Rear Bumper w/ Swingout Tire Carrier for F150... Why doesn't this exist!?!?

dbhost

I think that's the reason you don't see them much.

They interfere with the "normal" "truck things".

It's easy to forget that what seems normal or useful, can be odd or even a hindrance to the average consumer.

I KNOW nobody makes one like this. But why not a Lambo style swing away spare carrier that just sort of scissors at a pivot point to allow access to the tailgate / bed without having to swing past a trailer?

billiebob

Yep, agreed. The rear swing out is neat.

I don't think it would work for me as I tow. It's already a pain just trying to open the tailgate once the trailer is hooked up.
Not that this would work but but think outside the box, I changed the trailer jack location on my trailer to clear the tailgate.
DSC_0011 2.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

skrypj

That is kind of why I am doing my build a piece at a time and using what I have, or have been collecting literally for at least 35 years. Lots of estate sale camping gear, lower to mid range stuff modded to fit my specific needs etc...

Before I am ready to hit the trails, I likely will have another $10K sunk into it, but I am going through a total engine overhaul, gears, some body work due to failed door hardware for my backdoors which is common on SuperCabs...

Honestly, I would be money way ahead just buying a similar vintage Silverado, but I would be back at square one. Probably make it just about even by the time the winch is mounted etc...

It's honestly a pity Isuzu stopped selling in the US. I actually liked the Rodeo. A female friend (NOT girlfriend) I knew before I met my wife had one. It was actually a shockingly competent off roader considering it was so cheap and cushy for its era.... She could almsot keep up with my CJ-7...

Honestly that is one way to drive costs down, start with less popular 4x4 models. Isuzus, 90s / early 2000s Nissan, Mitsubishi etc...

Ive got an SAS’d 95 4Runner with winch, winch bumper, sliders and air lockerfor way less than 10k.

It just sucks to drive on the road more than 20 miles lol.

displacedtexan

I KNOW nobody makes one like this. But why not a Lambo style swing away spare carrier that just sort of scissors at a pivot point to allow access to the tailgate / bed without having to swing past a trailer?
If I am picturing what you're trying to describe...

It would be a great option, but expensive, and very limited market.

DANNERx0

...I've talked with Expedition One a couple times and they will likely put one out in ~18 months...
I guess it's out for 2015-2020 models although it says "**Pictured on a F250 99-16 Model...F150 pictures coming soon!*"

$3k for a bumper is a bit rich for me...but it is a sweet looking bumper (at least on a F250).

I've got a '21 F150 so even if I I was willing to spend the cash, this wouldn't work for me.

nater

Adventurer
I guess it's out for 2015-2020 models although it says "**Pictured on a F250 99-16 Model...F150 pictures coming soon!*"

$3k for a bumper is a bit rich for me...but it is a sweet looking bumper (at least on a F250).

I've got a '21 F150 so even if I I was willing to spend the cash, this wouldn't work for me.

And they are a company that will sell you a half baked bumper with quality and design issues... and crap customer service. There is a reason their biggest market is insta fanbois who are sponsored by them and never say anything bad about anything they own.

Chassis Unlimited makes a rear swing out bumper for F250. They may make one for F150 as well. I'm a dealer for them I can ask... What year model? Sometimes they have made them, but they don't have photos or haven't updated the site. Feel free to message me.

Speedphreak

I have one of these Buckstop bumpers on the way. The swingouts are really beefy and come with 2" receivers in them, which make them pretty modular. You can just plug-n-play with a tire carrier, and then swap it out for a bike rack or box or whatever.

The swingouts also just pop off, so if you want to do "truck stuff" around town, just pull the arm off.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have one of these Buckstop bumpers on the way. The swingouts are really beefy and come with 2" receivers in them, which make them pretty modular. You can just plug-n-play with a tire carrier, and then swap it out for a bike rack or box or whatever.

The swingouts also just pop off, so if you want to do "truck stuff" around town, just pull the arm off.

Good looking bumper, but when I go to your link I only see rear bumpers for Super Duties, not F150's.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Just got this. I'll be using part of it to hang stuff off the F-150.
Amazon.com: ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck SUV Bed Hitch Mount Extender Extension Rack Lumber Ladder Canoe Boat Kayak Long Pipes w/Flag 750lbs : Automotive

It's actually pretty heavy stock, I couldn't buy the materials and weld it for that price.

As to bumpers, thought about changing mine out until I saw the prices. That's nuts! If the U.S. Army can run stock bumpers on light trucks, so can I.
I won't be able to show off my Badazz Bad Lands winch on the front, but maybe that's a good thing.:LOL:

I might do a vinal wrap on my bumpers, get some camo duct tape and cover them.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hitchgate was bought by wilco. Its a hitch tire carrier with compression fit and has a socket for a hitch. I have one used it on my Landcruiser and kept it for my other trucks.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
As you have found, no one makes a rear swingout bumper for the F-150/Raptor. There are many threads on various forums covering this. I've talked with Expedition One a couple times and they will likely put one out in ~18 months. C4 is ~24 months.

If you haven't already spent the $ look into the HD3 or HD4 Deavers. Additionally 17-18 rear Raptor take offs (or 19+ w/ live wire delete) will give you everything the Fox 2.5 DSC's do but cost less. Alternatively 1g/2g Raptor Icon or King bypasses fit with some work. 1g/2g Raptor Fox bypasses do not fit due to the inner bypass tube placement (they are installed in the photo, pulled them after a 5 mile drive due to rubbing). Icon billet UCAs + SPC Performance 86252 HD Cam Kit will save you a lot of frustration in losing your alignment if you spend real time off road. If you think you'll ever jump the truck then bite the bullet and buy SVC's bump stop kit with Fox 2.0 IFPs.

View attachment 672517
Dude, that is a SEXY truck....

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
I have an Expedition One front bumper on my F150 and the quality is excellent. I went to their factory to pick it up and was impressed with what I saw. I have had no issues with it on my rig. If I pursue the F250 Tremor in a couple of years, I will potentially be going with their front and rear bumpers. Having said that, Chassis Unlimited is a great company as well. I used to live very close to their shop and watched them go from a very small operation making a handful of products to a much larger company putting out some really creative and good looking items. They are also willing to custom make things if you work with them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier