Hourless Life: Documenting Our Global Overland Adventure

Hourless Life

Update Sunday July 18, 2021:

As always, it seems that there are setbacks. The crew at Just Jeeps flew through all of the regular stuff (lift, wheels, tires, diff covers, springs, air bags, etc) However, once we started with the smaller stuff the pace slowed down a little. This is no reflection on Just Jeeps, it has to do with the individual pieces and parts from different manufacturers working together.

For example:
We received some amazing fog lights from Rigid Industries to add to our RockHard 4x4 aluminum front bumper with lowered winch plate. However the lights don't have hardware because they are universal for bumpers. Not a big deal, but having to slow down to figure out how to create brackets that will mount the lights that put the fog lights in just the right place, and then to craft those made to order mounts just takes time. They are in now, and they are awesome and seriously amazing lights. But... it took unexpected time to make it happen which delayed other parts of the build.

Again with the RockHard 4x4 bumper, our WARN 9.5xp winch fits inside the lowered winch plate area, but the holes that are cut in the winch plate do not allow for the winch to be centered which means that the fairlead isn't centered, which means the Spydura line cannot be properly spooled. So again with another delay. The folks at Just Jeeps are closed on the weekend, but got DAUNTLESS buttoned up enough for me to take it from Austin to Corpus Christi for the weekend so I could be with Brittany and Caspian. But that means that I had to leave them again and come back to Austin. I made it back tonight and will be back at the shop tomorrow morning. The bumper will have to come back off, winch removed, and holes in the plate cut so we can center the winch. Then we'll have to remount the winch, tension the Spydura line, and get it back on the winch. The bumper is a necessary part of our build because of the weight. At just 37 lbs, it is helping to keep our payload in check.

Originally the Rigid Industries Scene lights (that provide our exterior camp lighting) came with stainless hardware. However they were installed with black oxide because they wouldn't stand out so much. That was a mistake, they rusted almost instantly. #facepalm. But we left the correct stainless hardware in Denver, so I had to run to three different stores in search of the correct hardware, and finally found it, but again another delay. However those have been swapped back out and are once again operational. This one was my fault.

The ARB air compressor mount we are using is from Wayalife. It is a simple mount that bolts to the firewall inside the engine compartment on the drivers side. So this is good news right? No compressor in the vehicle so it is quieter and doesn't take up cabin space. I agree. However, now we need an double braided nylon air line extension and another fitting or two to make it so that I can actually use it. Those are delayed. Which means that most likely the air compressor will be installed and wired but not accessible until I can get the right parts. Ugh...

So the compressor still needs to be mounted and wired. And the next big ticket item is cutting the hood and adding the AEV snorkel with Sy-Klone pre-filter. This too will impact a few things. We aren't sure how the Rigid Industries pod lights are going to mount until we see how the snorkel mounts. Obviously snorkel trumps pod lights. We're hopeful we'll find a solution but won't know until we start. Also the GPS for the dash cam is currently sitting under the cowl on the passenger side which is really nice, but the snorkel and / or pod light mounts may end up causing interference with the signal and that remains to be seen.

So you can see that it is all of these little details that cause delays and frustrations. But as one of our community members on YouTube said, "Stick with it, it will all be worth it in the end." And so we stay focused. I'm once again ready to start early tomorrow. More updates to come. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Overland-Journal-Podcast.png

We were humbled to be interviewed by @Scott Brady for the Overland Journal Podcast back in April. The episode just went live today. If you'd like to give it a watch or listen you can find the links on this article in which @BrittanyHighland sums up what the episode is all about.

We are tremendously grateful to Scott and the team at Overland Journal / Overland International for sharing our story. We think it's so important for parents to know that extensive overlanding isn't only for singles and couples. We're happy to be a resource for anyone who wants to learn more. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Jeep-Gladiator-Overland-Build-Suspension.png

45 days. Including days off and driving days, that's what it took to build our rig. It was stock on June 7, 2021. On July 21, 2021 it was finished.

Meet DAUNTLESS. This is the rig we plan to drive around the world. ?

If you are interested you can watch the entire build series on our YouTube channel here.

So glad to have the rig done, now it is time for some little touches here and there and some shakedown runs. We also need to get it fully loaded and weighed at some point soon.

Our immediate plans:

1. We'll be in the Central / South Texas area from now until mid-August. Then we'll make our way to Overland Expo Mountain West in Loveland, CO.
2. DAUNTLESS will be on display at Overland Expo Mountain West in the Showcase Area. We'll also be speaking and on some panels.
3. We'll head to Montrose, CO to attend and speak about overlanding at the RV Entrepreneur Summit.
4. Tool around for a bit until Overland Expo West.
5. DAUNTLESS will be on display in the Goose Gear booth at Overland Expo West. We'll also be speaking and on some panels.
6. We'll make our way back to south Texas to say goodbye to family.
7. We may stop at the Texas Fall Expo October 1-3 in Llano, Texas.
8. In early October we'll cross the border into Mexico and begin our global journey.

~ Eric

Hourless Life

For those interested in the build portion (we're much more interested in the journey portion) but we kinda got to get through the build to get to the journey...

Our entire build series can be found on YouTube here.

But the highlights of the build are:

Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package. 4.10 gears, automatic transmission, 1535 lb payload
MOPAR 2" lift
TeraFlex 3.5" rear coil springs
Airlift 1000lb air bags
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
WARN Diamond Cutter wheels
BFG KO2 AT tires (34 10.50) Basically a 33.5" tire which was recommended by experienced international overlanders
Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (we reversed the main entry door as our living area is on the passenger side)
Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
Alu-Cab Shower Cube
Alu-Cab 13 gallon potable water tank
REDARC Manager30 with RedVision system
280 watts of solar by Cascadia 4x4
170ah Renogy Lithium Battery for the house
Webasto Gasoline Heater
Long Range America 17 gallon external fuel tank
Goose Gear Double Drawer modules x2
Goose Gear Utility Cabinets x2
Goose Gear Bulkhead
Goose Gear Deckplate
Goose Gear corner unit
Goose Gear 60 High seat delete
Goose Gear solo fridge slide
National Luna Legacy 50 fridge/freezer
Rigid Industries E-Series Pro 10" light bar
Rigid Industries fog lights
Rigid Industries Flood and Spot pod lights
Rigid Industries Scene lights (amber and white)
WARN 9.5xp winch with Spydura Nightline rope and Hub wireless controller
AEV Snorkel with Sy-Klone prefilter
RockHard 4x4 Aluminum front bumper with lowered winch plate

Obviously there is a lot of gear that we are carrying which I'll save for another thread on gear. But that's pretty much the highlights of the build itself.

We'll be at Overland Expo Mountain West in the showcase area, and at Overland Expo West in the Goose Gear booth this year if anyone is going to either event.

~ Eric

Last edited:

Hourless Life

Well it is time for another update. I really do these more for me than anyone else so I can look back and reflect on my own thoughts. It's kind of like letting others peer into my mind, and transparently I'm ok with that. It is all part of the journey.

Tomorrow July 27, 2021 Brittany and I are flying out to Seattle from Corpus Christi. We're going to visit my mother who is living in a really nice assisted living facility up there.

I'm an only child and she is 89 years old. It is a hard thing to feel like every time I say goodbye to her, it may be the last time. I really don't know what to do with it other than I try and make the experience as full of love as possible for both our sakes. We're really close. She's an incredible woman and she wants me to pursue my dreams. But somehow I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I feel some measure of guilt in that I'm getting ready to drive around the world, and she's in her twilight years living in a little apartment.

I wrestle with this quite a bit. It's one thing to leave people that you expect to see again, and then are saddened and surprised when something has happened to them. It is a whole different thing to leave someone in their senior years that you love and cherish, knowing full well that you may not see them again.

That's it for now. ~ Eric

You can always visit her whenever you have the time. It has never been easy to say goodbye to someone you love in order to pursue your dreams in life but is necessary.

Hourless Life

IMG_7188.JPG

Update: Sorry for the radio silence last Thursday.

Meet my 89 year young mom!

This is emotionally hard y'all. I'll explain why in this post.

So as you know if you've been following our posts, we are getting ready to drive around the world. This means that we'll be outside the United States potentially for years at a time. We do plan to fly back to the states to visit family and speak at some overlanding events, but it is possible that we'll be gone for 1-2.5 years at a time before returning to the states.

So we made it a point to fly up to Seattle this week to visit with my mom and help celebrate her 90th birthday which isn't until December but if all goes according to plan, we'll be out of the country by then. We had a super nice time. Oh and it was also our 10-year wedding anniversary while we were here which we spent taking care of my mom. She is so supportive of our global journey and for this we're ever thankful. But you just never know when it may be the last time you might see someone you love. And though we're hopeful of course to see my mom again, you just never know.

It is emotionally a hard thing to say goodbye when you feel like there is a chance it may be your last goodbye. Of course this applies to all loved ones of any age. So our advice to our community is to always leave those you love in peace. Make sure all forgiveness is given if any hurt is held. Life is far too short and fragile to hold onto anything. Basically make peace and be love and have no regrets. Thankfully we have no issues like this with my mom, but we've known too many families holding onto stuff that in the end doesn't really matter, and it hurts us when we see that. Anyway, we had a great time in Seattle and today we fly back to Texas to be with Caspian (who stayed with Brittany's parents during our trip.) We'll be in south Texas for a couple more weeks and then we'll start making the trek to Loveland, CO to speak at Overland Expo Mountain West at the end of August.

So that's our update. If you follow our YouTube channel, expect our next video this coming week. If you've taken the time to read all of this, thank you for being part of our community and we'd love to hear from you. So drop us a comment! ~ Eric + Brittany + Caspian

Just want to say that we don't have much to contribute, but my wife and myself are keeping up with your posts. Your OJ podcast interview really inspired us to solidify our decision to go full time remote and we started slowly changing our lifestyle to accommodate. We hope to be on the road within the next couple years. Also, we've decided that we'll definitely be going with a "city compatible" vehicle, thanks in part to this thread. Can't wait to see what comes next from you guys!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Hourless Life

Just want to say that we don't have much to contribute, but my wife and myself are keeping up with your posts. Your OJ podcast interview really inspired us to solidify our decision to go full time remote and we started slowly changing our lifestyle to accommodate. We hope to be on the road within the next couple years. Also, we've decided that we'll definitely be going with a "city compatible" vehicle, thanks in part to this thread. Can't wait to see what comes next from you guys!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Hi beanmachine,

I can see that you are new to Expedition Portal, so welcome to the platform. Thank you for taking the time to read up on our posts. Glad you had a chance to listen to the Overland Journal Podcast episode with us too. It was really humbling to sit across from Scott, but also nice to share a few things about overlanding from our perspective. So excited that you guys are going full-time remote, and more importantly that you've taken practical action towards that dream. If we can be a resource for you in any way along your journey, please don't hesitate to reach out. If by chance you are coming to Overland Expo Mountain West or Overland Expo West this year, we hope to meet you. DAUNTLESS will be on display at both and we'll be there! ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Should have mentioned this earlier, but we'll be going live on our YouTube channel tonight at 7pm central (in about a half an hour) in case anyone here sees this and wants to hang out. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Update 8/9/2021

Over the past few days, we've been finalizing our inventory. We actually keep an Evernote with everything we carry. So not only do we know what we have, but where specifically in the vehicle it is located.

I noticed our airbags were flat and we had to get that fixed. Busted an ABS line in the process, got that fixed too. Ok... so now we're about a week or so away from taking off on our first major shakedown run to Loveland, CO for Overland Expo Mountain West. Right now DAUNTLESS is firing on all cylinders and is a LOT of fun to drive.

Had a couple of alarms set off the other night where I had to go out and see what was going on. Definitely someone trolling the vehicle. But it's all good. It does tend to attract attention. Sometimes the wrong kind.

We are so ready to get back out on the road. This house thing is fun for about 3 days...that is about my limit.

I have been enjoying the pool at my in-laws though, I've been sitting in it and reflecting on the journey we are about to undertake. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be back in this pool, or in this childhood home of my wife's.

The journey we are looking to take is massive and I'm ready mentally for the challenge.

wurningdirt

View attachment 672851

45 days. Including days off and driving days, that's what it took to build our rig. It was stock on June 7, 2021. On July 21, 2021 it was finished.

Meet DAUNTLESS. This is the rig we plan to drive around the world. ?

If you are interested you can watch the entire build series on our YouTube channel here.

So glad to have the rig done, now it is time for some little touches here and there and some shakedown runs. We also need to get it fully loaded and weighed at some point soon.

Our immediate plans:

1. We'll be in the Central / South Texas area from now until mid-August. Then we'll make our way to Overland Expo Mountain West in Loveland, CO.
2. DAUNTLESS will be on display at Overland Expo Mountain West in the Showcase Area. We'll also be speaking and on some panels.
3. We'll head to Montrose, CO to attend and speak about overlanding at the RV Entrepreneur Summit.
4. Tool around for a bit until Overland Expo West.
5. DAUNTLESS will be on display in the Goose Gear booth at Overland Expo West. We'll also be speaking and on some panels.
6. We'll make our way back to south Texas to say goodbye to family.
7. We may stop at the Texas Fall Expo October 1-3 in Llano, Texas.
8. In early October we'll cross the border into Mexico and begin our global journey.

~ Eric

Amazing rig you got there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles