New Defender News

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I think the fact that they are limited to larger wheels with the P400 model they have now definitely hurt them. The weak oem tire did not help.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
I blew 2 OEM 'offroad' tires in less than 2k miles. They are crap. Have General X3s mud terrains on now, 265/70 18s. Much better.
I just picked up my defender 110 P300 on Monday. Your posts helped me decide to pull the trigger :) I want to swap out to cooper stmaxx's at 265/70 r18. Have you experienced any rubbing with your grabbers? Any noticeable difference in standard driving conditions (acceleration OK etc.)?

Attachments

• 20210726_182451.jpg
    20210726_182451.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 36

umbertob

Adventurer
Looks like a black 110 with a few regular packs and accessories bolted on, a yellow wrap / advertising billboard and a winch - which costs extra and may or may not be available from your local dealer... It does look cool, but for 90K's, you sure pay dearly for those two invites, a wrap of questionable taste and giant Land Rover stickers on the doors. :) Still the same crappy "aspirational off-road" tire setup, so that Biltmore Estate better have super smooth, hand polished rocks on its grounds. This is not likely to sway too many Sasquatch Bronco buyers Land Rover's way.

DieselRanger

I think the fact that they are limited to larger wheels with the P400 model they have now definitely hurt them. The weak oem tire did not help.
I run those exact same tires - same size, same wheel - on my D5 and they are solid. What those idiots did was drive like idiots. You don't line up 6 feet from a square-edged obstacle and hit the gas - watch the video. It's one thing if you don't know it's there, it's another thing if you KNOW it's there, and you're trying to clear it.

You roll up slowly, make contact, and then apply throttle until you clear it. You can do this on any tire - Land Rover themselves run 22" rims and street tires on Poison Spider and Hell's Revenge on their Adventure Travel Moab experience.

That is why they say, "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary".

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Looks like a black 110 with a few regular packs and accessories bolted on, a yellow wrap / advertising billboard and a winch - which costs extra and may or may not be available from your local dealer... It does look cool, but for 90K's, you sure pay dearly for those two invites, a wrap of questionable taste and giant Land Rover stickers on the doors. :) Still the same crappy "aspirational off-road" tire setup, so that Biltmore Estate better have super smooth, hand polished rocks on its grounds. This is not likely to sway too many Sasquatch Bronco buyers Land Rover's way.

1627678880928.png

DieselRanger

The video states that they tested all of the trucks with their factory-supplied tires. They state Defender was shod with the most aggressive off-road tire option that was available from JLR when they bought it.

Regardless, that wheel is too large and tire profile too small for this sort of use. It begs exactly these problems.

1. TFL Truck are wrong. DuraTracs are stocked at every LR dealer as a dealer-installed option for the Defender. If TFL Truck didn't know this it just confirms they don't know what they're doing as a self-promoted truck review vlog.

2. I run those exact same tires, exact same size, on my D5, here in Colorado, and have run those tires offroad on other vehicles all over the Mountain West for 10+ years, and have taken obstacles way more challenging than the one they blew their tires on. That was poor driving, nothing else. Can you drive like they drove the Defender with 37's on 17" wheels aired down to 20 psi, and not suffer a blowout? Sure you can, but you can also drive that obstacle and clear it on those tires, on those wheels, even inflated to street pressure, you just have to do it right.

T-Willy

1. TFL Truck are wrong. DuraTracs are stocked at every LR dealer as a dealer-installed option for the Defender. If TFL Truck didn't know this it just confirms they don't know what they're doing as a self-promoted truck review vlog.

2. I run those exact same tires, exact same size, on my D5, here in Colorado, and have run those tires offroad on other vehicles all over the Mountain West for 10+ years, and have taken obstacles way more challenging than the one they blew their tires on. That was poor driving, nothing else. Can you drive like they drove the Defender with 37's on 17" wheels aired down to 20 psi, and not suffer a blowout? Sure you can, but you can also drive that obstacle and clear it on those tires, on those wheels, even inflated to street pressure, you just have to do it right.

This was the predictable result of JLR's decision to sell its premier off road vehicle with 20 inch wheels and scant tire profile. It's a dumb combination that's prone to failure. If TFL's drivers so easily met failure, so too I expect will other Defender owners who don't know better.

XJLI

Adventurer
This was the predictable result of JLR's decision to sell its premier off road vehicle with 20 inch wheels and scant tire profile. It's a dumb combination that's prone to failure. If TFL's drivers so easily met failure, so too I expect will other Defender owners who don't know better.

it’s not a problem bc only 1 out of every 100 new defenders sold will go off-road. Probably.

DieselRanger

None of this would be an issue if they weren't on their "3rd times a charm" new defender.
But they got clicks, yo.

If you drive the way they did in the video, like complete Jerrys, then yes, you better have 37's on 18's aired down to 20 psi and about six spares.

The bone stock Land Rovers that run in Moab, guided by professional Land Rover guides, do just fine.

Mine does just fine on 20's and those exact tires.

You adjust your driving to the vehicle and the trail. The Defender isn't handicapped on that trail at all. But if they drove it correctly, and it handled the trail as easily as it can, then they wouldn't be getting 200,000 views and the ad revenue that comes with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles