Another 2020 Ram 5500 Flatbed Camper Build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Banks Pedal Monster on a 5500?

If you have a late model diesel truck you have no doubt noticed a significant "disconnect" between your foot and the engine. This "dead pedal" issue is widely known and only made worse by the detuned 6.7L we have in our trucks. I wanted to try one of these "throttle sensitivity boosters" but didn't want to spend the money without knowing if it would work first.

Luckily my neighbor just bought a 2021 Ram 3500 with the HO 6.7L Cummins. He added a Banks Pedal Monster (w/o iDash gauge) and let me try it out for a while. Here's what I found:

It is compatible with our trucks. It plugs in just fine and everything works like it should. I downloaded the iPhone app and had it connected in no time. No issues whatsoever. When driving around the city, the truck "feels" more peppy. If you select the Sport or Track mode, it's almost twitchy -- like a car with a feather light gas pedal. You can easily change modes from the app, but you have to be stopped.

What it doesn't do is make any real difference when, for example, you're at a stop sign and need to floor the gas to dart out into traffic. It also makes no difference when you're on the freeway and floor it to pass someone. In each of these scenarios, the computer waits for the turbo to spool up before dumping in more fuel. A downshift will probably be needed too so this only adds to the delay. This is strictly for emissions and to prevent "rolling coal" on that Prius behind you. Only a real engine tune can change that.

So, it adds a small fun factor to your driving, but it really doesn't help with the two scenarios above that bug me most. I'm going to hold off on getting one and opt instead for a real tune once I get further into my warranty. This is just my two cents, but I wanted to post it since I could find no mention of a Pedal Monster on a 5500 anywhere else on the net.

Brad,

Thx for the review of the PedalMonster. While I've never driven with a PM on a turbo diesel, it looks to be a similar upgrade to the other "throttle pedal controllers/enhancers" on the market; DTE Pedalbox from Germany, PedalCommander, SprintBooster, etc. But I'm confused why it doesn't help in these two scenarios, when I know from firsthand experience that the DTE Pedalbox does on a turbo diesel van (ie Mercedes Sprinter);

"What it doesn't do is make any real difference when, for example, you're at a stop sign and need to floor the gas to dart out into traffic. It also makes no difference when you're on the freeway and floor it to pass someone. In each of these scenarios, the computer waits for the turbo to spool up before dumping in more fuel. A downshift will probably be needed too so this only adds to the delay. This is strictly for emissions and to prevent "rolling coal" on that Prius behind you. Only a real engine tune can change that."

Sport or Track mode don't help you get out into traffic quicker?

Brad_UT

Brad,

Thx for the review of the PedalMonster. While I've never driven with a PM on a turbo diesel, it looks to be a similar upgrade to the other "throttle pedal controllers/enhancers" on the market; DTE Pedalbox from Germany, PedalCommander, SprintBooster, etc. But I'm confused why it doesn't help in these two scenarios, when I know from firsthand experience that the DTE Pedalbox does on a turbo diesel van (ie Mercedes Sprinter);

"What it doesn't do is make any real difference when, for example, you're at a stop sign and need to floor the gas to dart out into traffic. It also makes no difference when you're on the freeway and floor it to pass someone. In each of these scenarios, the computer waits for the turbo to spool up before dumping in more fuel. A downshift will probably be needed too so this only adds to the delay. This is strictly for emissions and to prevent "rolling coal" on that Prius behind you. Only a real engine tune can change that."

Sport or Track mode don't help you get out into traffic quicker?
Unfortunately not. The PM basically pushes the pedal down faster and further than you do.

The important thing to remember is that the pedal signal is just a request to the computer for more power. The computer determines when/how to do that, and I think that's where the difference lies. Sounds like the Mercedes has some different tuning.

Brad_UT

Rubber hose makes water taste funny but PVC / vinyl doesn't.
You're right, but I'm not worried too much about it. The water should only be in contact with the hoses for the 5 minutes or so it takes to fill or empty the tank. Water is really only for the shower/toilet and sink anyways.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sneak Peak. Right now we're still working through all the drawing revisions. (fyi, it's a pop-up roof)
View attachment 682221

Hey Brad

Looks awesome man, but a weird and bizarre fun fact / FYI.

Having entry/exit door on the drivers side is technically illegal in the US.

I planned on putting mine there as well, to be able to exit truck and get right into camper (yes I’m that lazy) and posted somewhere on here why no one else did and the comments were bizarre yet informative.

Chances of ever being messed with are close to zero, but after doing some digging, I put mine on the passenger side.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Interesting...what entity would enforce this? Like a state trooper? Or the RVIA police? ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Interesting...what entity would enforce this? Like a state trooper? Or the RVIA police? ;)

Not a clue, but now I’m even more curious and will do some digging, cause we know your millennial butt won’t ?

Also, all NA market doors are hinged on the right side, meaning if door is left ajar and you drive away, you’re gonna have a bad day, versus if it was on passenger side, it’d blow shut if anything.

That was main reason I moved mine to passenger side. I didn’t care about the legal aspect personally. For reasons you stated ?

Brad_UT

Hey Brad

Looks awesome man, but a weird and bizarre fun fact / FYI.

Having entry/exit door on the drivers side is technically illegal in the US.

I planned on putting mine there as well, to be able to exit truck and get right into camper (yes I’m that lazy) and posted somewhere on here why no one else did and the comments were bizarre yet informative.

Chances of ever being messed with are close to zero, but after doing some digging, I put mine on the passenger side.
You've got to be kidding me. Really? I had no idea. I talked to quite a few people about it and they all either said, "well, the curb is on the right" or "that's just how we've always done it."

Moving it to the passenger side wouldn't be too big a deal, except for the $1000 Thetford throne which would now have the cassette coming out of the wrong side.

Did you ever find the actual law that applies?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
All of the hatches, including the door, are Tern Overland. Pretty good quality from what I read.

All my doors and windows are tern.

Outside of windows scratches easy but the quality and insulation is good enough, I’m perfectly fine with it. I’m very happy with them

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You've got to be kidding me. Really? I had no idea. I talked to quite a few people about it and they all either said, "well, the curb is on the right" or "that's just how we've always done it."

Moving it to the passenger side wouldn't be too big a deal, except for the $1000 Thetford throne which would now have the cassette coming out of the wrong side.

Did you ever find the actual law that applies?

I never found, and still haven’t found an actual law or vehicle code,

Main reason I switched it to pass side was the side the hinge is on, and the way it opens. Much less chance of catastrophe if happen to leave camp without it 100% secured.

I found tons and tons of CLAIMS it was illegal in various RV forums, but still haven’t been able to find anything that actually states a law or vehicle code, so that’s that.

The fact not single RV manufacture in the US makes a single RV with a drivers side tells me they know something I don’t.

If nothing else, youd think a few of them would at least offer one as an option or something. ??‍♂️

Brad_UT

I never found, and still haven’t found an actual law or vehicle code,

Main reason I switched it to pass side was the side the hinge is on, and the way it opens. Much less chance of catastrophe if happen to leave camp without it 100% secured.

I found tons and tons of CLAIMS it was illegal in various RV forums, but still haven’t been able to find anything that actually states a law or vehicle code, so that’s that.

The fact not single RV manufacture in the US makes a single RV with a drivers side tells me they know something I don’t.

If nothing else, youd think a few of them would at least offer one as an option or something. ??‍♂️
This has been bugging me all day. You absolutely have a good point about the hinge. But, my stubbornness is not to be underestimated. :giggle: I may call the UT Highway Patrol and see what they say.

38snubby

I know that it is 100% illegal for a manufacturer to sell an RV/camper of any type with an entry door on the driver's side.

I found this out when I spoke with the folks at All terrain warrior, an Aussie company that imports a Fuso chassis camper like the earthcruiser. They had to reconfigure the camper to right side entry to be able to sell in the US, the same was true for Kimberly Kamper with their trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles