2021 F150 vs F250

Porkchopexpress

So go figure, my dad's 3500 (18 or 19) with the obnoxiously large computer screen died. totally. I think it JUST went out of warranty. First the nav system locked up and wouldn't point the correct direction. then the screen would remain on even after the timer shuts off the dome lights. then the whole thing just wacked out. he had to pull the fuse, which the dealer showed was under the hood on the passenger side. stupidest place for a fuse..should have been in the interior fuse pannel. anyway, they have to replace the ENTIRE head unit AND the computer. i think they are trying to figure out how to make it warrantiable because thats just insane. So that makes me nervous of course. because it could easily be a $5,000 repair. they just returned from a 5 week trip on the road with their 31' trailer too. imagine if that failed on the trip. needless to say he is trading it in for a different vehicle.
That's discouraging. I had a GMC canyon and the head unit was replaced twice under warranty. I traded it in for a new 4runner in 2018 that seems less dependent on computers and a reputation for reliability. I'll probably keep it forever.

D

Deleted member 9101

F150 is a great city truck and light jobsite type work rig. It is designed to be fuel efficient. Great driving truck. However... the build construction is not for simplicity or durability. Turbos, Engine Start/Stop, Direct Injection and more... is great while working but expensive and complicated to fix as it ages.

Uhhh... Turbos are easy to change on an F150 and cost ~480.00 brand new from Ford. They also last many hundreds of thousands of miles. DI is as reliable as any other fueling system (if not more reliable) and isn't at all complicated to repair.

The start stop feature actually makes the motor more reliable and last longer due to the way it works. Fords system rarely uses the starter....and that is an upgraded part along with the wiring.

FWIW: my dad has a 2015 Navigator with the 3.5. He has around 150k on it with about 100k of that having a travel trailer behind it. He's had zero issues. All he's done is a lot of oil changes, three spark plug changes, and few sets of tires.

D

Deleted member 9101

what does it use to restart then? if not the starter? either way its annoying (to me anyway).

Magic!! Lol.

Naaa.... It stops the motor at a point where one of the cylinders is ready to fire. Then it pre primes it with fuel and adjust the timing to make it very easy to start. Calling it start/stop is a bit off... It's more like pause/go.

Chorky

Observer
interesting. i thought that for a second, then thought na it can't be that simple. still not a fan. when i want to go, i dont want any hesitation.... but i see how it could be helpful in the city. not so sure i would say it reduces wear and tear though.

Jupiter58

I barely notice my start stop anymore. Has never affected my leaving from a light once. The motor starts back up quicker than 100%of the people I see react to a light change. By the time you take your foot off the brake the motor is running.

D

Deleted member 9101

I barely notice my start stop anymore. Has never affected my leaving from a light once. The motor starts back up quicker than 100%of the people I see react to a light change. By the time you take your foot off the brake the motor is running.

It will also restart I'd you wiggle the steering wheel or play with the A/C.

tacollie

Glamper
I was wondering the same thing. His build thread is gone too. So I'm thinking either perma-banned or he left and deleted his account?
Him and another member had what I can only assume was a drunken spat on the new Tundra thread. I'm assuming they both got banned. It's a good reminder to be polite and contribute in a positive way. Also, once the hooch gets poured stay off the internet ?

Grassland

Ah.
Yeah he stirred the pot over in the Toyota page which was kind of rude.
Toyota Landcruiser is a huge fanboy for Toyota tho, so I can totally see how that escalated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles