The new 7.3 - how is it

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
That's not accurate at all. I see 17-18 in town and 19-21 on the highway hand calculated and corrected speedo in my 3500 CTD on 37's. Most of the Fuelly numbers for diesel trucks are from those posting while towing/loaded.

Are you putting cocaine in your tank? My 2012 5500 flatbed got 12-13 mixed, 14 max and 12 at the worst. Always, every day for 330k miles. Loaded to the hilt or empty. I'm sure the super deep gears and hard work weren't great for MPG. I guess I just work my trucks hard.

1000arms

... That new 7.3 looks awful nice. Should be pretty easy to get more power and torque out of as well.
"Godzilla, as it’s being called, was developed as an option for F-250-and-up Super Duty models as a severe-duty engine that’s powerful, durable, and affordable to build and maintain. Interestingly enough, the very features that make it a strong truck engine get us hot rodders fired up, too. We’ve already seen one make over 700 horsepower naturally aspirated and 1,450 horsepower with a supercharger!"

"The 445 cubic inch "Godzilla" is fairly compact for a big-cube block, with dimensions that are just a little bit bigger than a 351W small-block."

The above quotes are from:

BretEdge

Adventurer
I've got a 21 F250 w/ a flatbed and FWC Hawk UTE on it, 37's and a Carli 2.5" lift and we just passed 15,000 miles. On an awesome day, we get 11 MPG. Average is 10, crawling around offroad around 9. The engine has more than enough power and torque, never find myself wanting for more, even with the large tires and constant heavy weight. Thus far we've done two oil changes and getting ready to do the third next week. No complaints at all on the motor, just wish the fuel tank could hold another 10 gallons.

jadmt

ignore button user
one thing on mpg where you live makes a big difference. I know when I was on a 3000+ mile trip recently I got the worse mpg in Minnesota and that included Montana (best mpg) ND, SD and Wy. Also when ever I go thru Utah thro Salt Lake I always get better mpg then normal.

Porkchopexpress

one thing on mpg where you live makes a big difference. I know when I was on a 3000+ mile trip recently I got the worse mpg in Minnesota and that included Montana (best mpg) ND, SD and Wy. Also when ever I go thru Utah thro Salt Lake I always get better mpg then normal.
I think the time of year in some locations matters too. More emission additives in the summer in California I think?

Edit: apparently the summer fuel is slightly better but more expensive.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Are you putting cocaine in your tank? My 2012 5500 flatbed got 12-13 mixed, 14 max and 12 at the worst. Always, every day for 330k miles. Loaded to the hilt or empty. I'm sure the super deep gears and hard work weren't great for MPG. I guess I just work my trucks hard.

I live at 32ft ASL and it's flat as hell here so that's something.

Chorky

Observer
I've got a 21 F250 w/ a flatbed and FWC Hawk UTE on it, 37's and a Carli 2.5" lift and we just passed 15,000 miles. On an awesome day, we get 11 MPG. Average is 10, crawling around offroad around 9. The engine has more than enough power and torque, never find myself wanting for more, even with the large tires and constant heavy weight. Thus far we've done two oil changes and getting ready to do the third next week. No complaints at all on the motor, just wish the fuel tank could hold another 10 gallons.
Ouch. I honestly would have expected much better mileage. Good to know you have no concerns about the engine holding up thus far though. Have you re-calibrated the PCM with the new tire size? What is your fully fitted weight? I can't imagine a FWC being that heavy....

in Montana winter fuel makes a difference too.
this and your other quote about location also makes a HUGE difference...I should have put that in the original post. Big difference between flat lands, and mountains, and fuel types. It is awful strange how different areas using different fuel mixes apparently construe mpg so heavily. Also...montana winter fuel, for me anyway, provides much better MPG, but SINGIFICANTLY less power. I would have thought it the other way around... but guess not.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Ouch. I honestly would have expected much better mileage. Good to know you have no concerns about the engine holding up thus far though. Have you re-calibrated the PCM with the new tire size? What is your fully fitted weight? I can't imagine a FWC being that heavy....

this and your other quote about location also makes a HUGE difference...I should have put that in the original post. Big difference between flat lands, and mountains, and fuel types. It is awful strange how different areas using different fuel mixes apparently construe mpg so heavily. Also...montana winter fuel, for me anyway, provides much better MPG, but SINGIFICANTLY less power. I would have thought it the other way around... but guess not.

I have not re-calibrated the PCM and we're around 11,200 pounds fully loaded, with all tanks full.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Try Forscan if you havent already. It should be able to change tire size. Tire size information is held in the BCM and the PCM gets its info from the BCM.

Thanks. Any idea if this is something the dealer can do or do I need to find someone with the right hardware to do it?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Dealer might not be willing to.

Either set yourself up to do it or find a Ford buddy that knows their way around Forscan.

Its not difficult, but you do need to know what you are doing.

Porkchopexpress

In my experience, wind resistance at speed can have a more significant effect on mileage than weight and the FWC obviously extends above the cab about the same as most pop ups. Plus the additional rotational mass of larger tires, I think 10-11 mpg isn’t too bad. My camper will stick up a little more but I am keeping the ride height and tires stock, (I think they are 34”) so I expect similar mpg.

Trixxx

All righty, I'll step in it right now. I know how these conversations go. If you can get 23 in that beast, I'll eat my shoe. And my shoe is GROSS. Does it give you free cable TV too? ;)

This is over a 20-30 mile flat stretch at 55 mph when the truck still had stock suspension/tires. I’m confident that including regens, a 2020 6.7 can get 23-24 if the cruise is set at 50-55 mph on flat ground..

Attachments

• BEB4040D-5881-4194-8D3E-C97C6A574ADB.jpeg
    BEB4040D-5881-4194-8D3E-C97C6A574ADB.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online