(Another) 2021 Ram 5500 Build Thread

frodotbaggins88

@StenchRV @shortbus4x4

Been slow progress on the truck since I was moving and getting a lot of new tooling set up. I haven't put any miles on the truck since I bought it, still sitting at 86 miles. So it will be a minute before I have any real-world data on how well it works. I don't anticipate any issues though. When I installed it the truck pumped from the aft tank to the new midship tank just fine. It does hang a bit lower, maybe 1-2" nothing crazy. I'm on 41s with some lift so it's not a big concern to me. There are lower hanging parts under there and the tank is built like...a tank lol.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You need to drive it more. I bought mine Monday evening at 530 with 25 miles on it, got home last night at 1030 and it's got 530 miles on it now.

frodotbaggins88

You need to drive it more. I bought mine Monday evening at 530 with 25 miles on it, got home last night at 1030 and it's got 530 miles on it now.

haha, that's the plan man! This is a slow-going project because we're actually engineering and fabricating an entirely new front suspension in-house. I outgrew my shop (garage) and had to move to a larger shop which took some time. The plan is to build more trucks in the future to sell. So we are taking our time with this initial truck and ironing out repeatable designs so that we can sell full truck builds or conversion kits for other DIYers later on.

Brad_UT

I am kinda late to the game although I am very interested in learning why you and many others are going with the RAM 5500 versus a 4500 or even 3500?

For me, a 4500 would have been more than sufficient in terms of carrying capacity. But, the 4.89 rear gears were only available in the 5500. That's close to an ideal ratio when you're running the 40.6"dia 335/80R20 MPT81's. It puts the motor rpm's in their sweet spot at about 70mph.

4500/5500 also has wide track front end which is great for tight turns, but also makes it easy to do the super single conversion.

180out

I am kinda late to the game although I am very interested in learning why you and many others are going with the RAM 5500 versus a 4500 or even 3500? My guess is that it is not all about payload since I can't imagine anyone would want to lug a 12k house on the back of their rig. I know the gearing is much better but what are some of the other key features that convinced you to do with the 5500? I am very interested in learning more - thank you!
i love my 8 ton house on wheels and i take it all over the back country.

StenchRV

@StenchRV @shortbus4x4

Been slow progress on the truck since I was moving and getting a lot of new tooling set up. I haven't put any miles on the truck since I bought it, still sitting at 86 miles. So it will be a minute before I have any real-world data on how well it works. I don't anticipate any issues though. When I installed it the truck pumped from the aft tank to the new midship tank just fine. It does hang a bit lower, maybe 1-2" nothing crazy. I'm on 41s with some lift so it's not a big concern to me. There are lower hanging parts under there and the tank is built like...a tank lol.

Thank you for the update! Now go drive that beautiful beast! Good luck with your endeavor!
Hopefully our truck will be here soon! Emailed Kelderman today.
Following in the 5500 footsteps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles