external key storage

pith helmet

What kind of vehicle? I have used a few different non-commercial methods on p/u trucks.
I have stashed it in a ziploc bag with clean trash (clif bar wrapper, etc) inside the bed stake pocket, hiding in plain sight.
I have stuffed them into an easily accessible part of the frame in a ziploc and in a piece of closed cell foam.
My current way is in the side tool box wrapped in a greasy rag stuffed in the bottom. Not much that most thieves would want in there so I leave it unlocked most of the time but carry a spare tool box key in my wallet for when I do lock it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I knew someone who hid a momentary contact button wired to the unlocking relay.

I don’t know if he ever needed it in a real situation but I’ve been in locked out or close situations a time or two.

Once the dog jumped on the lock button, another a friend locked the truck as we got out, thinking I had the key.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you are going to use a magnet case make sure the surface it goes on has no undercoating.
I put mine inside the frame, taped it shut and wired it to the frame through a bolt hole. Bumpy roads do not stand a chance.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I carry a truck door key and lock box key in my wallet and another door and lock box key hidden on the truck.
The key fob and spare batteries are in a lock box hidden inside the truck cab.

ExpoMike

Make sure if you are going to use a key fob, it is not one that is tied into your security of the vehicle, i.e. once in the truck, they can start it (if you have push button start).

kylethompson

Hitch Safe

I have this one and love it. Ive tried lock boxes and if they don’t have a good cover the dirt from off roading messes with the tumblers. This one comes with a good cover and if you lose it you can buy just a replacement cover.

87da8e58f941975e23a2877d10faec0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyaddict

I don’t know if he ever needed it in a real situation but I’ve been in locked out or close situations a time or two.

This is the method I use on my service vans except my momentary switch is tied in to the rear door lock switch. It's well hidden and I also have a switch inside to turn this feature off. I mainly do it because it's easier than giving a key to the people I train. The trick is to have it close enough to the handle so people don't even notice you pressing it, I use it more than my key fob when I need something from the van.

roving1

I'm sure some must be good but every magnet or adhesive one has disappeared by the time I have ever needed to use it.

I just zip tie a key in a spot you can't see.

s.e.charles

thanks for all the suggestions. i've got plenty of options & decisions to go through now, from the philosophy to hardware!

D

Deleted member 9101

I've done that on a couple of vehicles. It's really nice when you want to hike, swim, in or run and not worry about carrying a key with you.

jgaz

Adventurer
Make sure if you are going to use a key fob, it is not one that is tied into your security of the vehicle, i.e. once in the truck, they can start it (if you have push button start).

I hide just the door key externally under the vehicle.
The spare fob is well hidden inside the vehicle in a RFID bag.

Many thanks to the manufactures for making something very convenient but infinitely more complicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94