004 first gen. Have also had my fair share of hardbody trucks and an odd 720 thrown in.
Nissan makes a very solid product historically. The first gen rigs had bullet proof rear ends, transfer cases, and engines and were dead simple and reliable. Mine was a manual transmission and I put 280K on the first gen before selling it and only sold it to buy the 2nd gen. That old 3.3VG was a pig but bulletproof as long as you gave even half a ********. That rig took my now wife and I on countless adventures - from Inuvik to Baja and everywhere in between including countless miles off-road, snotty gravel tracks, and days of crappy washboard. Steering could be a weak spot, especially if you went crazy with tire size.

The 2nd gen has also been great. Mine is a manual. Outside of tires, I’ve literally done nothing to the truck outside of fluid changes, wiper blades, etc. That VQ motor had been a beast. The early 2nd gen Frontiers and Xterras had some quirks with time chain guides and of course some of the auto tranny issues, but overall just been a great truck. As I come up on 100K miles, it’s time to do shocks, rear hatch struts need replaced, TPMS sensors, etc, but overall it has been fantastic. At some point I know I’ll need to do brakes and the clutch, but the originals are still going strong. ?‍♂️ Rear springs have always been soft, but I put the Timbren kit on it at roughly 1,000 miles so hard to gauge just how bad the rear springs are or if they’ve gotten worse. It doesn’t seem to be sagging any lower that it did new and the Timbren’s aren’t touching the axle so I’m calling it good.

My kids favorite rig to ride in by far. Not sure why nobody is touching your CL ad. Probably the manual doesn’t help. Posted on NewX at all?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I did take one in on trade though (never intended to keep) and I cannot seem to get rid of it.

Bahahaha. It's not because it's an Xterra it's because it's a manual. Pansy folks these days don't want to shift gears and most people wouldn't know how if they did.

I got mine for a great price practically new, because it was a 6 speed. It sat on the lot for more than 6 months before I found it. And this is is back when Xterra's were being made.

But I don't really know what you are smoking (well, in CO maybe I do...) saying Xterra's are going cheap. I'd kinda like a second one and have shopped a bit, from what I saw listed I could likely get close to what I paid for mine 10 years ago, if I found a buyer that can walk and chew gum.

If you find a buyer who knows exactly what you have there, you could sell it. 6 speed Off Road models are fairly rare and among the right folks, sought after. I get a lot of comments on mine for being an uncommon 6 speed. I'd listyours on the classifieds here on ExPo, casual craigslist folks in Denver won't appreciate that vehicle. Heck, if I was in the mood for a project I'd buy it, but I'm not in the mood for a project, sorry.

P.S. I freaking hate clowns.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
But find the right crowd and the 6-speed is worth more than the auto. Very nice driving manual transmission. But not the mass market model. You have to list it in the crowd that wants the manual. A 2nd gen manual in true off-road trim is as good as it gets. True off-road trim has to be checked. A lot of people will put the off-road badges on since the book value is highest for that trim. Trying to milk the system. Got to check that the right hardware is present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online