Drug Dealer?

Jimba

Ok getting started on prepping this thing, just some simple things so far but more on the way. GAP tool was the first thing I ordered, I pulled off the auto running boards that didn’t work to begin with, replaced the third brake light that the lens had begun separating from the housing on, and then I added rods and did wheels and tires cause 22s are just not gunna make for enough tire for how I am gunna be using this thing.
View attachment 573521
So there it is, I went with the terrafirma steelies and wrapped em in the falken at3w as a 285/75r18, currently lifted with proud rhino rods and used my GAP tool to make sure everything was sitting at the proper height.
Had to do some liner mods of course, and also remove the washer bottle, so I built and installed a smaller bottle.
View attachment 573526
So I used a small universal washer bottle, added the level sensor to the bottom of it and the factory fill neck to the top, and secured it up out of the way on the “frame rail”
I also want to use the Terrafirma 18" steel wheels on my 2007 Range Rover Supercharged which has Brembo brakes I believe the same as your 2008. But the Terrafirma wheels are listed as not fitting the Supercharged versions. What issues, if any, did you have getting those Terrafirma wheels on. I note you put on 285/75/r18 tires and you mention having to do some mods. I don't plan on using that large of a tire so my curiosity is how did the wheels themselves match the Brembo brakes?

howirolla

Campfire Passport
I also want to use the Terrafirma 18" steel wheels on my 2007 Range Rover Supercharged which has Brembo brakes I believe the same as your 2008. But the Terrafirma wheels are listed as not fitting the Supercharged versions. What issues, if any, did you have getting those Terrafirma wheels on. I note you put on 285/75/r18 tires and you mention having to do some mods. I don't plan on using that large of a tire so my curiosity is how did the wheels themselves match the Brembo brakes?

I did nothing to make the wheels fit over the brakes, they just fit over the brakes. But, make sure the wheel weights are positioned in the wheel where they won’t hit the calipers, that would be the only issue that you may encounter. The mods I did were all in the fender well to fit the tires.

Jimba

I did nothing to make the wheels fit over the brakes, they just fit over the brakes. But, make sure the wheel weights are positioned in the wheel where they won’t hit the calipers, that would be the only issue that you may encounter. The mods I did were all in the fender well to fit the tires.
Thanks for that response, excellent news, now I have faith that the Terrafirmas will work so I'm ordering some today! Next step for me will be selecting a tire with more sidewall and better off-road tread than the stock 255/50/r20, but not too much sidewall or width to require other modifications. You seem to be well equipped to accomplish modifications, I'm not. I am grateful that you shared your experiences here. It has helped me tremendously!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Thanks for that response, excellent news, now I have faith that the Terrafirmas will work so I'm ordering some today! Next step for me will be selecting a tire with more sidewall and better off-road tread than the stock 255/50/r20, but not too much sidewall or width to require other modifications. You seem to be well equipped to accomplish modifications, I'm not. I am grateful that you shared your experiences here. It has helped me tremendously!

Well the bright side is, selecting a tire with more side wall than a 20 provides won’t be difficult! Even if you don’t wanna do a lift or fender liner mods.

SkiWill

View attachment 683143
went a little too hard on the way back to camp tryna keep up with me lol
A Land Cruiser in a cloud of steam unable to keep up with a Land Rover product? It's a good thing this isn't in the cult of Toyota section. You'd be hanged for heresy. Don't you know that a Land Cruiser is completely and utterly indestructible even without ever performing any maintenance while Land Rovers and Range Rovers spontaneously explode, sometimes even before leaving the factory!

howirolla

Campfire Passport
A Land Cruiser in a cloud of steam unable to keep up with a Land Rover product? It's a good thing this isn't in the cult of Toyota section. You'd be hanged for heresy. Don't you know that a Land Cruiser is completely and utterly indestructible even without ever performing any maintenance while Land Rovers and Range Rovers spontaneously explode, sometimes even before leaving the factory!

I am indeed well aware of these facts, which is why I must only post things like that in the lowly Land Rover pages so as to not raise suspicions!

I am indeed well aware of these facts, which is why I must only post things like that in the lowly Land Rover pages so as to not raise suspicions!

Yes, let's please keep this a LR community secret. My wife would like to add an L322 to our L319 one day soon, can't afford prices to continue on their way up.

Dogpilot

Yes it is almost like your insulting their ancestry if you notice the defects and huge rusted out sections. I worked for the UN for 10 years. We had "name cannot be spoken" POS's given to us new all the time. Why? Well most folks don't really understand how the system works. US says they are giving 5 million in aid. It is not money, but rather 5 million in, lets say grain. So the USDA buys grain on one program or another, stores it in some giant silo. After 5 years it gets kind of nasty, so we "donate" it to some poor country. We peg the price to the highest price and say it is worth 5 million. Of course if you tried to sell it on the real market it would fetch 1/10 of that as it has been reduced to low animal feed quality. Now Japan plays this game as well. They donate Land Cruisers, high end Land Cruisers, with all kinds of stupid accessories (all of witch fall off in short order). They do the high end ones as they have the highest markup. They naturally get them for a steep discount, but peg the donation price at full retail.

My last one (UN) was such a POS, a newish turbo diesel, whose 3rd gear (a common problem in nearly every one I had) would constantly fail in low range. Now on a series Land Rover, the tranny would occasionally get a personality, but they would still drive, even stuck in gear (you can shift from high to low, giving you a two speed tranny). LC's just squat on the ground and will not move if the gearing fails. I was south of Mogadishu, just outside of Merka in Somalia. Out of handi talki range. Pissed, so I racked a round in my AK (yes most of us kept one in a crevasse in the vehicle, even though we weren't supposed to have one. They only cost $40 anyhow) I emptied 2 of my three magazines into it. Our motor pool guy, Ahmed Yousef, cool guy, was a bit skeptical about my "Bandit" story but gave me a combat Toyota Corolla in its place. Which surprisingly was a better car. Nobody tried to carjack us in it, they wanted 4WD cars.

Now fast forward a few years. I am in Borneo, one of the most rugged places I have ever worked. Serious jungle and mountains. The only thing we could get was, you guessed it LC's. New turbo diesels, again, sigh. Out of the six, three failed their trannies in the first 4 weeks, one had a brake caliper fall off...fall off! One rolled upside down crossing one of the rivers. So no, I don't like them much. At my billing rate, they are too expensive due to the downtime and aggravation. All cars turn to POS's if you thrash them off road daily, it just comes down to how long to reach the "just decorating the side of the trail " state or keep on kind of running. Landies have let me down far less than the rest. Heck I even had an Isuzu Trooper nearly crack in half from not so great roads. The unibody cracked right behind the B pillar, both sides top and bottom. The rental agency was really thrilled when they got that one back in Nairobi.

I read the forums posts from, well let us say "wankers" whining about their software updates and such. SOFTWARE UPDATES, SOFTWARE UPDATES! Yeah, good luck with that when your in the Tankwa Desert. Just be happy it steers, brakes, and goes back and forth in all the gears. AC is cool as well. Pretty much everything else, useless BS born to fail in the field. Yes I do have another Defender (number 10 on order arriving in January).

A.J.M

Explorer
The only time my Discovery 3 was on the wagon of shame ( tow truck) was when work a garage did failed. Cv boot not being fixed correctly, messing about with the fuel system and wiring.

that bugger would get me home otherwise.
Even with a failed alternator, it was close for that one though…. Winter, dark, rush hour traffic… it slowly turned off systems to preserve power and died outside my house.

land rovers love maintenance and hate neglect at times. Remember that and you’ll be fine.

my 2p ( British so using the Queens currency ) is I personally prefer air and would keep it.
D3 had its original air struts changed at 175,*** miles. They still worked, they held air fine but they were getting tired.
My Freelander 2 has had all 4 springs and back struts changed by 110,*** miles.
My 80” is on leaf springs and well… anyone who’s did miles on leaf springs knows how that is…:ROFLMAO:

The thing I find with land rovers is everyone is loves to berate them, even folk in the community will happily throw insults at other models because of issues.
Drive what you want to drive, modify it the way you want to and tell everyone else to sod off.
works for me.

BigBwana

Love your rig, post, and storytelling! Thank you for sharing! Would you mind letting us know what specification load bars you're using? Yakima gives only one size which means I can use only two bars across the curved roof of the L322.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Love your rig, post, and storytelling! Thank you for sharing! Would you mind letting us know what specification load bars you're using? Yakima gives only one size which means I can use only two bars across the curved roof of the L322.

Thank you I appreciate that!
I am using the rhino rack vortex bar kit, they have a kit specific for the L322.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles