(partially) new Tundra coming?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Speaking of 4X4, awd, fwd and such.

I present you the best awd or 4x4 system ever engineered by the mankind: The system of Land Rover Defender, RR and Disco I.
It was combination of mechanical simplicity, robustness and amazing performance (3.5 low gear ratio). No chain connection. It was all gears.

I am shocked that this system is ignored by the truck / suv manufacturers.
Toyota has something similar in the TLC 80, 100 and 105 but not as sophisticated as of LR. (You couldn't go to low gear without locking the central differential)

Attachments

• Lr3.JPG
    Lr3.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Lr2.JPG
    Lr2.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 27

skrypj

I always find one thing strange with Toyota pickups that is you can't get a rear locker in lower trims as an option.
You have to go to the higher trim to get it as a part of the trim such as TRD or TRD Pro.
I personally would like a lower trim truck, with a higher payload than TRD, and a rear locker as an option.
I know it easy to trash Ford, and maybe there is some truth to it, but you can get the FX4 package on XL models. while it is virtually imposable to get one on the SR or SR5.
A very basic F-150 can have a factory rear locker. I saw one in a hunting resort in south NJ.

You dont even need FX4 to get a locker on an F150. You can just option the rear locker on any trim or configuration. XL regular cab 2x4 with the 3.3L V6? Sure, have a locker lol.

Honestly though, if I had a choice, I would way rather have a torsen/truetrac. I have a locker in my F150 now and every single situation I have ever been in the torsen would have done the job, and would be 10x better for daily driving and general use. The locker is annoying most of the time.

Last edited:

skrypj

Hmm. Yeah, that's not great. I was hoping for a little better. Guessing that means an SR5 crewmax would be worse?

Guess when the time comes, I'll just have to look at the door sticker on the actual truck I am interested in.

Unless they are playing a lot of games with GVWR.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Speaking of 4X4, awd, fwd and such.

I present you the best awd or 4x4 system ever engineered by the mankind: The system of Land Rover Defender, RR and Disco I.
It was combination of mechanical simplicity, robustness and amazing performance (3.5 low gear ratio). No chain connection. It was all gears.

I am shocked that this system is ignored by the truck / suv manufacturers.
Toyota has something similar in the TLC 80, 100 and 105 but not as sophisticated as of LR. (You couldn't go to low gear without locking the central differential)

It’s actually not a very good full time system. It’s an open diff unlike Toyotas which has a limited slip.

Grassland

Nobody knows yet if Toyota is going to have a wide range of real world payloads across all the trims based on options packages though.
Just because the online specs quote X payload in a certain trim and cab/bed arrangement doesn't necessarily mean that's what it will have
Ford is bad for that. With its mind boggling array of option packages, payload can range hundreds of pounds across a single engine/cab/bed length configuration.
Toyota obviously slimmed that down with basically two powertrains, hybrid and non, but it could vary wildly.
I'm also assuming they know the fleet market isn't shopping Toyota in most cases or they would have worked harder to have a low trim high payload option.
At most they will be shooting for some smaller owner/operator or couple truck outfits. The rest will be people looking for personal trucks to commute, tow, haul etc on a part time basis.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
It’s actually not a very good full time system. It’s an open diff unlike Toyotas which has a limited slip.

hm… isn’t open differential, that can be mechanically Locked 100%, better than complicated central slip diff where you can’t even put it in low gear without locking it electrically? Also size wise that transfer case is smaller than the Toyota’s. This is not to say Toyota’s T case was bad.

skrypj

Nobody knows yet if Toyota is going to have a wide range of real world payloads across all the trims based on options packages though.
Just because the online specs quote X payload in a certain trim and cab/bed arrangement doesn't necessarily mean that's what it will have
Ford is bad for that. With its mind boggling array of option packages, payload can range hundreds of pounds across a single engine/cab/bed length configuration.
Toyota obviously slimmed that down with basically two powertrains, hybrid and non, but it could vary wildly.
I'm also assuming they know the fleet market isn't shopping Toyota in most cases or they would have worked harder to have a low trim high payload option.
At most they will be shooting for some smaller owner/operator or couple truck outfits. The rest will be people looking for personal trucks to commute, tow, haul etc on a part time basis.

Yes, it sucks ford has options

But ford makes all that info easily accessible on their site. Go under specs on the f150 page and they have the GVWR and max payload as well as gcwr’s for every configuration available in two tables. They are the only mfg that makes it so easy to look up.

And if you read the Ford Builders guides they list the weight for every option available. I added up the options for my 2014 and subtracted them from the max listed payload and was within like 20 lbs or something ridiculous of my actual payload. You can figure out your Fords exact payload without ever seeing the truck in person basically.

Toyota, GM and Ram make you go through some obscure spec page that only lists the specs for individual configurations.

skrypj

hm… isn’t open differential, that can be mechanically Locked 100%, better than complicated central slip diff where you can’t even put it in low gear without locking it electrically? Also size wise that transfer case is smaller than the Toyota’s. This is not to say Toyota’s T case was bad.

My GX has a torsen center diff with 4hi unlocked, 4lo unlocked, 4hi locked, and 4lo locked. Im 99% sure the LC 100’s and 200’s use this same setup as well as some 4Runners. The Sequoia has 2wd as well as all of the others.

When ive wheeled my gx and never even locked the center diff since the lsd was enough to pull it through, even lifting tires.

I use 4lo unlocked to maneuver my trailer around the yard and its awesome. No binding on pavement or tearing up the lawn

Last edited:

Grassland

Yes, it sucks ford has options

But ford makes all that info easily accessible on their site. Go under specs on the f150 page and they have the GVWR and max payload as well as gcwr’s for every configuration available in two tables. They are the only mfg that makes it so easy to look up.

And if you read the Ford Builders guides they list the weight for every option available. I added up the options for my 2014 and subtracted them from the max listed payload and was within like 20 lbs or something ridiculous of my actual payload. You can figure out your Fords exact payload without ever seeing the truck in person basically.

Toyota, GM and Ram make you go through some obscure spec page that only lists the specs for individual configurations.
I meant it's bad in the way that browsing trucks online unless the window sticker with GVWR is available, just configuration doesn't give you an idea of what the payload on that particular truck is.

If Ford is going to drop incentives going forward, it certainly makes Toyota pricing more palatable.
Around where I live, historically Toyota just laughs at you when you ask for incentives, or you would see maybe $1000 or $1500 off. (This is last I looked anyways, may have changed.)

Ford you could see 8-10k off MSRP at the right time. And it was that way for many years, so the "real price" was the discounted price, not sticker.

Take that away and some people are going to look at other brands. Maybe not tons of them, but some.

bkg

Explorer
I meant it's bad in the way that browsing trucks online unless the window sticker with GVWR is available, just configuration doesn't give you an idea of what the payload on that particular truck is.

If Ford is going to drop incentives going forward, it certainly makes Toyota pricing more palatable.
Around where I live, historically Toyota just laughs at you when you ask for incentives, or you would see maybe $1000 or $1500 off. (This is last I looked anyways, may have changed.)

Ford you could see 8-10k off MSRP at the right time. And it was that way for many years, so the "real price" was the discounted price, not sticker.

Take that away and some people are going to look at other brands. Maybe not tons of them, but some.

These days, Ford doesn't have to offer incentives... none do... because supply is so limited.

But, to Ford's credit, they do post window stickers on line. So if you do a build, they have an option to search inventory and see stickers. Perfect? Naw... but it's helpful.

phsycle

Adventurer

When I bought my old F150 XLT back in 2015, it stickered at $48k. But with incentives, it came down to $37k. Looking at a similarly optioned Tundra (SR5), it was about the same at $38k, which was I think $1,500 off MSRP.

So there is definitely more “incentives” with Ford. Now, that is all gone.

HOWEVER, all the incentives, cash back, etc is a red herring. Price is the price. They can set the MSRP to $1M and give you a 95% discount to make most people feel better. I couldn’t care less, personally.

I look now, and yup, pricing for an XLT and SR5 is still about the same.
I don’t think that’ll change.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
These days, Ford doesn't have to offer incentives... none do... because supply is so limited.

Yup. The only incentives I'm seeing out the is $9,500 off on Ram Classics.

When I bought my old F150 XLT back in 2015, it stickered at $48k. But with incentives, it came down to $37k. Looking at a similarly optioned Tundra (SR5), it was about the same at $38k, which was I think $1,500 off MSRP.

So there is definitely more “incentives” with Ford. Now, that is all gone.
Not seeing incentives with anyone out there really. Once they start coming out with incentives again, I'll start looking. Not interested in paying full MSRP.

Grassland

My truck was $40400 sticker and I paid $31988 or something. Last year a 50k truck was realistically 40ish.
Tundras have not been anywhere near 40k where I live. Far North of that. They start at 47k for whatever entry model double cab is currently.
On a normal year the more or less equivalent Ford would be 51 subtract 7-10k. Making it cheaper than the Toyota.
Outside of Covid, Ford has talked about moving to a build to order model, and not offering large incentives.
If suddenly the Toyota is now the same price or cheaper, that changes my outlook on it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My truck was $40400 sticker and I paid $31988 or something. Last year a 50k truck was realistically 40ish.
Tundras have not been anywhere near 40k where I live. Far North of that. They start at 47k for whatever entry model double cab is currently.
On a normal year the more or less equivalent Ford would be 51 subtract 7-10k. Making it cheaper than the Toyota.
Outside of Covid, Ford has talked about moving to a build to order model, and not offering large incentives.
If suddenly the Toyota is now the same price or cheaper, that changes my outlook on it.
From what I can see around here, MSRP on al XLT Supercrew 4x4 w/ 3.5 seems to be low 60's. I'm guessing an SR5 Crewmax will be comparable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles