Four Wheel Camper ‘Project M’

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I got a so so answer. Guys said 30" from top of rail to inner ceiling when down. I had some follow up questions like rail to ceiling when up and then things got murky.

I wish they would post a simple cad drawing or the like that showed interior height as well as exterior heights when both up and down.

We've crossed a soft side camper off the list, so not concerned at this point.

TMOD

Anyone have an update on what the current lead times are at this point? I had seen where FWC was moving into a new facility and that it might improve wait times, but also may have increased wait times in the short run.

TMOD

Yeah i was wondering. I put a deposit down in March with an expected delivery date of May 2022. Now they are telling me September 2022 as a build date with delivery in October. So I am looking at 20 months at this point, and that's if it doesn't get pushed back further. I was really looking forward to having it for spring/summer camping next year but i guess that is out now.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I have no idea if they are giving worst case scenario timelines with hopes of beating them, or being overly optimistic and delivery times will be much later than promised. Maybe they will be on the money.

Ah well, firmly in the 'first world problem' category.

thesuzukimethod

We put our deposit down in Aug of 2020 and they estimated about 32-34 weeks (Apr 2021 or so). Actual delivery date was Jul 2021 (closer to 50 weeks)...they basically said - this is estimate, you'll get a firm date once it's in the build queue (and you confirm your options with FWC, etc.). (this was ordering from a dealer, not directly from FWC, but FWC referred us to the regional dealer). Last i checked they were quoting 60-70 weeks lead time (in Aug 2021 when we picked ours up).

We didn't complain, the pandemic has been hard on everything from labor to supply chain. I do wonder if they are giving worst case scenario - it's probably better to say "it's actually ready now" than "it's not actually ready yet".

TOU47

I'm like many of you...the weight & utility interest me greatly but the lag time & cost for what it is, is a bit frustrating...enough to look at other options or DIY. (DualEx on YouTube did a pretty nice job.)

I have a Leer shell/canopy on my 2014 Chevy 6.5' bed CC. On the dust issues...it's true of many/most trucks. First, ALL tailgates are notorious for massive air gaps on the sides & hinge end. I solved this 99% part with gorilla tape sealing. Next under the bed side rails there are huge holes that lead directly to the rear fender wells & create a virtual dust tornado in there just sucking the dust in there on dusty roads. HORRIBLE! I plugged those with Styrofoam pieces & sealed the holes & bed seems with plugs and more tape then threw a DIY carpet kit with a double pad & carpet. Much cleaner & cozier traveling & sleeping. That said, my B-I-L bought a Bed Rug which seems to virtually eliminate it completely & cleans up nicely. I just ordered one on Black Friday sale with zip off tailgate option for $389. I figure I will use it no matter which way I go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz