Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I like the slightly angled sides. This was likely done to keep the same Tent bed footprint.

Even though it would have meant a smaller tent bed on the midsized, the angled walls would have helped the aesthetics from seeming so bulky on the smaller trucks.

This really has me adding the full size to my list of potential new rigs.

Phreak480

Army Guy
No love for 8’ beds :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah us 8ft bed folks usually miss out on lots of goodies unfortunately. I guess one could mount it rearward and fabricate a fill for the front of the bed. Put a water tank below and some storage and then above make some extensions for the sides and maybe do removable storage boxes in that space or a drop down slide for a fridge.

kb1ejh

The fit kit is the bottom of the rear panel and the mounting hardware. The tops are "universal" and the rear bottom is custom to the make of the vehicle to get a seal. The color is if you want it to match...

sumnrfam

We've recently installed a furnace in the Canopy Camper and already have several nights/days tested in the truck this winter. We've slept in 20F evenings under sleet and snow and are using the truck as a mobile ski chalet on our trips to the slopes.

Here's our feedback:

1) Easy startup, 15+ sec to light the pilot.
2) Cut the gas off first nd let the furnace burn out instead of disconnecting lines or leaving them full of propane.
3) consider installing an RV fan in the camper to circulate, the furnace fan isn't super powerful.
4) the camper stays warmest on cold cold nights with the small be platform lifted, closing this platform will only heat the first floor.
5) may opt to get some sort of gauge to monitor propane levels, still on the first tank and have over 40 hours running it between HI and LO.
6) the Bedrug against the sidewalls of the camper help insulate and it'd be nice to insulate the canopy wings, probably going to craft something at some point.

Want to see our GP Factor install? Watch it here >> GP Factor Furnace Install
View attachment 638607
@msoverland @rino ,, based on this pic,, it looks like you could for sure mount a 10# Lp tank on each molle panel,, one plumbed, (drivers side), one backup, (passenger side), this is getting very interesting.....

hksjza70

What is everyone using to secure wires (for solar) on the roof?

I was thinking to find some wire clamps that could be attached to the track. I'm not running load\cross bars and dont intend to.

I've heard some are taping the wires to the roof? Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems like a mechanical attachment would be better.

rvrboy

All loaded up and heading off to the NMW for a weeks trip. A special thanks to @HudsonZRoamer for my custom cushions. Made with Sunbrella material and they are awesome! They arrived today just in time for my trip (y)

Update: A bit over 5000 miles total trip. San Juan NF, Ouray, Silverton CO and out to Moab UT. Truck and camper performed great. Unfortunately a family issue cut the trip shorter than planned, but it still was a good trip overall. A few pics more to come...

Attachments

• 083121 Dispersed Camping Ridgeway CO 07.JPG
    083121 Dispersed Camping Ridgeway CO 07.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • 083121 Drive to Ouray CO 02.JPG
    083121 Drive to Ouray CO 02.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 083121 Drive to Ouray CO 01.JPG
    083121 Drive to Ouray CO 01.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 112
  • 083121 Drive to Ouray CO 06.JPG
    083121 Drive to Ouray CO 06.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • 090121 Dispersed Camping Ridgeway CO 02.JPG
    090121 Dispersed Camping Ridgeway CO 02.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 114

timsuchocki

I tried m8s in the roof rails yesterday and they were too small, any luck finding out the size?
I used regular M8 carriage bolts on mine to mount my solar panels on the roof and they worked perfectly. I put the head of the carriage bolt into the slot...

M8's work on the lower slots and inside too, but for those you need to use the "jam" nuts, which are not as thick. The regular ones are too thick.

In a pinch, I've used 5/16 jam nuts in the lower slots too, but they don't work as well as the M8's.

colbs

What is everyone using to secure wires (for solar) on the roof?

I was thinking to find some wire clamps that could be attached to the track. I'm not running load\cross bars and dont intend to.

I've heard some are taping the wires to the roof? Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems like a mechanical attachment would be better.

Im working on the same thing. My plan is to use these bolt on anchor points in the the roof rails with m8 bolts. Then bundle wires and just probably zip tie them to those points. Will post pics when that is done. I’d love to get ahold of those “clips” Alu cab uses to tie down wires. You can see these on the inside of the roof for the solar wires before they enter the camper.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Question for the group: what are people doing for fridge solutions besides in the front of the truck bed? Long ways to reach for a camp beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne