2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Kpack

Adventurer
The truck is driveable, so I will try to get it to an alignment place on Monday. I have a friend who did body work for years coming over tomorrow to take a look and see what he thinks about the frame.

The bed is crushed past the outer skins. The passenger inner panel is pushed in several inches, and the tailgate was shoved a good amount to the driver's side. The hit to the passenger side was so hard that it pushed the entire bed to the driver's side enough to hit the side bar on the BFF bumper, and bend the sheet metal in almost an inch. That's movement of at least 1.5".
y4mRxwKf_mr1ccrLiudmfJ9FTLaQTBo4Zlhb64mu7lqD3m2y0VgkSHE-X_DFhDPCFwcF6oHiGh0wxvFMgSWt5WMUYck65BFcdbMc8hAujMmjV6nP9XVbPv3UjxPbJFrKj2Guee6tz-PCEQ75tZoMC7l_aKZ5EqatXKVimX_msc6D9KdzNCmTjKBB1ijL25GXXxH

y4mpw7gyUiZPazG5s9lqFDqVcpcFtdDcFob-QErbWCSrjOoDrp3BWLayvBoYwhoEvHfgBCfqLlgL6ruzQKVB8k_Ctgx8W1I6n9auLhgokWYIbAuXJpq7ZIwnK3_jNV2gdKcgorkZL07LFoWjKwWS4-kq41n1LHxSTeqXwpB_K0GKzFTuIAxUf4EDk8_WGp0idyc

y4mc9RL52VeoSI4BJ5WVpZEiPKj6H8JAMbUl7K7_CeDt3COswErm6ljD4m-IVhWLkPKLqEQu5Y5vm0r24wkXKTjI99v6140k4Gjtz42ITOFQVeXUgp7Tt3tj6qz7iImQyOGRqTqpRRzSaqnF0PihqEhgkPke86U81aQR1KcQunfyi9-zq2q0japS-QAF2ms6SSu

y4m5VUiUnpwI7jOURA8DakVJUbGk9mWIYN8Pq9LF8XWVw1ISFpZPFp4Pk9nnvlYwLprtn1vzzHdL2EFL9Yar8GnihxDDGIVXdSPresbXtK2fhvDHX6ygcfuD9YKzFtdkP0oF9VGZYp26TfhcnvZ4rb3fBmiGmDcwMs_FrcwI26f7McUl4dJ6ihKqLm5rGkQaPeA

The driver's side bumper took a hard hit to the concrete, and that would be my concern for frame damage. The bumper is stout and is a direct connection to the frame.
y4mGEAMU-CkB8q7ZFHCL-jKo8uamUecOg4-iPuM_I_DIWoZVKO18ZjWMdRxqwdTSsdJK5qkc05uWBvs8BCTrXKpj69d5O6SCXvxOeBsxE161NCvWeHuCnQ-0HC3Sz1SR9zSnDkl86g0xxPkgzs7zFBpaV1NcMg9RasflOr3IADSBEq41QMDe4VKk0nSwmYjPetV

Meanwhile, I'm calling around to salvage yards to see about a replacement bed. And looking around at trucks with flatbeds to see what my options are. I'd love some input from everyone on flatbeds....pictures of trucks that have them, ideas, etc.

-Kevin

Kpack

Adventurer
I had some time today to get the bed off and take a closer look. The bed bolts came off without too much of an issue. I had soaked them for several hours with PB Blaster, so maybe that helped. I removed all the connected wiring, the fuel filler, etc. And with four guys we easily picked the bed up and put it on the ground. I have to say I'm kind of liking the no bed look.
y4m7ZAK5nACOKnbzxp_yh5Epj8aCxyyExF1MnRF9DjI6onoBdYbAnAr07TfBdyaybbf9qBaV6Q7P4vxcpG-kBjmk7JrI7ZTvsa4qB_-D4i2U52iIJ-cG6xsJPux5tbyi1XrmuNCkCRnnqjmNBQiANhzem2UvMf3UbFxVYWvxsPKS_MyUhUp4xqlaEyryfm9lfLA

y4mpZ0C5DHgiqnEfZsOknrVKSVCIu7Yj9yHQWKO_uqEx_eK8JsX2GjsFKp9b5xVyYU5usI6IxGnjFQz8pr5luI7Glmi44zwscdtgnZfso66l3RZzb5rSnH92Jpq9C6QhbGprMqPhqsDPrfkHZpZtQxm0ahlmgKUQT4dCnvdXrE24glqnfsxgsioXK7Ovozj7aQn

y4mS_uuI_cBqlnsaE1JitpRjgAE6ZphOR2S8HXp7lIJlxwH_vY6ApQs9G17Fc-qkd6eTFKUniOrUp_tv5xfIz-HFzf3qNUwDMYMYWiDHHEkGnmQ7Iaxbo5RWTAfx8BK3jTopB1-j629VuGNzHHHUa10Ae4noXPoxfPI_t8Q1qVHDGLFkDCnY3LlQBSXACdwO0Zb

y4mP7AFXGekBGmdVHLhZCLYywPacKCGcfV40nO6ajYUtwyf9yrjoeiieiMv5MxMXYM15P1qPfnzM4F91EPb1UvIZnNHE5tWFgRhSPD4Be1shePriGwL5xT2yMoyThJAflouZLtq9ciQRvCXWSPBgEecvqE00jF6mDZ5RT3JonzozAXSs7Wc5EWPTeKPPvhCtkFM

I was able to take a closer look at the damage. The driver's side of the bumper took a huge hit. It bent in the front support for the side bar. It also broke the bar above the rear weld...the welds are crazy strong on this.
y4mgWwRZCKo06IHc7sEF5GA62n0kAXvBbCcOVBPdTn4grAy1QBlTidTWYPp1KyuHeEGPcq_jfjiBhHml_zjY4JCMaqKB8zySWnouCkGNw7MQRp3dUjayQG1Yh8xW5FZU33l2wIDVNjLKZXTc5RUp60S9Af0YJ-BH6uGs407sfOE8oaF1zQMbk3nMx0wglTB3rx2

It bent in the whole driver's side of the bumper as well. See the fold right below the corner
y4mW8JaWiSNEQEzQLZxqhCfaYZbggIgKPFOXBISc6r85fcdSqk8wsBw5lPgPyob5m5ISL_jE3jbWHUsbuaJ74sONbes6UeBjkc9oPoYcOf4N-Xjw4D-bM4ICWZZ7yeDc4TLkfeIW4NlAlaSdBGYbrTNUqPAoui_3VJJvhl0AHvbF9jCzU6TNZZ6Q21PKG7vQKqf

It also looks like it may have moved the whole bumper to the passenger side. This is the driver's frame rail
y4mGlThwAmULqzIe8sELvPixhXzJwUnO3Nc_TdLypesx9TuKliVZIviaBtaZlj7jALV_iNV9mfDaUI8tTq55RPKmraRhYzECQRBLlQ31ODgWG9XYZzbLsJ_6ljMPzOmj1V6Dh7KdXlODTBH40lsHEs8ggPSwydKrs8IyiO8uX2CXU4XFeMzhDAo5SsQW0EvEDkp

And the rail on the passenger side
y4mtUVQM-KhfITlc8MaYHDFor3--nm2laUKc0uUk0A5pR-YqXu6cUNJm49RoNqjmIoWIukEXXDAWut92E9GJmeRUkjstf2Cf9pNaGQtKBaQszl5TYoAw80nVlHsJCcI5T5MFs6rygGkCjZfw1s6iFN-6z9QrCoajBUhtni5kq6LeM9Oc-ZPwGdAM_Nllq-fLeef

It appears it tweaked the back of the frame rails, right where the bumper attaches. I don't think it did anything further up. The truck will be getting a four wheel alignment in a few weeks (booked out), so we'll see how that goes. If they can align it, then I'm less concerned about the frame. Then it's a matter of trying to fix the bumper and deciding what I want to do with the bed. I have a line on a couple of replacement beds but they are far away. Also been looking around at what others have done with building flatbeds or cages.

Last but not least the driver's axle is bent. The tire/wheel on there during the accident sustained a hug hit that bent the SCS rim at the bead....probably 1/4-1/2" inward. No breakage. I swapped it out for my spare and watched the wheel spin on jackstands.....it wobbles in and out. So if the truck aligns, then off to replace the axle.

bkg

Explorer
Last but not least the driver's axle is bent. The tire/wheel on there during the accident sustained a hug hit that bent the SCS rim at the bead....probably 1/4-1/2" inward. No breakage. I swapped it out for my spare and watched the wheel spin on jackstands.....it wobbles in and out. So if the truck aligns, then off to replace the axle.

Have insurance decided who's paying? If it's all getting turned in, take advantage of the bent axle housing and order up a Diamond. The PO of my xtracab had a similar incident right after I had agreed to purchase (though, his was parked at the time). Insurance spec'd a new rear axle; he took the opportunity to upgrade to a 3.5" tubed Diamond full floater... May be worth considering something similar if the numbers work.

smokeysevin

Observer
Have insurance decided who's paying? If it's all getting turned in, take advantage of the bent axle housing and order up a Diamond. The PO of my xtracab had a similar incident right after I had agreed to purchase (though, his was parked at the time). Insurance spec'd a new rear axle; he took the opportunity to upgrade to a 3.5" tubed Diamond full floater... May be worth considering something similar if the numbers work.
I got my camburg upper arms like that after the accident in my truck. Still came out cheaper than oe.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
They have not decided, but I can pretty much guarantee that fault will be ours. The guy who cut my wife off didn't stop, and my wife is the one who lost control, so it falls on us. We don't have collision on the truck anyways, so it'll cover damage to other vehicles but not to ours. So everything I do from here on out is out of my own pocket.

vkfzj80

They have not decided, but I can pretty much guarantee that fault will be ours. The guy who cut my wife off didn't stop, and my wife is the one who lost control, so it falls on us. We don't have collision on the truck anyways, so it'll cover damage to other vehicles but not to ours. So everything I do from here on out is out of my own pocket.
I hope you get it all sorted and it works out for you... this could be an opportunity to look into a flatbed configuration??? just saying :)

Kpack

Adventurer
A flatbed is definitely in the running for consideration. If I did one, it would probably be something I build myself. The imported ones are stupidly expensive, and I really don't like how far out they stick to the sides, or the massive headache racks they have. I need something that is going to be tight to the contours of the cab. The trails I run are tight even for Jeeps, and I can't have something hanging 6 inches off either side.

I had some time yesterday to clean off rust on the rear frame members. It's so easy to get to now. I wire wheeled it off, converted the remainder with Ospho, then painted over with Rustoleum. When I figure out the bed situation I will spray everything with Fluid Film. And for good measure I slapped the shovel and Hi-Lift back on...maybe it'll make it look like I did all this on purpose.
y4mRySIftd5Ui0QKchKXTOH1bhXO96Aj9YTlwuUNt3opqK_9VQ2sx53tqNQhixg0mq8b4WIBF4hZfIMIjlzGHg0qRcH27o6HgWRPpNYWVIjGbCvwuO_ZnZkob_OLzUHyHva67Qvh9jzQLe_d6PSpEsKYReTKTrEjvuZw3Rska6zAoZLfVvr6B0DMUVWls7O_g3J

I also figured out a quick solution for taillights. I picked up a set of the magnet lights that they slap on cars being towed. It plugs right into the 4-pin trailer harness. I had to splice in additional wires to lengthen between the two lights so I could put on on each side. Slapped them on the bumper and I'm back in business.
y4m074eA2O9KanornaF6vpgLBvb8N1gXJA070xZmY67DK4xeIBGNZpGMSwj_OzJtVwEIhHgKuWAT2VIf5oBk3EcmaBZbrVyH29OnOMvS6uNrYSgfso6313eo7b12BQ3l77zbYmjoXx9vSielj3eDsWezgtC8z5ApAYf64DPgNYq6dFSw8wjj7QNri2mHIJcB13F

Truck goes in for an alignment today, so hopefully that all comes back good. If that checks out, then I'll get it with my mechanic to have them deal with the bent axle. I doubt it's the housing....it's likely either the hub or the axle shaft. Or both. I don't have time to deal with it myself so I'll let the shop do it.

Kpack

Adventurer
Just go straight to building a camper on the frame rails . No flatbed needed !! Lol
Yeah, I've seen a few of those. There's a guy rolling around my town with an older Tacoma with a huge camper built from 2x4's and plywood on it. Looks crazy sketchy.

I guess I should explain what I need from the truck. I camp, but really only camp out of the truck maybe 3-4 times a year for an overnighter. Not enough to justify a camper or even a roof-top tent. My life is just busy, and at this point I can't take the time to be out somewhere for multiple days at a time. I use my truck pretty regularly on 4x4 trails around me (not Forest Service roads...these are tight and technical trails), so I need it to remain slim and not top-heavy. I use the bed all the time for hauling stuff, and I need it to tow. So in other words, I need my truck to be good at many things, and not just one thing.

My two options are: 1.) find a replacement bed and cut it to fit the high clearance bumper. Repaint on bed would be required. 2.) Fab a flatbed/box combo that meets all the above requirements. That will take much longer because I don't have the space or equipment to fab it yet.....working on it though.

If I could, I would do something similar to what this guy did. Except no camper, and no rear lower box. But I like the idea of having built-in storage on the sides, plus leaving the bed open to throw stuff in/sleep in.
y4mmnLzsBlL_6XIU6h5INv2MxLyoT-O3wFQO3KPOKPkQZc6dB79M7DSBZNYiqR584ln2PZSdbCraTVa68vZe3aGjNv6e0Lv3gMa0BrbNsbj2DqBF0uxboRs_apNUQ9nUIpo1qb7mHlnM3AD8TS0fpq8uPdZntrlmG87Q0CGijKt5c1yF1JZeS4cU3tDB4qRtcWk

y4m8fKYQj9r1vbqNfV01OyStoQbAeBh-O6oyU36ulFsl4brWQ2swouhO15EpMQnT0_0Q2sK-H9rV_aDMmnkkuKcvN8zDXxFj5wnW2Kr75pvDnmw1lgO1I1uEjFTGHulxHkguKjTh7HluDE8qmt5Acz3a4WkdYCFlDGk-CNGNDk_TBXjHej7CMarNu9aw5iK_1rc

y4mMXpDUNS5ATE1gEyo6ztFhlMnfLmNGIHkx2US9kR00BEeVJJUaEkOIchXDjO_f-jFKwaCG68xTLfOtXKWjL7Q_-aKNDuhUAhudXqu_wuMKi2MM36d2BxLrY3wBjaO-59Z6kCeqCLPjoFMQebyLkQGK-3aCEZKNHZctR3G04cpZsKWVn0tasxhViwof-Q2MiIR

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, I've seen a few of those. There's a guy rolling around my town with an older Tacoma with a huge camper built from 2x4's and plywood on it. Looks crazy sketchy.

I guess I should explain what I need from the truck. I camp, but really only camp out of the truck maybe 3-4 times a year for an overnighter. Not enough to justify a camper or even a roof-top tent. My life is just busy, and at this point I can't take the time to be out somewhere for multiple days at a time. I use my truck pretty regularly on 4x4 trails around me (not Forest Service roads...these are tight and technical trails), so I need it to remain slim and not top-heavy. I use the bed all the time for hauling stuff, and I need it to tow. So in other words, I need my truck to be good at many things, and not just one thing.

My two options are: 1.) find a replacement bed and cut it to fit the high clearance bumper. Repaint on bed would be required. 2.) Fab a flatbed/box combo that meets all the above requirements. That will take much longer because I don't have the space or equipment to fab it yet.....working on it though.

If I could, I would do something similar to what this guy did. Except no camper, and no rear lower box. But I like the idea of having built-in storage on the sides, plus leaving the bed open to throw stuff in/sleep in.
y4mmnLzsBlL_6XIU6h5INv2MxLyoT-O3wFQO3KPOKPkQZc6dB79M7DSBZNYiqR584ln2PZSdbCraTVa68vZe3aGjNv6e0Lv3gMa0BrbNsbj2DqBF0uxboRs_apNUQ9nUIpo1qb7mHlnM3AD8TS0fpq8uPdZntrlmG87Q0CGijKt5c1yF1JZeS4cU3tDB4qRtcWk

y4m8fKYQj9r1vbqNfV01OyStoQbAeBh-O6oyU36ulFsl4brWQ2swouhO15EpMQnT0_0Q2sK-H9rV_aDMmnkkuKcvN8zDXxFj5wnW2Kr75pvDnmw1lgO1I1uEjFTGHulxHkguKjTh7HluDE8qmt5Acz3a4WkdYCFlDGk-CNGNDk_TBXjHej7CMarNu9aw5iK_1rc

y4mMXpDUNS5ATE1gEyo6ztFhlMnfLmNGIHkx2US9kR00BEeVJJUaEkOIchXDjO_f-jFKwaCG68xTLfOtXKWjL7Q_-aKNDuhUAhudXqu_wuMKi2MM36d2BxLrY3wBjaO-59Z6kCeqCLPjoFMQebyLkQGK-3aCEZKNHZctR3G04cpZsKWVn0tasxhViwof-Q2MiIR
Didn't he used to be a member here?

My two cents.. I prefer the truck bed. Easier to add a tonneau or canopy to a factory bed if need be and I like the deeper bedsides for hauling.

Edit: Yep. Thought so:

Haven't seen them post in ages.

Last edited:

huntsonora

Explorer
UTE! This was posted on another site 5 years ago.

Attachments

• D4DFE6C8-E05F-4BD4-822C-6CE055550827.jpeg
    D4DFE6C8-E05F-4BD4-822C-6CE055550827.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 23

Kpack

Adventurer
Didn't he used to be a member here?

My two cents.. I prefer the truck bed. Easier to add a tonneau or canopy to a factory bed if need be and I like the deeper bedsides for hauling.

Edit: Yep. Thought so:

Haven't seen them post in ages.
I liked what he did with the boxes on the bed. My biggest concern with a setup like that would be how much does it rattle off road. I hate rattles. If I were to build something, it would have to be noise-free.

Just dropping a new bed would be by far the easiest. Probably the most cost-effective as well.

UTE! This was posted on another site 5 years ago.
Couple of problems with that Ute as it stands in the pictures.
1.) Look at how far out past the sides of the cab the bed is. Can't use that on the trails.
2.) The headache rack is huge!!
3.) Need bedsides....I know they have other models that have them...But how much do they rattle?
4.) Rear wheel clearance? Can an oversized tire reach full bump without hitting the tray?

Those are the types of issues that steer me away from a commercial flatbed. If I had the tools and time I could possibly make one that fits my needs.

Kpack

Adventurer
Truck aligned pretty well yesterday. Front wasn't too off which I was surprised about. In the end they got toe and camber right in the middle of factory specs, and pushed caster to +3.4 on both sides. These trucks handle so much better with more caster, plus it pushes the wheel forward and keeps it from rubbing the firewall at lock and bump. That's the beauty of aftermarket UCA's.

Now I need to get it in to repair the axle.

-Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online