Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Octotat

Observer
I just wanted to pick some minds on a dilemma that I am having. My 97 Suburban C1500 had a rear disc brake conversion done by a a previous owner. It's getting ready for some new pads, but I can't figure out what the brakes are from to order new ones. It has Ford calipers, but no idea of what conversion kit it was or what vehicle it was from. Any ideas on figuring out what it could be? It's a 5 lug 15" wheel on a 10 bolt axle. I've added a couple of pics from a recent cross country trip as well just for fun!

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Octo

Attachments

• Bonneville.jpg
    Bonneville.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IIBonneville.jpg
    IIBonneville.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 23
  • flaming Gorge.jpg
    flaming Gorge.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 23

toddz69

Explorer
I just wanted to pick some minds on a dilemma that I am having. My 97 Suburban C1500 had a rear disc brake conversion done by a a previous owner. It's getting ready for some new pads, but I can't figure out what the brakes are from to order new ones. It has Ford calipers, but no idea of what conversion kit it was or what vehicle it was from. Any ideas on figuring out what it could be? It's a 5 lug 15" wheel on a 10 bolt axle. I've added a couple of pics from a recent cross country trip as well just for fun!

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Octo

Thinking about this some more, if they're Ford calipers, they're probably a kit from Stainless Steel Brakes that was available for many years (SSBC went out of business a few years ago but was bought up and is now back in business). They used Varga calipers in their kits which were used on several Ford cars in the late 80s/early 90s.

This is what the kit looks like:

Check and see if your calipers look like that (post some pics if possible).

The calipers use pads with a PN of D347 and are available nearly anywhere. A popular application to ask for at the parts store would be a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Todd Z.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
A place called TSM made bracket kits and I used many of them over the years too. Pictures of the calipers and mounts are needed to satisfy this request.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles