Weight

D

Deleted member 9101

Only the base v6 and 2.7 trucks come with the 8.8.

*From 2015+ it's the "Super 8.8." it doesn't share parts with the older 8.8".

What's funny is it's the same 8.8 center section in the Mustangs...and they'll launch a 600 hp car, on slicks, and not break a thing.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your are mistaken if you think I suggested running a toyota :ROFLMAO:

OP mentioned Taco's and how people routinely overload them.
Never did I suggest running one. And never would I suggest running one with a camper.

However, for those of you that think a "1/2 ton" Tundra doesn't understate its capacities when compared to a same year 1/2 ton domestic,
the rear axle under each is a great example. And when loaded heavy for long distances IMO, axles, tires, and wheel bearings are the only things that matter, as they are doing the work.

2008 Tundra
Rear axle ring and pinion.... 10.5" <------- This is 3/4 and 1-ton sze

2008 1500 GM
Rear axle ring and pinion.... 8.6"

2008 F150
Rear axle ring and pinon... 8.8"

And for giggles....

2008 Tacoma
Rear axle ring and pinon... 8"
When your still building 1992 iron piggys but selling them for 2028 prices you need to run heavier stuff just to keep them sprung. LOL I ran Toyotas for 27yrs had a beautiful J80, nice 4runner and a 2007 Sequoia. They were all pretty good but the Domestics in the family were more or less just as good at lower cost. Went just as far or farther before we sold them.
Todays Toyota trucks are ancient news so behind I didn’t even bother looking at them this last purchase. Heck my Wifes 2016 plug-in hybrid with cooled seats, C level interior has a 63mpg life time average at 77,000 miles zero issues. My neighbor was just bragging about his 6 month old Prius having a 56mpg average. I bet he doesn’t have cooled seats, and I know he can’t hold a phone call on the highway like I can. His car is loud as heck on our highways lol. He paid 12k more than I did too ???‍♂️.

Jupiter58

When your still building 1992 iron piggys but selling them for 2028 prices you need to run heavier stuff just to keep them sprung. LOL I ran Toyotas for 27yrs had a beautiful J80, nice 4runner and a 2007 Sequoia. They were all pretty good but the Domestics in the family were more or less just as good at lower cost. Went just as far or farther before we sold them.
Todays Toyota trucks are ancient news so behind I didn’t even bother looking at them this last purchase. Heck my Wifes 2016 plug-in hybrid with cooled seats, C level interior has a 63mpg life time average at 77,000 miles zero issues. My neighbor was just bragging about his 6 month old Prius having a 56mpg average. I bet he doesn’t have cooled seats, and I know he can’t hold a phone call on the highway like I can. His car is loud as heck on our highways lol. He paid 12k more than I did too .

I agree. People cling to the ancient belief the Toyota’s are a superior vehicle. They are 1-2 generations behind the domestics in every category and their just isn’t a difference in reliability any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jupiter58

Never did I suggest running one. And never would I suggest running one with a camper.

However, for those of you that think a "1/2 ton" Tundra doesn't understate its capacities when compared to a same year 1/2 ton domestic,
the rear axle under each is a great example. And when loaded heavy for long distances IMO, axles, tires, and wheel bearings are the only things that matter, as they are doing the work.

2008 Tundra
Rear axle ring and pinion.... 10.5" 4 and 1-ton sze

2008 1500 GM

2008 F150

And for giggles....

2008 Tacoma

Your axle size is incorrect for the Ford.

You actually believe the size of the ring and pinion in the rear decides the GVWR of the vehicle??????????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
A buddy of mine at my dog training clinic had a well prepared Tundra. The other day I saw him and he this time had a pretty basic F-250, maybe even a fleet truck.
I asked why he switched the trucks and he said when he put all the gears, guns, duck stuff, 2 dogs, water and food plus towing a small boat it became obvious that he was way way passed the limit... and he didn't know that up until his cousin, who happened to work at a big insurance company, at the family reunion told him he would have had problems is an accident had happened since the truck was so overloaded.
The long story short he sold it, even though the Tundra had seemingly no issues yet, and moved on to an HD truck which handles everything well, has got a factory locker and is better on gas.
The GVWR is not very well understood among commoners.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to get a mid size truck is that I am deep in the upland hunting and need carry a good amount of gear. + plus 1-2 person and a dog or two.
If I seriously get into the waterfowl, which is very likely given my dogs water capabilities, there is no way a mid size truck will be a safe choice for me considering the importance of staying at list 7% < of the GVWR.

The new AWD Ford transit or a 4X4 Sprinter may be good alternative too, but that's another topic.

ps. I do want to see what the new Tundra will offer.

jbaucom

Overbuilding a vehicle just for the sake of overbuilding a vehicle may improve long term reliability, possibly (depending how it's used/abused), but it definitely reduces available payload.

skrypj

2008 Tundra
Rear axle ring and pinion.... 10.5" 4 and 1-ton sze

2008 1500 GM

2008 F150

And for giggles....

2008 Tacoma

Except ford has a 9.75” axle in their F150 since 1997

And tundra has a 9.5” axle in the smaller engine Tundra.

So you took the largest toyota axle and the smallest competitors axles and compared?

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Except ford has a 9.75” axle in their F150 since 1997

And tundra has a 9.5” axle in the smaller engine Tundra.

So you took the largest toyota axle and the smallest competitors axles and compared?

Actually the 4.6 tundra has a 9.5” and the 5.7 has a 10.5”

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I guess I don't get your point. In all my years of abusing vehicles - racing, mudding, rock crawling, et.al. I have never broken a ring gear. Broken a number of axles, pinion shafts, frame mounts, but never a ring gear. I very much doubt it is the weak link in the GVWR calculations.

P.S. - The Ford 9" ring and pinion assembly handles 700+ hp in stock cars so its not like it can't handle the torque.

skrypj

Overbuilding a vehicle just for the sake of overbuilding a vehicle may improve long term reliability, possibly (depending how it's used/abused), but it definitely reduces available payload.

What irritates me is that in Australia, a Ford ranger double cab 4x4 diesel has a curb weight of 4600 lbs and yet has a payload capacity of 2400 lbs. That is diesel 3/4 ton territory in a truck that is almost half the weight.

The weight of that truck is clearly not higher than a US ranger, which is 4450 lbs but with a gas motor, so I doubt its constructed considerably stronger. It might have stiffer springs but it sounds like its a very similar truck and yet can handle 1000 lbs more payload.

So the whole GVWR thing is just kinda non-sense with the sub-HD trucks here in the US. I am sure they can all handle more payload than the MFG's rate them for but for various reasons are considerably under rated.

Rando

Explorer
A buddy of mine at my dog training clinic had a well prepared Tundra. The other day I saw him and he this time had a pretty basic F-250, maybe even a fleet truck.
I asked why he switched the trucks and he said when he put all the gears, guns, duck stuff, 2 dogs, water and food plus towing a small boat it became obvious that he was way way passed the limit... and he didn't know that up until his cousin, who happened to work at a big insurance company, at the family reunion told him he would have had problems is an accident had happened since the truck was so overloaded.
The long story short he sold it, even though the Tundra had seemingly no issues yet, and moved on to an HD truck which handles everything well, has got a factory locker and is better on gas.
The GVWR is not very well understood among commoners.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to get a mid size truck is that I am b#lls deep in the upland hunting and need carry a good amount of gear. + plus 1-2 person and a dog or two.
If I seriously get into the waterfowl, which is very likely given my dogs water capabilities, there is no way a mid size truck will be a safe choice for me considering the importance of staying at list 7% < of the GVWR.

The new AWD Ford transit or a 4X4 Sprinter may be good alternative too, but that's another topic.

ps. I do want to see what the new Tundra will offer.

The insurance thing is something that comes up quite often, however I have never seen any actually state they have first hand knowledge of insurance being denied for being over GVWR.

To me the whole premise doesn't make sense - the primary reasons to carry insurance is to protect you from claims against you due to your own negligence. Your insurance will cover you if you are speeding, and drunk, while texting, and cause an accident. I find it implausible that they would try to deny coverage because you were over GVWR. Furthermore, there are plenty of other things folks due to their vehicles that lead to increased danger of an at fault accident (lifts, over sized mud tires, huge racks and roof top tents, hitting pedestrians with steel bumpers etc) and yet it seems like being over GVWR is the one everyone thinks will void their insurance coverage.

My understanding is that for insurance not to cover you, the reason why they are denying coverage has to be listed in the insurance contract - has any one seen anything about GVWR in their insurance contract?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94