FMTV for World Travel?

RoamIt

There's always the big debate over base trucks. Has anyone here actually travelled with a FMTV rig outside of the U.S.? Any actual experiences to share with parts/repairs? I've been searching for an older Mercedes but those are hard to come by and before I start any importing madness, I thought i would reach out for any input on the FMTV's that I could have in my driveway next week.

RoamIt

Thanks for the reply. The Cat engine/Allison trans are not DOD regulated and parts can be bought over the counter/sourced overseas to a point. Same to be said for various other parts that are based on civilian designs. Not worried about restoring with original parts.

There are several companies that specializes in parts for them. If I call up Grigsby's Truck to box up and ship a axle universal joint to Mexico is that DOD regulated?

That being said, I thought if anyone had traveled with one out of country, they would be here!

RoamIt

Actually, it looks like whiteacorn did the US in a Ford and a Unimog for the rest of the world.

RoamIt

I'm not dead set on a FMTV, actually if they were side by side, I'm take the Mercedes. But am chasing down all the possibilities before I make a very expensive decision.

Check out Excap. They do to the Steyr 12M18 what Acela does to the FMTV. And again, you get a 2 speed transfer case. Which you can get for a FMTV, but it’s $25k more, and adds 1.09 high range to the already slow 6.14 optional fast gears (stock are 7.8, too slow even for 85kph Europe).

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Buy my Saurer 6dm with the 10dm Bosch fuel injection pump upgrade to 320hp. All done. Parts store in Zurich has everything you'd need for parts. Registered as a motorhome, located currently in Minnesota. Fly and drive. $75,000. Just changed all of the filters, and oil in engine and transmission. New Continental HSC 14 R20 tires last summer. Very reliable truck. Search for sale info on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_3641.JPG
    IMG_3641.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 63

RoamIt

Buy my Saurer 6dm with the 10dm Bosch fuel injection pump upgrade to 320hp. All done. Parts store in Zurich has everything you'd need for parts. Registered as a motorhome, located currently in Minnesota. Fly and drive. $75,000. Just changed all of the filters, and oil in engine and transmission. New Continental HSC 14 R20 tires last summer. Very reliable truck. Search for sale info on this forum.

Went through your build thread, very impressive! It's very tempting, but there are a few things I want, like a pass through, garage, etc., the 55-60mph top speed is a little bit of an issue, touring the U.S. first.

RoamIt

Check out Excap. They do to the Steyr 12M18 what Acela does to the FMTV. And again, you get a 2 speed transfer case. Which you can get for a FMTV, but it’s $25k more, and adds 1.09 high range to the already slow 6.14 optional fast gears (stock are 7.8, too slow even for 85kph Europe).
Checking them out now, thanks for the tip!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Driving a military or similar vehicle at high speeds, creates heat. Very hard on drivetrain. And you have to consider braking a 12-14 ton vehicle even with exhaust brake and air brakes. Need a big dime to get it done!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
You guys are correct that the engine of the LMTV are well known in the heavy machinery industry. But what about the electrical system? Transmission? Brakes? Axles? When I imported a European Sprinter into Canada. I was prepared to source parts from Europe. That itself was fairly easy and surprisingly cheap if you know where to look. But the biggest problem was finding someone willing to work on it. Pretty much every shop in town said no thank you with no interest in studying European repair manuals. Keep in mind, that's for a vehicle that is known in North America! Now think about what will happen with the LMTV in Asia, Africa, Europe..... A Mercedes on the other hand still requires some improvising, but at least it's a global platform with manuals available in any language.

RoamIt

Your right, no desire for high speed runs. Just with 70mph speed limits here, maxing out at 55mph is going to be painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles