Coolant Leak Gen 2.5

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
On a road trip, forgot FSM, could anyone post an image or link of coolant system / water pump possibly?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
What has to come off to get to water pump? Definitely lost either the pump seal or the gasket…..not sure which. 10psi air pressure applied through radiator creates the leak on demand, and it leaks down from above the crank pulley.

If I am less than 10k before timing belt needs to be done, should I just do both at the same time?

I'm trying to remember, but pretty sure the fan, shroud, belts, front cover have to come off to get to the wp. If you're that close to t-belt interval I would definitely do everything at the same time, might as well even do valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, plenum gasket while you're that deep into it.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Can someone confirm please if the water pump is normally replaced at the same time as timing belt service, per the fsm?

Reactions: plh

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is a photo of how I did mine, I found it easier to pull the engine out first. LOL, just teasing, this is the photo of a refurbished engine I was working on before I put it in. The water pump is right in the middle, with the large black pulley:
i-kTF9h5j-X2.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is a video of a teardown of a Montero sport to redo the timing belt and waterpump. It's not a great video, but it has been helpful for me. I reccommend watching without audio on, but that's a personal choice.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Is your photo the 6G74?
Yes, however, you will find some differences between the Gen 2.5, the first couple of years of the Gen 3, and then anything after 2003 Gen 3's. The differences are primarily in accessory brackets and locations of things like the oil pump, AC pump, etc.... I call it the the front plate, and its very different on my 2002 3rd Gen 3.5L compared to the 1998 3.5L from my Gen 2.5 - But that's the only major difference (well, and the throttle body)

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Water pump locked up. Couldn’t turn pulley with my hand. Put 10psi on the inlet and plugged outlet and reproduced the leak with timing belt off. So, water pump failed before timing belt interval. That shouldn’t happen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles