Overland Expo East comments?

Steve_382

We went to the East show this weekend. It's the third East show we have attended. Last one we attended was the 2019 show at Arrington VA and the other one was 2018 I think ( the great mud fest show anyhow). I was a bit disappointed with the number of exhibitors for this show compared to the other two. As far as big/bigger rigs, you had GXV, BoXManufactur, and Earth Cruiser. No Bliss Mobil, no Earth Roamer, etc. Maybe everyone is just sold out of product and don't feel the need to go to the shows if they are booked for the next 18 months. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't that impressed this time.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We went to the East show this weekend. It's the third East show we have attended. Last one we attended was the 2019 show at Arrington VA and the other one was 2018 I think ( the great mud fest show anyhow). I was a bit disappointed with the number of exhibitors for this show compared to the other two. As far as big/bigger rigs, you had GXV, BoXManufactur, and Earth Cruiser. No Bliss Mobil, no Earth Roamer, etc. Maybe everyone is just sold out of product and don't feel the need to go to the shows if they are booked for the next 18 months. Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't that impressed this time.

we would have loved to be there… but being on the west coast, the east event is simply too far. On a side note, the borders are still closed and that didn’t make it any more attractive. Cheers

RoamIt

This was my first ever 'Overlanding' expo, so I don't have a frame of reference. But since I'm leaning more towards the larger rigs, I too wished there were more there to look at. It was a sea of roof top tents and vans.

That being said, I did enjoy the class sessions I attended, and I walked away with some ideas for the build. And on a personal note, there was a Ridgeback there. My Ridgeback, Ranger, got cancer a few months ago and I had to put him down. Being able to pet one and give him a good scratch was about worth the long drive there. :cry:

68camaro

Any River...Any Place

Like you this was my third, and I attended the earlier two you did.

I went there with a short shopping list of smaller items I didn't get in 2019 East, but none of those vendors showed up. There were tons of big ticket vendors but few small item ticket vendors, there weren't any dedicated solar companies either as a small briefcase style was on my list and past shows had several vendors. I heard since West just finished on 9/26 many smaller vendors couldn't do such a quick across country turnaround. You couldn't even buy a lb bag of ground coffee and a third food truck would be nice, possible BBQ:). Hopefully 2022 goes back to regular interval schedule.

Bliss and ER weren't there and EC brought the Terranova which is pretty darn nice, but not their EXP or FX. Global Adventure had a couple private vehicles for sale but no new builds. I do think it is because they are selling and delivering everything they build and seems all vendors are booked for 1-3 years out. I would love to see Provan Tiger show up but I guess they feel no need since their rigs sell themselves, I didn't even see any Provan Tigers in camping area. In the DIY/Showcase there were a couple impressive very large military surplus builds that drew huge attention.

One thing I was very happy to notice was that there were more vendors doing builds or offering components on east coast. It's always good to see our options increase closer to home.

All in all I think the Expo was really good and even the rain held off....... I look forward to 2022!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
. I heard since West just finished on 9/26 many smaller vendors couldn't do such a quick across country turnaround.

This was our issue. We're now in full Christmas shipping mode with our on-line orders, OEM orders and simply couldn't make the jump from Rocky Mountains West to West to East on this years short time table. We're building out fy22's calendar for next year's events now and we keep hearing some of the smaller, regional events are planning on coming on-line so we're keeping them in mind as well. Our inventory/supply chain isn't an issue for us since we in-source and manufacture in the USA/Colorado. Glad to hear it was fun!

Last edited:

Old Tanker

This was the first for my wife and me. The 7P classes were great, and we want to go back for the recovery series next time around. Oddly impressed by the porta-john service, heard bad things about the shower units, and disappointed by the limited number of food trucks. Someone should rent a vendor space, call themselves "Forgotten Essentials", and sell batteries, trash bags, paper towels, TP, bacon... The bright stadium lights shining through our tent all night were a major annoyance.

Last edited:

potfish

I was there just for the day on Saturday, my first time. I wanted to look at offroad trailers so I had a pretty good experience. I was able to see Patriot, Off Grid, Boreas, Mission Overland, Escapod, Escapade, Hiker, Kimberley, Overkill, Taxa, Xpedition and maybe a couple of others. I did not see Opus though I think they were supposed to be there, and I wanted to see TetonX but they were not exhibiting. Maybe there were some other different ones in the camping area but I didn't have the energy to dive in there.

I was also looking at roof tents so there were plenty for me to look at, and while it wasn't likely I'd stretch to James Baroud I wanted to see what justifies the price, but they didn't show up.

I thought the food situation was abysmal. I expected there to be lines so I packed snacks but I was surprised to see what, 2 food trucks with 50 people in line at each? I'd go fully self catering next time.

I agree with the earlier comment that it was a shame that there weren't more smaller item vendors, but for me it was well worth going and I'm very glad I did, because here in the northeast it's very hard to actually see and feel these items in real life. I learned a lot that you just can't get from YouTube, and ultimately came away with some firmer thoughts on which direction I want to go with trailer setup. For all the small items, it'll be back to YouTube and it's less of a problem if the occasional mistake happens.

Lastly, there were several occasions where I was walking past someone who had a particular piece of equipment (not exhibiting, just an owner) and a "how are you getting on with...?" question turned into a 10 or 20 minute conversation. Without a single exception EVERYONE was super friendly.

LtFuzz

Explorer
First time for us as well. We went Saturday. Nice to see the new Bronco up close, and the Volkswagen booth was actually kind of interesting (love the new ID4). Disappointed that other more 4x4-oriented manufacturers skipped it -- no Jeep or Land Rover?

Pros:
-Very well organized... easy in, easy out, plenty of port-a-potties, parking, etc.
-If you were in the market for a trailer or a tent or needed inspiration for a van/Class B build there was a LOT to see.
-Harley was doing Pan American test rides, and they had a really nice self-guided route
-Some cool electric models on display, like the Volcon, electric Hummer, and some other boutique e-Bikes

Cons:
-The food and coffee situation was abysmal. 2 food trucks and 1 coffee truck for the entire event? What? Charlottesville has a solid food truck scene... were they even tracking this event?
-Not as many motorcycle vendors as I was hoping, and no KTM/Husq/Honda/BMW etc booths... Yamaha had a booth, but they were only doing SxS test rides... doesn't really fit into the "Overland/Adventure" category in my opinion but whatever..
-Just soooo many current gen Tacomas, 4Runners, and JKUs... good lord, I knew people bought a lot of those but it was like 90% of all the trucks there

JCliftonB

-Just soooo many current gen Tacomas, 4Runners, and JKUs... good lord, I knew people bought a lot of those but it was like 90% of all the trucks there

As a new owner of a 3rd gen Tacoma, it's a very unsettling thing to see where this market is taking "overlanding". I haven't been to an expo before, but I have spent months and months on the road in the continental US in a rig I built myself before I bought the Tacoma. I thought I was green to the overlanding community, and I probably am, but I can probably safely assume I am more of an "overlander" than the Youtube-influencers convincing the masses that every "overland" rig needs to fit 35" tires and weigh the vehicle down with as much bolt-on equipment as possible.

Don't get me wrong, the rigs that are being built are really cool in their own right, but from what I have read and heard and seen, specifically from Scott and Matt here on their Podcast, Overland Expo's seem like they are turning into gear trade shows and less about learning to travel and finding vehicles and equipment to facilitate true overlanding. Kind of sad, but the rarified air that is left to those who venture out is also nice to take in.

First Expo here also! Living in the Midwest it was a bit of a drive, but I turned it into a mini-vacation by bookending it with a couple National Parks.

The venue was easy to find and parking was a breeze. I was only there on Sunday due to my other plans, but it still seemed to have plenty for me to check out. I'm getting a wedge camper for my Tacoma next Spring(deposit already made) and I wanted to see the offerings close-up. Yes, I made a $10k purchase sight unseen ?

The exhibitors we're VERY friendly and a couple even offered me to climb inside their personal rigs without me even asking! More than anything I just needed the confirmation that I made the right decision. To echo others, the food situation was poor. Hopefully next year I'll be camping on-site and able to answer any questions like others did for me this year.

gatorgrizz27

As a new owner of a 3rd gen Tacoma, it's a very unsettling thing to see where this market is taking "overlanding". I haven't been to an expo before, but I have spent months and months on the road in the continental US in a rig I built myself before I bought the Tacoma. I thought I was green to the overlanding community, and I probably am, but I can probably safely assume I am more of an "overlander" than the Youtube-influencers convincing the masses that every "overland" rig needs to fit 35" tires and weigh the vehicle down with as much bolt-on equipment as possible.

Don't get me wrong, the rigs that are being built are really cool in their own right, but from what I have read and heard and seen, specifically from Scott and Matt here on their Podcast, Overland Expo's seem like they are turning into gear trade shows and less about learning to travel and finding vehicles and equipment to facilitate true overlanding. Kind of sad, but the rarified air that is left to those who venture out is also nice to take in.

Yep. The hipsters have ruined another thing, car camping. It has become about how it “looks” rather than if it serves any purpose. I somewhat regularly see vehicles driving around town with Maxtrax and rotopax attached to them, day after day.

Won’t be long people will be buying ”builds” secondhand, having no idea what half the stuff even is.

Steve_382

Or more importantly, even need any of those bolted-on additions based on their planned travel... Sad.

In 1992, we took a Chevy van that was insulated and paneled, but basically an open box inside, put 4 bikes on bike tights raised off the floor, back packs strapped to the walls, a Coleman cooler, etc. and traveled around out west for 4 months. It worked fine. We slept on the floor with our feet under the front of the bikes. You could do the same setup in a new Chevy van for less than $60,000 even now if you wanted to. Just depends on what you want, I guess.

mtn_climber

I was there just for the day on Saturday, my first time. I wanted to look at offroad trailers so I had a pretty good experience. I was able to see Patriot, Off Grid, Boreas, Mission Overland, Escapod, Escapade, Hiker, Kimberley, Overkill, Taxa, Xpedition and maybe a couple of others. I did not see Opus though I think they were supposed to be there, and I wanted to see TetonX but they were not exhibiting. Maybe there were some other different ones in the camping area but I didn't have the energy to dive in there.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the trailers - we are considering buying one that won't hinder our travels.

I hear you, Steve, regarding cheap car/van/truck camping: I used to sleep next to my wet skis and boots in the winter, and my gnarly climbing in the warmer months in the back of old Nissan Pathfinder. However, as my spouse and I have gotten a bit older, I'm not ashamed to say I now enjoy being a bit more comfortable than when I was younger...and single.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94