(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
Powerboost. Look it up.
(y) Doh! Ya, that's a good system. The Tundra will probably have a hybrid in a few years but doubt it will happen for 2022. Not expecting anything too exciting actually... just catching up with modern tech.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Does that matter if a tundra in the same conditions is getting 15?

At the end of the day, most half tons are driven unladen most of the time.
Yep
Its an even bigger gap in the big wagons. My old Sequoia still in the family was real world 12-13mpg in town 14-16mpg road trips stock everything.
Same driver, same use my 2019 Expedition Heavy tow pack 4x4 with locker does 14-16mpg in town and 20-22mpg road trips. Thats a big jump considering 4000lb boost in tow capacity and 100+hp in power at 1/2 the rpms.
Heck the old family 2006 extra long Suburban could do 19’s on road trips. Toyota hasn’t been in the power or mileage game ever in the US truck market.

D

Deleted member 9101

Stock tires and unladen most of the time?

2.5" level in the front, 1" in the rear, 33" street tires, and putting down about 400 RWHP. It gets about 1-1.5 mpg worse than when it was stock.

While the majority of the miles are with the truck empty, some of those miles are towing a travel trailer, some are down a drag strip, and some are towing 2 yards of gravel.

I have zero problem getting 20-21 mpg in town and 23-24 mpg on the HW.

If someone is getting the 18.5 MPG that fulley claims, they are either driving in it like a mad man or they are on 35s...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Yep
Its an even bigger gap in the big wagons. My old Sequoia still in the family was real world 12-13mpg in town 14-16mpg road trips stock everything.
Same driver, same use my 2019 Expedition Heavy tow pack 4x4 with locker does 14-16mpg in town and 20-22mpg road trips. Thats a big jump considering 4000lb boost in tow capacity and 100+hp in power at 1/2 the rpms.
Heck the old family 2006 extra long Suburban could do 19’s on road trips. Toyota hasn’t been in the power or mileage game ever in the US truck market.

I have the same experience. Both of my Tundra's got 12-13 mpg in traffic....my F150 gets 20-21. If I set my cruise at 70 mph I can get 23-24 mpg, the Tundras were at 16-18mpg. I have to go 80-85mph to get my F150 to get the same fuel economy as my Tundra's got at 70mph...lol.

bkg

Explorer
(y) Doh! Ya, that's a good system. The Tundra will probably have a hybrid in a few years but doubt it will happen for 2022. Not expecting anything too exciting actually... just catching up with modern tech.

not so sure they are catching up to modern tech... comparatively speaking to the "old" tundra, probably big improvement. Comparatively speaking to the competition? We'll have to wait and see.

Jupiter58

If someone is getting the 18.5 MPG that fulley claims, they are either driving in it like a mad man or they are on 35s...lol.

I agree. I am averaging almost 23 so far through 22k miles on my 3.5 totally stock. Most of that unladen, one 400 mile trip with an empty boat trailer and about 4K of highway at 80-85.
I cant imagine what you would have to tow or haul or how hard you would have to beat the truck to average 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skrypj

Yep

My parents have a 2017 Expedition EL, so the older one with the 6 speed, and it also has the tow package with 3.73’s. That thing was averaging 19.5 mpg after me taking it up to a wedding in NH last weekend, 3 hours each way, doing 80 mph and then some back road driving around town. No joke, that that thing has a curb weight of like 6400 lbs. its heavier than my supercrew 6.5’ bed Lariat F150.

My F150 used to average ~18 in the summer but i now have 315/70’s and its been pretty much pegged at 17 over the last few tanks.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Does that matter if a tundra in the same conditions is getting 15?

At the end of the day, most half tons are driven unladen most of the time.
The major point I was asking about was the tires. If it's got LT's one size up and still averaging that fuel economy that's darn good. In addition if it's got a 300#+ shell with a rack that's that's a tribute to Ford and a light foot.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A hybrid that averages 25 mpg even would be welcome.

gmtech

Observer
that's a limited, remember even the taco limited and 4 runner litmited look very different with all the goofy chrome..

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
are the rear bumper sides part of the bed? That's ridiculous, if so.

Honestly, thus far, it's fugly AF.
I know! I was wondering the same thing. And after I noticed that I started to wonder if the front bumper caps were part of the front fenders too?

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier