05-20 Frontier?

Drove a 15 Monday and I’m really liking these. Looking for a 4 door 4x4. What do I need to watch out for? Are the manual transmissions reliable? Anything to look for in regards to drivetrain or body? What do I need to avoid? Expected longevity?
Looking for a complete education on the 05-20 Nissan Frontiers. Thanks.

Joe917

Explorer
I have owned 3 Frontiers, I lie, a Hardbody and 2 Frontiers. All automatics. All used, low mileage and high mileage. All 3 gave great service, rust was the death of all 3 but I am in eastern Ontario where road salt kills all. The big fault on these trucks is fuel economy, really poor for a small truck.

We deal with the salt in WV as well. Having owned plenty of Toyotas I know all about that. But I will say that it seems like the Frontiers fair better around here.
As far as fuel economy goes, I have an extended cab Tacoma with a 4 cylinder now and I’m only at 19.5. 17 loaded with the cap on. If I could be close to that with the v6 I would be happy.

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Stick with the 12-19, you avoid the early issues with SMOD killing automatic transmissions. The engine/transmission changed in 2020, so it's really an unknown for reliability. Fuel economy and limited aftermarket support are the only real downsides IMO. Fuel economy ranges from 9-10 city at worst to 14-15 at best. Highway is around 17-21 depending on how you drive. Only the GM twins/Gladiator with the diesel and the Ranger really have decent fuel economy in the mid sized truck range, but not good enough to justify the extra cost IMO. There is aftermarket support, and you can get most of the same things you can get for other trucks, but there is usually only a couple options instead of a dozen.

zanethan

Strawberry milkshake of death. The internal trans cooler lines would develop leaks and coolant would mix with trans fluid creating a pink frothy liquid that’s kills the transmission. This issue is resolved on post 2010 model years. This doesn’t effect manuals. As far as the manual reliability goes it’s pretty solid but the clutch can be a weak spot. It’s not supper tolerant of a lot of slippage.

llamalander

Been driving an '08 frontier since new. Brakes are less than great, so is the turning radius. HP is plentiful- but there is a split-second lag between when you decide to spend the gas money and when it disappears.
SMOD is easily avoided with a separate transmission cooler, if it came with the tow-package stock it should be fine. The 4wd on the fly is impressive, great in the snow and always surprising on the dirt & sand how much it will accomplish stock.
Only the Pro-X has an electronic locker, but even just the open diffs of the SE work well. Pro-X is only the short-bed, which is about 5'. OME or other aftermarket suspension is a big improvement over stock, the speedo was calibrated for 32" tires, even though those only come with the top trims. Temp and voltage gauges are not accurate or true, which is annoying. The ABS kicks in at far to low a speed and some of the other electronics have proven difficult to bypass or work around. That said, the online communities are pretty broad with their interests and investigating issues and fixes, which is pretty cool.
If you think maintenance should be changing the oil, rotating the tires and filling up the tank and washer fluid, this is the vehicle for you. If you want a truck that doesn't need aftermarket turbos, bed-stiffeners or a ton of mods to work as advertised, you're on the right track. For lockers, armor, bumpers and caps, there are a few options to choose from, just not dozens.
Also, it doesn't look angry--maybe an angry looking truck is your thing, this one just looks pretty content.
Planning on driving mine into the ground--could take a while yet.

Thanks to everyone. I’m looking newer than 2010 so smod shouldn’t be an issue. This is going to be a weekend camper and daily driver first and foremost. Sounds like it would be a good setup for me.

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
Are there ring and pinion gears available? 4.56ish?
Frontier auto's have non typical gear ratios, so the final gear ratio is different too. The V6 4x4 autos come with 3.36 and I believe the manuals are 3.69. The 3.36 in a Frontier is equivalent to a 3.69 or so in a typical vehicle. This Club Frontier post is a good place to start. https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/what-axle-gears-do-i-have-in-my-2nd-gen.32992/ Be warned new Nissan ring and pinions are expensive, like $800-1000 per axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94