Dometic PLB40 Review

jonathon

Bottom line up front: If you’re looking for a compact battery to run a fridge and charge devices for 2+ days without marrying a dual battery system to one vehicle the PLB40 is for you. Add a solar panel and some cable and you can run it as long as you care to.

Negatives: Cost, won’t run an inverter, 15a max output, won’t replace a house battery system for those with high power demands.

I purchased an ARB 47 liter fridge last year and ran it last summer off the starting battery. This worked fine for touring and one night stops but wasn’t suitable for leaving the vehicle parked for a few days. I looked into installing a dual battery system in my truck and at the end of the day it didn’t make much sense to me to spend a few hundred bucks on a house battery system for my truck when I also wanted to use the fridge in our Subaru.

The PLB40 looked like a good turn key solution that could be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. It draws up to 8 amps when plugged into the vehicle and has the ability to be charged via solar panel. It comes with a 12v plug and AC adapter. The 12v plug converts to Dometic’s locking 2 prong system so if you have a Dometic or ARB 2 prong outlet wired up this will work. The 2 prong plug on my ARB fridge plugged right into the 2 prong port on the front of the PLB40.

So far we have used the PLB40 for 10 nights and multiple day trips. It works really well for our uses and charges fast off the vehicle or off a 100w solar panel. The PLB40 has exceeded expectations. This setup has pretty much replaced the soggy cooler food and drinks even for day trips.

On one particular trip we toured Montana and Idaho in the Subaru and were able to leave the PLB40 plugged into the keyed 12v port in the cargo area.

hj6PaC8.jpg

It worked awesome. Most nights we’d wake up to 80% battery left. There was one major issue. One night we stayed at a hotel and did not unpack and set up camp. This left all our gear tightly packed around the fridge. The fridge ran all night because there was no air space around the compressor and it struggled to cool. It took a while for me to figure this out. For best performance the vents around the fridge must be mostly unobstructed. Tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress really made it too air tight. Once I figured this out I packed accordingly and the problem was solved and it used even less power. During this trip I also set the fridge to 22*f while driving and 30*f while parked.

On the most recent weekend trip I ran my ARB Fridge for 43 hours off the PLB40 and the charge was only down to 35%. This was with the fridge being regularly accessed for drinks and restocked with water a couple times. I made sure there was space around the vents and the fridge was chilled on AC power before leaving. I kept the temp set at 28*f.

On the negative side is cost. I paid $900 for the ARB Fridge and $660 for the PLB40; that buys a lot of ice. One thing I noticed though while traveling this summer is how many places are sold out of ice. The convenience factor is huge. Having dry, cold food is awesome. Chilling warm drinks in the forest miles from anywhere is priceless.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yep and the more you use it the more you will like the no fuss ease of life that the PLB's have.

I have been running 2 PLB's for 2 or 3 years now to power my 2 ARB's, I have the 47L and the 78L,

I went on a bit of a road trip yesterday and used a PLB-40 to power my small dometic CDF-18L Fridge, It power the fridge for 26 and a half hours and still had 33% power left that might seem a little high in terms of power consumtion during the day the temperture in the Camper/Van reached 43.4*c /110.12*f after being powered for 26, 1/2 hours having used 67% of it's power I plugged the PLB in to the Cigar socket and in just over 3 hours the PLB was fully charged again.

The PLB-40 will charge from a Cigar socket at the same speed as it does from the Wall Wart which is quite fast Too, I have run both the 47L and the 78L from the PLB's and they are the perfect solution for using to power a fridge.

Due to the charging speed via AC or DC or Solar I don't think there is a better product on the market, sure some solar chargers/Battery packs have other features but when it comes to stand alone power nothing comes close.

jadmt

ignore button user
I love my ARB 50 and jackery 1000 too. I can run my fridge at 32-36F in 90+ outside temps (was in my vehicle so had to be a lot hotter during the day hours) for 4 days without a charge (I have 4 frozen 16 ounce water bottles that I place in the fridge and they stay frozen and I am sure help keep the fridge from kicking on much). When I am moving again I can plug the jackery into the 12V accessory port and it recharges while it powers the fridge. It charges pretty fast as well altho I have not actually timed how fast it takes but i figure If I were camped for 4 days and then drove for 8 hours I would be fully charged might actually be closer to 6 hours of driving I will have to pay closer attention. Jackery sells factory blems for $500 shipped.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I love my ARB 50 and jackery 1000 too. I can run my fridge at 32-36F in 90+ outside temps (was in my vehicle so had to be a lot hotter during the day hours) for 4 days without a charge (I have 4 frozen 16 ounce water bottles that I place in the fridge and they stay frozen and I am sure help keep the fridge from kicking on much). When I am moving again I can plug the jackery into the 12V accessory port and it recharges while it powers the fridge. It charges pretty fast as well altho I have not actually timed how fast it takes but i figure If I were camped for 4 days and then drove for 8 hours I would be fully charged might actually be closer to 6 hours of driving I will have to pay closer attention. Jackery sells factory blems for $500 shipped.
Yeah the 1000 is a Peach, gotta love having enough power to keep the fridge going for 3 or 4 days, (y)

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Bottom line up front: If you’re looking for a compact battery to run a fridge and charge devices for 2+ days without marrying a dual battery system to one vehicle the PLB40 is for you. Add a solar panel and some cable and you can run it as long as you care to.

Negatives: Cost, won’t run an inverter, 15a max output, won’t replace a house battery system for those with high power demands.

I purchased an ARB 47 liter fridge last year and ran it last summer off the starting battery. This worked fine for touring and one night stops but wasn’t suitable for leaving the vehicle parked for a few days. I looked into installing a dual battery system in my truck and at the end of the day it didn’t make much sense to me to spend a few hundred bucks on a house battery system for my truck when I also wanted to use the fridge in our Subaru.

The PLB40 looked like a good turn key solution that could be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. It draws up to 8 amps when plugged into the vehicle and has the ability to be charged via solar panel. It comes with a 12v plug and AC adapter. The 12v plug converts to Dometic’s locking 2 prong system so if you have a Dometic or ARB 2 prong outlet wired up this will work. The 2 prong plug on my ARB fridge plugged right into the 2 prong port on the front of the PLB40.

So far we have used the PLB40 for 10 nights and multiple day trips. It works really well for our uses and charges fast off the vehicle or off a 100w solar panel. The PLB40 has exceeded expectations. This setup has pretty much replaced the soggy cooler food and drinks even for day trips.

On one particular trip we toured Montana and Idaho in the Subaru and were able to leave the PLB40 plugged into the keyed 12v port in the cargo area.

hj6PaC8.jpg

It worked awesome. Most nights we’d wake up to 80% battery left. There was one major issue. One night we stayed at a hotel and did not unpack and set up camp. This left all our gear tightly packed around the fridge. The fridge ran all night because there was no air space around the compressor and it struggled to cool. It took a while for me to figure this out. For best performance the vents around the fridge must be mostly unobstructed. Tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress really made it too air tight. Once I figured this out I packed accordingly and the problem was solved and it used even less power. During this trip I also set the fridge to 22*f while driving and 30*f while parked.

On the most recent weekend trip I ran my ARB Fridge for 43 hours off the PLB40 and the charge was only down to 35%. This was with the fridge being regularly accessed for drinks and restocked with water a couple times. I made sure there was space around the vents and the fridge was chilled on AC power before leaving. I kept the temp set at 28*f.

On the negative side is cost. I paid $900 for the ARB Fridge and $660 for the PLB40; that buys a lot of ice. One thing I noticed though while traveling this summer is how many places are sold out of ice. The convenience factor is huge. Having dry, cold food is awesome. Chilling warm drinks in the forest miles from anywhere is priceless.

Thanks for the great write-up! I'm going to share this with the product team behind the PLB40. I think they will appreciate all the points (pros and cons) that you've shared. (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

kb1ejh

I had an issue with my PLB40 after 18 months. Called Dometic and had to wait for tech support. Get a drink and a snack...I was in que for a while but who isn't short of good help these days?? When I got ahold of tech support, they were not exactly sure what was the problem but said send an email to them with pictures and they will send it to the engineers and get an answer. Oh, that will take forever... Nope, answer, solution, resolution all in the same day! Replacement part arrived in the same week that I called! I know others may have had issues with Dometic in the past but it seems like they may have listened to those that fussed and are getting things in order. Cheers to the tech support/customer service at Dometic for standing by their products!

Mtpisgah

I have a Genesis dual battery system and it was not keeping up with my fridge due to too many short drives. I looked for a PLB but could not find one in stock on short notice so I bought a Goal Zero. I am happy with it but believe the PLB would be more versatile. I am going to solar next week so hopefully it will not be an issue anymore and I can sell the GZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz