ARB Twin Compressor Install and Decked system

bikelanta

Adventurer
I’m working through the planning on where to install my ARB twin compressor in a 2021 Power Wagon. I’d rather not install it in the engine bay. I have a Decked Drawer system in the bed and it will eventually have a Super Pacific camper installed. I’ve seen examples where the compressor has been installed in the ammo cans of the Decked system. I could also attach it to molle panels at the front of the camper by the can rear window. The other area I’m really thinking about is in the inaccessible dead space the Decked system has between the ammo can and wheel wells. Has anyone seen an install along those lines or done it yourself?

Thanks for the feedback.

4000lbsOfGoat

I wouldn't recommend the "dead space" in the Decked system. If you need to get at the compressor for any reason you'll need to disassemble most of the system -not a lot of fun. Will the camper interfere with access to the ammo cans at all? If not, that's probably a better bet.

I'm curious as to why you want to avoid the engine bay?

bikelanta

Adventurer
I wouldn't recommend the "dead space" in the Decked system. If you need to get at the compressor for any reason you'll need to disassemble most of the system -not a lot of fun. Will the camper interfere with access to the ammo cans at all? If not, that's probably a better bet.

I'm curious as to why you want to avoid the engine bay?
The camper won't interfere with the ammo cans and I've seen videos where people have installed the compressor there.

For the engine bay, I don't really want to send any wiring through the firewall. I don't have a great reason, just seeing if I can avoid it. With the ammo can examples, the switch and air output can be mounted on the Decked system. Have also thought about mounting batteries in the dead space, which I could just connect the compressor to.

I'm open to being talked out of it, if there is a more compelling reason to have it in the engine bay or somewhere else.

4000lbsOfGoat

What wiring do you need to run through the firewall to mount in the engine bay? Seems like it would just be a switch wire and you could put a switch under the hood if you REALLY want to avoid running a wire through the firewall (which is, in itself, not really a big deal).

I have a Decked system myself and I know that some of that dead space is really tempting but I wouldn't put anything mechanically relevant in there. Even if it's just batteries, the connections to those batteries could easily shake loose over time. Accessing that space to check a wire is a major commitment.

bikelanta

Adventurer
Yes, it’s largely just the switch. I also don’t really want to attach it anywhere in the interior. You make a good point about mounting the switch in the engine bay.

Any key benefits you see for mounting it in the engine bay instead of an ammo can?

4000lbsOfGoat

Well, you'll certainly need less wire if it's mounted in the engine bay! Running wires (especially heavy ones) neatly and safely all the back to the bed can be pretty difficult unless you have access to a lift...

It may or may not matter much to you but you'd also lose the use of the ammo can. I've found mine to be super handy for things you don't need to access very often but which you would like to be able to access from the back. Although, I suppose a compressor could be one of those things!

I'm not familiar with the engine bay of a Power Wagon but it's probably a safe bet that someone makes an engine bay mounting bracket for your truck and that compressor since both that truck and that compressor are pretty popular choices.

Now I'm curious as to why you want to avoid adding a switch in the cab?

bikelanta

Adventurer
Well, you'll certainly need less wire if it's mounted in the engine bay! Running wires (especially heavy ones) neatly and safely all the back to the bed can be pretty difficult unless you have access to a lift...

It may or may not matter much to you but you'd also lose the use of the ammo can. I've found mine to be super handy for things you don't need to access very often but which you would like to be able to access from the back. Although, I suppose a compressor could be one of those things!

I'm not familiar with the engine bay of a Power Wagon but it's probably a safe bet that someone makes an engine bay mounting bracket for your truck and that compressor since both that truck and that compressor are pretty popular choices.

Now I'm curious as to why you want to avoid adding a switch in the cab?
It’s a brand new truck, I currently like the clean look of the interior without additional switches, and I don’t really want to cut into the dash to install the switch.

4000lbsOfGoat

It’s a brand new truck, I currently like the clean look of the interior without additional switches, and I don’t really want to cut into the dash to install the switch.
Does the truck have any available blank switches? Don't know much about Dodges...

bikelanta

Adventurer
Does the truck have any available blank switches? Don't know much about Dodges...
Unfortunately, not on the Power Wagons. They’re available on the standard 2500s.

I’m thinking about installing a Garmin PowerSwitch under the hood (like a SwitchPro or SPod), which would alleviate the need to install switches in the cab. You can use Bluetooth and a Garmin app on your phone to control it. As backup, there are on/off buttons on the PowerSwitch itself. It can also be controlled by some Garmin nav devices, which are under consideration only because I might install a wireless Garmin backup camera as a digital rear view mirror that can be viewed through the nav device. I’ll wait and see what the visibility on the Super Pacific is once installed. But that’s a tangent.

4000lbsOfGoat

That sounds like a good solution. For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with my Garmin Overlander. It took a bit of learning but now that we're used to it, it has been a great tool.

If one of them could control your switching and support the cameras that would be pretty slick.

bikelanta

Adventurer
That sounds like a good solution. For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with my Garmin Overlander. It took a bit of learning but now that we're used to it, it has been a great tool.

If one of them could control your switching and support the cameras that would be pretty slick.
That's good to hear on the Overlander. Right now I've just been using Gaia GPS on my phone. Appreciate the feedback.

bikelanta

Adventurer
The amp draw on the ARB twin compressor is greater than the PowerSwitch, so I think I'll have to find another solution. For now, I'm thinking about just mounting it in a milk crate for the short term until I use the truck more and get a feel for where I want to put it and how we use the Decked system. The underhood mount from NHOverland is on backorder and I don't want to drill into the ammo can until we figure out whether we want the space for other things. I think the milk crate or a Harbor Freight "Pelican-style" container can be a good short term solution to have the air and feel out our overall system.

bikelanta

Adventurer
The amp draw on the ARB twin compressor is greater than the PowerSwitch, so I think I'll have to find another solution.
After further research I can still use the PowerSwitch with the ARB, just need to wire the compressor directly to the battery and use a switch wire to the PowerSwitch.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Assume you don't have RamBox, but here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg