Goldie's Travel Log

GoldiesGarage

Hey guys,

I want this to be my adventure/overlanding thread but... my "Overland" truck is still a work in progress and I still like to go hiking. As for now, I am forced to keep the two separate.

This video is about a hike my brother and I did in Red Rock Canyon right by Las Vegas.

I plan on making more hiking videos since I like going hiking. On the plus side, hiking videos are way more fun and cheaper to make then truck build videos.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Nice video's. I did about 12 miles in red rock canyon a couple years ago. I really liked the place. When at the top of the turtle head mountain I could see Charleston and plan to do it next time I am in the area.

GoldiesGarage

Nice video's. I did about 12 miles in red rock canyon a couple years ago. I really liked the place. When at the top of the turtle head mountain I could see Charleston and plan to do it next time I am in the area.
Thanks,
Red Rock is a super nice area. I'm planning to do Mt. Charleston Trail after I do Cathedral Rock Trail. I am using these hike to figure out the camera stuff.

GoldiesGarage

A friend of mine told me about Kenny Veach. A guy who was hiking around the caves North of Las Vegas and disappeared. I was wandering Google maps and saw a place called Twin Caves Canyon. It piqued my interest. It seemed like a good place to start. I didn't really plan to go looking for him, rather I wanted to see some caves. My buddy Shaine came along with me. This is the video I made.

During this hike I lost my red wallet. It had about 200 Dollars in it. So if you are bored and want to go on a $200~ish treasure hunt.
Find Kenny Veach, my missing wallet...

I was using Gaia to track my route. I have listed my Gaia track below.
Gaia Track https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XKSL...

GoldiesGarage

Summited Mt Charleston, very interesting hike. This is the highest I've even been. My brother felt like blazing up the mountain and didn't think of water conservation...

DieselRanger

The Vegas area is a fantastic location for weekend exploring. I lived there for ~3 years and there's a great underground adventure scene. Most of my summers I spent up in Southern Utah or over on the East Face of the Sierras on the 395 corridor. Mt Charleston isn't terribly tall, but it's a very long hike and even at 11,000+ feet in the summer it can be extremely hot as you experienced - and the virtually zero humidity means you don't sweat, you "salt", and so don't realize how much moisture you're losing. Hydration is essential, but electrolyte intake is even more important.

I once did a loop around the outside of the NTTR on old gravel roads/rail beds and some state highway in a Subaru Outback - took me all day and into the night, but it was fun. Wish now I had a true overland rig to really enjoy it.

ITTOG

Looks like two very nice hikes. Glad running out of water didn't create worse problems for you. That is a dangerous situation that happens all too often. Thanks for the video's.

GoldiesGarage

The Vegas area is a fantastic location for weekend exploring. I lived there for ~3 years and there's a great underground adventure scene. Most of my summers I spent up in Southern Utah or over on the East Face of the Sierras on the 395 corridor. Mt Charleston isn't terribly tall, but it's a very long hike and even at 11,000+ feet in the summer it can be extremely hot as you experienced - and the virtually zero humidity means you don't sweat, you "salt", and so don't realize how much moisture you're losing. Hydration is essential, but electrolyte intake is even more important.

I once did a loop around the outside of the NTTR on old gravel roads/rail beds and some state highway in a Subaru Outback - took me all day and into the night, but it was fun. Wish now I had a true overland rig to really enjoy it.
I agree, great hiking places, near a lot of neat places. I want to dabble in Southern Utah or Utah in general. In the future once I have a nice overland rig, I will and more.

Looks like two very nice hikes. Glad running out of water didn't create worse problems for you. That is a dangerous situation that happens all too often. Thanks for the video's.
Super nice scenery everywhere, Yeah, Blazing up a mountain on a long hike is not the smartest thing to do. Then on top of that, downing all the water. I think Ish learned a very important lesson about hiking.
You are welcome, Thanks for watching.

GoldiesGarage

Did a day trip to Sand Hollow. 1st time there, never drove on a dune before. Did some random filming, threw it all together and made this short video.

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

Four Days of Camping - Flagstaff & Sedona Arizona

Started off the camping trip by volunteering at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff Arizona. This is my first time attending this event and volunteering. I was tasked with being the Overland Experience Camp Host. At the beginning it was chaos but eventually it started to get better. 99% Overland Experience Campers were fantastic to deal with. Some of the rigs these guys are rocking are phenomenal. I was blessed to be able to meet so many fantastic people that shared the enjoyment of vehicle travel. I camped at the Expo till Saturday, I was waiting on Shaine and my brothers, Ish & Eman to meet me. We walked around the Expo to check out the vendor's camp kitchen setups and roof top tents. Shaine and I are planning to build our own DIY camp kitchens and wanted some ideas. Seeing some of these vendors asking $10,000 for their camp kitchens really helped get the DIY creative juices flowing. Shaine bought an ARB fridge/freezer to get DIY setup started. Heavy rain was in the forecast, myself and others planned to leave before the skies opened up. With everything loaded, it was time to head to Sedona Arizona.
20210923_093150.jpg
Sedona is only about a 45 minute drive from the Expo. One super neat thing is that the drive is so beautiful. Driving through the forests and going down steep mountain roads was just awesome. State RTE 89A was just a great drive. I had a very short itinerary for us in Sedona, get to the top of Schnebly Hill Rd (Jeep Badge of Honor Trail) and do the trail, Broken Arrow. I hate driving my D-max up Schnebly Hill. The tow suspension is terrible. I move at the pace of a snail, 5 mph. I also scratched two of my rims on this run. Once at the top, I wanted to find a campsite and set up before it got dark because the meal for the night was Jerk and pineapple marinated lamb leg in the Dutch oven. Never used a Dutch oven before but it seemed worth a try. Found camp just off the road and about 7 minutes from the top of Schnebly hill. Everyone started getting set up. My setup is very primitive: a one man tent, ISO mat and a sleeping bag. Ish's setup was the back seat of the Jeep, Eman's was a hammock with a blanket. Shaine's was a "setup in seconds" tent, had a leg that didn't want to work, small air mattress and a sleeping bag. I started the Dutch oven on the BBQ, while we found dead tree branches and other flammables. We got the fire going and transferred the Dutch oven off the BBQ to the fire. Looking in the direction of the Expo, we could see a thunderstorm flashing lightning. Enjoying our dry camp and beautiful fire, we just relaxed while waiting for dinner. Me being a bonehead, I forgot to check the time I started cooking the lamb leg. I think it was around 7 pm when we took it off. Any longer, the lamb leg would have been toast. It came out pretty good for almost ruining it. Bellies full it was time to hit the hay. Waking up to nature is such a fantastic thing. During the night the storm grew and covered the sky above our campsite. We woke up to small raindrops splashing on our tents. Not wanting to tear down in a downpour. We started the morning, packing up our setups. Beautiful yellow flowers surrounded the campsite. A tarantula came out to greet us good morning. This day is starting off great.
20210925_182022.jpg
20210925_195438.jpg
20210926_081601.jpg
20210926_072913.jpg
Traversing down Schnebly hill the clouds were low, covering the tops of the Sedona mountains. This feels so different from the first time I was here. Moving at my snail's pace I finally got to the end and my brother navigated us to the Broken Arrow Trail. Knowing the limitations of my truck's stock suspension, I parked it at the trailhead parking lot. Hopped in the Shaine's Jeep Wrangler. Once on the trail the rain started to be more consistent. The dry powdery dirt slowly turned to rich red mud. Rushing water started to fill the trail. Waterfalls started to form. Driving up the sandstone, the tire traction never once slipped. Everyone in the Jeep was enjoying themselves. We drove back to my truck which is now in a pool of water. What a great day today has been. But we all have work the next day. We drove out the way we came, the scenic State RTE 89A. There I was driving north, putting the pine trees behind me, headed back home to the desert of Nevada.
20210926_082634.jpg

20210926_095940.jpg
20210926_100003.jpg
20210926_100021.jpg
20210926_101434.jpg
Until the next adventure.

GoldiesGarage

During the Thanksgiving break Nov 25-28 2021, a buddy of mine, Dan, packed his Tacoma with his gear and hit the road...The Mojave Road. We planned for being out there for 4 days and the first is a travel day. I have completed the Mojave Road before, for Dan this is his first time. I decided to meet Dan at my Parents house, since it was on the way for him. When he rolled up and we rolled out.

Day 1 - Travel Day - We started out by getting on the good Ol' Route 66 and pulled over at Roy's Motel. I got my picture with the famous Route 66 sign in the middle of the road. On the side of route 66 there are these two Lion statue things. It always surprises me what people put in the middle of the desert.
20211125_135022.jpg
20211125_135153.jpg
20211125_135909 50.jpg
Our goal for this travel day was to make it to the Colorado River and find a camp site. We got to the got close to the river and started looking for fuel. In California 87 octane was about $5.50ish a gallon. A few minute drive to Arizona fuel was $4.80ish. We filled our tanks and set off looking for that camp site. We got lucky and found a nice one. We set up camp, made some food and went to bed eager for the start of this fantastic trail. In the morning I knew I had to pick a rock up for Travelers Monument. My group has a thing were you have to take a swim in the Colorado River. You must Cleanse yourself of your filth before you can take this Hole Trek. So I jumped in and selected two beautifully basic river rocks. Packed up and now the journey has officially started.
Camp Site.JPG
Water rocks.JPG
20211126_102827 50.jpg
Off we go...

GoldiesGarage

Day 2 - First stop was Fort Piute. The road leading us there is covered with fist sized rock which made me traverse at a slower pace. Fort Piute was used for the US Mail and keeping the Native Americans away from the near by springs. It's crazy that this is in the middle of literally nowhere and with real trees. The second point of interest was the Petroglyphs. We went up a side road which dead ended about a 1/4 mile from the Petroglyphs. We ditch the trucks and went for a hike. When we got to the mountain we see a group camping slightly off to the side. I guess you can drive right up to it. I thought there would be one or two but the mountain was COVERED in them. Really neat to see all the art work.

20211126_120214 50.jpg
fort.JPG
20211126_135710 50.jpg
After walking back to the vics, we got back on the Mojave Road and headed to west to the Penny tree. I liked how the trail sunk in to the environment and the Joshua trees were flanking both side as you are cruising through. I didn't count it all but it looked like a decent amount of money in that little can. Finishing up with the Penny tree, it was time to look for a campsite. The people we meet at the Petroglyphs, Told us about the New York Mountains. I thought that sound like a great place to camp. So we took a detour and started heading North. The detour took a while and Dan wasn't particularly thrilled about the area. I misread the map and to a turn to early. We decided that the best course of action was to get double back and get back on the Mojave Road and look for a campsite slightly off the road. We past a few of them already so we should be able to find another. It was a good call because the next campsite we found was the Rock House, alone waiting for some company. We set up camp and enjoyed the beautiful sky and sunset.
20211126_161210 50.jpg
20211126_142832 50.jpg
New York MT.JPG
20211126_164249.jpg
20211126_164309.jpg
20211127_055349.jpg

Life is good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member