Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

rvrboy

5 Days in the North Maine Woods. Logging tracks shook the hell out of the trucks but everything held up and performed excellent. A great shake down trip in prep for our overland west trip.
770 miles total, 220 miles off pavement/off road. The weather varied from 94F and very humid to 45F with cold damp rain. Rode out a good squall with winds and torrential rain to put the campers to the test.

We saw a lot of wildlife including several moose, deer, grouse, an eagle and a black bear.
?

A wonderful trip!

Attachments

• NMW Day 2 01 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    NMW Day 2 01 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • NMW Day 2 03 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    NMW Day 2 03 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 141
  • NMW Day 2 13 062921 Bull Moose.JPG
    NMW Day 2 13 062921 Bull Moose.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • NMW Day 2 27 062921 Caucomgomoc Lake Salmon Dinner.JPG
    NMW Day 2 27 062921 Caucomgomoc Lake Salmon Dinner.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • NMW Day 3 07 062921 Lost Pond Spur.JPG
    NMW Day 3 07 062921 Lost Pond Spur.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
  • NMW Day 4 15 070121 Penobscot Lake.JPG
    NMW Day 4 15 070121 Penobscot Lake.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • NMW Day 1 05 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    NMW Day 1 05 062921 Seeboomook Lake.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 174
  • NMW Day 4 18 070121 Penobscot Lake Heater.JPG
    NMW Day 4 18 070121 Penobscot Lake Heater.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • NMW Day 5 04 070321 Penobscot Lake Track.JPG
    NMW Day 5 04 070321 Penobscot Lake Track.JPG
    836.9 KB · Views: 162
  • NMW Day 4 02 070121 North Branch Penobscot River NBX GARB.JPG
    NMW Day 4 02 070121 North Branch Penobscot River NBX GARB.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
So I am getting ready to jump on a water tank install finally & I definitely want to add a pump to the water system. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to gather or recommend for doing so? Any input is appreciated.

Veloruche

So I am getting ready to jump on a water tank install finally & I definitely want to add a pump to the water system. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to gather or recommend for doing so? Any input is appreciated.
This a parts list that AJ at GP Factor made for me.

Pump parts list

Shurflo Revolution Standard 12v...
SHURFLO 255-325 1/2" Barb Swivel...
SHURFLO (244-3926 Elbow Adapter
EDGE INDUSTRIAL 1/2" Hose ID to...
1/2-in ID x 10-ft Reinforced PVC Braided Vinyl Tubing https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-...einforced-PVC-Braided-Vinyl-Tubing/1000365045

10-Pack 3/8-in to 1-in dia Stainless Steel Adjustable Clamp https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-TRID...a-Stainless-Steel-Adjustable-Clamp/1001060546

3/4-in x 1/2-in dia Threaded Barb x Garden Hose Adapter Fitting https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-4-in-Threaded-Barb-x-Garden-Hose-Adapter-Fitting/1000504797

REGNHLIF 2 Pack 3/4 Inch Brass Garden Hose Adapter Male to Male Quick Connector

You can source this stuff anywhere you want but this is the exact parts I used.

Attachments

• BD5C7300-20D1-4720-A486-A4F7F84DA76D.jpeg
    BD5C7300-20D1-4720-A486-A4F7F84DA76D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
This a parts list that AJ at GP Factor made for me.

Pump parts list

Shurflo Revolution Standard 12v...
SHURFLO 255-325 1/2" Barb Swivel...
SHURFLO (244-3926 Elbow Adapter
EDGE INDUSTRIAL 1/2" Hose ID to...
1/2-in ID x 10-ft Reinforced PVC Braided Vinyl Tubing https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-...einforced-PVC-Braided-Vinyl-Tubing/1000365045

10-Pack 3/8-in to 1-in dia Stainless Steel Adjustable Clamp https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-TRID...a-Stainless-Steel-Adjustable-Clamp/1001060546

3/4-in x 1/2-in dia Threaded Barb x Garden Hose Adapter Fitting https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-4-in-Threaded-Barb-x-Garden-Hose-Adapter-Fitting/1000504797

REGNHLIF 2 Pack 3/4 Inch Brass Garden Hose Adapter Male to Male Quick Connector

You can source this stuff anywhere you want but this is the exact parts I used.

This is fantastic, thank's man! Much appreciated and just the guidance I need.

jerryv

New to this page, love all the build ideas and photos, seriously a huge help, thank you all who contribute.

I finalized my order today for a new 6' black alu-cab. Super impressed it will be shipped out next month to me. I've already ordered the solar components you guys have recommended, super stoked on that! I plan on wiring the goose gear board up before I receive my alu cab to save a little time and have less trouble-shooting to do when the alu cab arrives at my warehouse.

Does anyone have a single goose gear panel they would be willing to sell? I don't care what side it was made for as I don't care about the logo.

BCRanger

Hey all, first post here ... got our alu-cab a month ago and got it on literally two days before leaving on a rather epic trip through the US, from BC to UT to NY and back again. Our first foray was mostly just travelling from one families house to another -- w/ COVID haven't seen anyone for a couple of years now -- with a few days of driving in between. But we did use the thing a few nights including one memorable evening when we discovered that the Ramada motel we'd booked was so NASTY that we just couldn't stay in it. Got back in the truck, discovered there were literally no hotels available w/in 200 miles, found a wildlife area in the middle of Iowa and weighed anchor. So life saver there, though honestly at this point in build out it was not ideal, see below.

Just working on build out plans now. My plan is to do extruded alum for furnishings.

Along the way we picked up a few items I'll be installing soon, including a National Luna 50L fridge, battery box and SDC-DC system. Just ordered a couple of solar panels and 100-ah battery from Renogy.

Also, my 12-year old son backed me up on bying a pair of MaxTraxx as well as a shovel and axe mount so we can look sufficiently bad-ass lol. Just needing to decide where to mount the things. The Max Traxx slide ins don't fit on Moly panels in back. Thinking about mounting on side door using the MaxTrrax pins, but a bit reluctant to drill into the panels just yet. Might end up on the roof.

My current design challenges are:

1. Mileage SUCKED. We were doing about 18mpg at 70mph and 15 at 80mph. Ordinarily our Ranger should be getting over 20 in those conditions. Not surprising given that the gap between cab and canopy creates a perfect trap for generating turbulance. Experimented with taping a plastic panel to trailing edge of windshild which worked but abandoned that idea out of safety concerns, heh. Landed on a strategy of drafting tractor trailers which is also not ideal from safety perspective. I'd like to figure out some kind of air dam to close gap, or perhaps just a wedge (think top-down view) within gap to at least allow a path for airflow. Perhaps using area for water or other storge. Anyone seen any solutions here?

2. We need a solution for ourselves and two growing kids. As we expected going in, the 5' bed is not enough space to lie down in. It is just doable in a pinch. Of course, we can always do tent to suplement, but that kind of destroys point of camper in first place -- quick deploy and a place to keep us (kids esp.) safe from bears and cougars. (That's no joke around here.) My current thinking is to create a platform at level of side window base and build an insert to extend out one side window. My wife and kids think there won't be enough head room but I mocked it up and I think it will work ok. Anyone seen anything like that? Assuming not, I'll just build it and share it here when I'm done.

Enough for now, but enjoying reading everyone's experience, even if it means wading through the 50+ pages on this thread. (Just an idea, but maybe Canopy Camper deserves it's own section?)

View attachment DSCF5530-2.jpg

dvivian

he led positive and the two negatives coming to the panel from the harness.

I have done various troubleshooting steps with a multimeter and nothing seems amiss. My switch panel has power and my 12v outlet bank does as well. I tested other circuits (wiring for fridge) which all show a proper circuit.
Been meaning to post some better pics, but here's a quick shot of the current layout. Nothing fancy, but working well for my purposes - basically non-overlanding camping use and as a base camp for trail running & orienteering adventures. Also 3 business trips to the DC area on the cheap...

Dometic 40 fridge (readily accessible from drivers side or interior) Held in place with inexpensive load bar. There is a narrow milk crate between fridge and front of truck which keep vents clear and fridge out from under the camper overhang.

GZ 1400 battery w/ 100w panel on roof. As long as I don't park indoors (ie parking garage at work), solar pretty much keeps battery topped up with normal use. Prior to wiring the solar panels, the battery ran the fridge & lights for 4.5 days during a DC heatwave when I was down there on work earlier this summer.

Couch w/ milk crate storage using smaller camper pad. The couch also sits crosswise just in front of the load bar as well, but I prefer this orientation as I can put my running gear there and access it all easily from drivers side of truck.

Up top I have an Exped Megamat Duo w/ Nemo Symphony Duo mated sleeping bag.

FS - I am not using the stock mattress pad that comes with the rooftop tent. Its just sitting in the garage. If anyone in southern New England is interested, PM me, I'd rather see it go to a good use and will let it go cheap...
View attachment 533502

Hey @Clinton Morse - I know this post is from quite a while back, but just curious how you wired the camper lights to the Goal Zero? I am completely clueless when it comes to electrical, but seems it should be pretty easy as an interim solution before I settle on something a bit more permanent for house power in the ACCC. Thanks in advance.

Yes - You have two options on mounting the screens with Rivets.
Option 1) Rivet the velcro onto the camper.
Option 2) Don't use Velcro and mount the Screens directly to the camper with Rivets.

Additionally, the instructions for the screen kits recommend using 3M adhesive promoter. It works, and makes a night and day difference.
It is super important to properly prep the surface before installing the velcro. We have had a lot of success this way.

I honestly don't see myself removing the screen kits on my personal vehicle anymore, and will likely rivet the screens directly to the camper.

@seekoutbeauty please let me know if you mind sharing some photos of where and how many rivets you use for riveting the velcro for a bug net install? If you have any that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles