WFNH: Working from Not Home... Wyoming, then... ??

jhmoore

Can I just say that global warming, or whatever the heck is going on, just sucks? I'm supposed to be headed to near Flathead Lake in Montana over the weekend... where is should be about 70 degrees this time of year... but the forecast for Monday is 90 degrees. And it's been pretty hot here in Jackson Hole as well. Not appreciated!

Meanwhile... DON'T BE THAT GUY! The time from here to ripping his face off is way under 1 second. I'm not talking about the cub next to the car... that's mom on the left. I don't care how "civilized" you THINK that grizzly bear is...JHM_0610.jpg

OllieChristopher

John your picture just proves how dumb people are. I saw something similar in the Grand Teton's when I took a picture seated on my idling motorcycle from a way distance (like a 1/4 mile or more) of a few Moose. There were actually a few boneheads that started hiking up to them. I did not wait to see what happened.

Jupiter58

Meanwhile... DON'T BE THAT GUY! The time from here to ripping his face off is way under 1 second. I'm not talking about the cub next to the car... that's mom on the left. I don't care how "civilized" you THINK that grizzly bear is...

He’s in a car. Won’t be any face ripping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OllieChristopher

He’s in a car. Won’t be any face ripping.

Meaning no disrespect but you would not make that statement if you have ever seen how fast a bear can move. That grizzly has the ability to rip that door off and kill that man before he can hit the accelerator and get out of the way.

As a tip to others in bear country always stop and eat facing upwind (wind to your back). In Yosemite a young man was at his picnic table eating a snack and suddenly from behind black bear ran, jumped up and snatched his daypack with food not missing a beat before lumbering off at close to 30mph!

OllieChristopher

Kind of off topic but I always wanted to see a hungry African lion and grizzly right out of hibernation going at it in a fight. I don't think the lion would stand a chance.

jhmoore

For anyone following the disaster of a Jackery thread elsewhere in this forum (and love of god please don't start up here), my replacement Jackery finally arrived and I picked it up yesterday... along with another replacement for a necessary piece of equipment for my travels, so I'm departing Jackson Hole this afternoon and finally starting the rest of this journey. For amusement value, here's how picking up the Jackery went yesterday... it wasn't exactly according to plan... couldn't decide at the time if I was very amused or just wanted to rip my own head off.

Shipping my replacement Jackery to Jackson, Wyoming

Jackery power supplies are giant rechargeable lithium batteries and as such, pose a fire hazard and must travel by ground shipping. Jackery shipped my replacement on the Tuesday after Memorial Day and it was due to arrive in Jackson, Wyoming, that Friday. Friday came and went, I had a completely incomprehensible call with a guy at FedEx where he referred to some “issue” but didn’t give any further specifics other than that someone would call me. They never did. Ultimately, the online tracker updated to say that the package would arrive Monday.

On Monday, the tracker updated to Tuesday. Still no call, still no indication of what the “issue” was. And this was my first time shipping something to a location other than my house, so I was nervous that the whole process would actually work.

Late Tuesday, I got a text that the package had arrived and been signed for by JJOHNSON. It was too late for me to go down that day (Jackson is a 45 minute drive from where I was staying), and I ended up not going down Wednesday, either, because Verizon was overnighting a replacement MiFi device (the new one they gave me for the recalled device never once worked)—to arrive by noon Thursday. I figured that I’d pick them both up at once… and prayed that my delay in picking up the first package didn’t mean that they would have shipped it back to Jackery by then. I had no way to contact the local office to tell them I’d be in on Thursday.

Jackson has two FedEx locations—we’ll call them Location A and Location B. Both of my items were shipped to Location A.

Come midday Thursday and I drive into Jackson and go into Location A, hand them my driver’s license, and tell them that I think they have two packages for me. No, the nice lady says, they have one package—the overnight from Verizon. She signs that package out for me and then gets to work researching the Jackery package. Her computer says the same thing that it’s telling me: it was delivered to Location A and signed for. Except that they don’t have it. Nor do they have an employee named JJOHNSON. She picks up the phone and calls Location B. “Do you have it?” Wait a bit and they tell her, yes, they have it. “It’s down the highway a ways, just past the Mavericks gas station,” she says.

Back in the car I go, to a fairly industrial-looking FedEx location, then wait 20-25 minutes for several customers with complicated orders. Finally I hand the guy my drivers license and say that I think he has a package for me. An extremely short, middle-aged guy with a quirky hat and a quirky sense of humor. He checks and says that no, he does not have my package. If it was shipped ground, he says, it would be at Location A. I just came from Location A, I say. They called you, and you told them that you have it. No, he says, he didn’t talk to anyone. Maybe it’s in Idaho, he says? After a few more back and forths, he finally says, “I’ve only had one ground package delivered recently and it’s for John Moore.” “I’m John Moore!” I just showed you my driver’s license! I didn’t say that last part.

I unbox the new Jackery, put the old, broken Jackery back in the box and hand it back to him. How much to ship it home to San Diego? It’s a hazardous material, he says, I can’t fill out that paperwork for you. Go over to Location A, they can help you.

Back in my car, back over to the nicer, retail FedEx location. The same nice lady helps me again. “Can you help me ship this back to San Diego?” No, she says, we can’t do the hazardous material paperwork. You have to go to Location B. They can do that.

“I just came from Location B! He told me that I had to come here.”

Some discussion with management and they decided that if I used one of their retail computers and filled out the shipment paperwork myself online, they could accept the shipment from me… they just weren’t authorized to fill out the paperwork themselves. They set me up on a computer, logged me in to the right place on Fedex.com, and told me what to do. The old Jackery is now, I pray, on its way home to San Diego.

jhmoore

Yesterday I also shipped a box of cold-weather items back home to San Diego--just because the 4Runner is so packed to the gills and I desperately need every little bit of space that I can make. So I shipped a down comforter, a fleece blanket, a fleece jacket, and a few other items home. So what'd it do last night?... it slowed/sleeted/I don't know what the hell it was other than tiny white balls that stuck to everything on me. Me in my shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. The table that I left outside last night was completely coated with ice this morning. Too funny. But hot hot hot weather coming.

OllieChristopher

Glad you got you Jackery issue worked out John. As far as the weather, I remember from Billings Montana to Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons was the strangest weather I have ever run across. Snowing in June frozen lakes and cloud patterns that do a huge circle from blazing hot to freezing in a matter of hours.

This is an adventure of a lifetime for you. you are also going to places I have always wanted to go but did not choose what on my western states tour. Good on you. At least you have some hard sided shelter you can crawl into. In 2009 I was on my bike and either slept in my tent or got a hotel.

smlobx

Wanderer
Car wont do much help if they really want in but yes, I too am curious how they captured this shot so close. Remote camera or trail cam?

6 of us including the bush pilot flew onto the beach at Katmai which is actually state land and therefore legal to fly into. We walked as a group with no guns or any other protection…..just us and the bears.
‘They have never been hunted and are not afraid of humans and we’re actively engaged in eating sedge grasses, mating and waiting for the salmon runs to begin. We were just another creature in the field.

It was an amazing experience! The picture was not altered, the bear was about 6 or 7 feet from us …

jhmoore

Quick update from southern Utah, after about 10 days in Montana... I expect to be headed home this weekend... a week earlier than planned, but it's supposed to be +/- 100 degrees pretty much everywhere next week and I don't feel like dying from heat stroke in my little screened gazebo (which holds heat). It's been an interesting trip and I've been doing a lot of thinking about the whole Working from Not Home thing... going back and forth between "sell all the WFNH gear because this sucks" and "this is great, let's do more!" Will come back here once home and post some thoughts and experiences. Hope you all are enjoying your adventures!

zb39

Adventurer
It seems like the biggest problem is being comfortable in whatever the weather throws at you. Maybe an RV would be a consideration. My wife and I had the same issue 28 years ago when our first child showed up. New borns and tents are tough on a 3k mile trip out west. We have had 11 RV's and taken both kids to 49 states, yes we drove to Alaska. Both kids are adults but still travel with us when they can. Wife and I have 2 RV's now. 1 big and 1 small. Just a thought. If your not comfortable you won't go.IMG_4277.jpgIMG_1517.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior