Why does no one use a high truck shell?

Jeffrey68

This is mine. But I made it myself. Thus the little mistakes. I will be making another version this year. And it will also be a high shell. Just not as high. There are pros and cons to both styles. But being in a short shell would just feel a bit too cramped for me.

96367bd27d634a27cf37ffc3baa8b387.jpg

Sent from my Armor_7 using Tapatalk

Speedphreak

I love my topper. Got it from Craigslist and had a choice; I could get the flat top w/windows all the way around, or the extended top w/no windows. Both had the rear barn doors, both had a rack on the top. I really wanted windows but am so glad I went with the higher roof one. I like the looks of it, the extra headroom is a game changer, and I can always add windows to it.
IMG_20200729_120838.jpg

Last edited:

tyler.96

Observer
Former? What happened to the guy? Cool 2nd Gen, it's a shame he doesn't post anymore, would have been good to see where this build went from here.

The younger crowd definitely doesn't care for toppers as it is let alone the high top models that remind them of their grandfathers truck haha. I wasn't a huge fan of the aesthetics of campers in general until I finally owned one myself and fell in love with the functionality of it. I'd prefer to go with a metal commercial topper but the one I like the best (RSI Smart Cap) doesn't offer them for 8ft long beds. RLD Designs has them but they look kind of awful on the long bed and it's throwing me off. IMHO Snugtop makes the best glass shell but I am leaning towards an ARE CX HD with the internal frame in order to gain more roof top payload capacity and durability. I am torn between t-handle metal doors instead of windoors simply from a security stand point but it's hard to argue against the ability to get a cross wind breeze through actual windows. The 8ft beds are really kind of short changed here in this arena as there aren't as many options for them out there.

He's still here, he just isn't as active on the forum anymore.
A few years ago, I picked up an Aluminum shell for my f150 for a steal. While it was still just normal height, it was so dang functional. Wing window on one side, and storage on the other side. Since it was my daily, I couldn't get a high top shell, because I wouldn't fit in parking garages down town. I liked my t-handle doors, but sometimes wish i had the full height rear door that replaces the tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_201329 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190604_201329 (1).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 45

Explorerinil

Observer
I love my topper. Got it from Craigslist and had a choice; I could get the flat top w/windows all the way around, or the extended top w/no windows. Both had the rear barn doors, both had a rack on the top. I really wanted windows but am so glad I went with the higher roof one. I like the looks of it, the extra headroom is a game changer, and I can always add windows to it.
View attachment 665644
Nice set up btw! Love your truck!

For the type of traveling I do, it’s a high rise canopy all day long.

I bought a Leer 122 for the Chevy. Quite a step down in quality compared to the cab-hi Snugtop I had on the Dodge, but being able to sit up on a cot without banging my head…priceless. If Callen was still in business I’d be buying one of their 44” tall (above the bed rails) short cabover models…heavy but Baja proof. I’m tired of climbing up on the tailgate (you young guys will get here someday ?) so double doors a must. I’ve looked at the Caravan models out of Reno…a real possibility.

wheelsee

Mission drives equipment. I chose a “mid” and thoroughly enjoy. For me, it’s not the height that limits me in parking garages but the length. A 6.5 bed is just a little too long to make the turn going up. I do have to watch my height, anything less than 8’ is a no-go (my own safety margin).

I did go with “gull-wings” for the side windows. Makes reaching to the front MUCH easier. I use black curtains to prevent peeping peeps.

387270F9-79CB-4689-ADBF-EC82B7128A3C.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Mission drives equipment. I chose a “mid” and thoroughly enjoy. For me, it’s not the height that limits me in parking garages but the length. A 6.5 bed is just a little too long to make the turn going up. I do have to watch my height, anything less than 8’ is a no-go (my own safety margin).

I did go with “gull-wings” for the side windows. Makes reaching to the front MUCH easier. I use black curtains to prevent peeping peeps.

View attachment 666862
I can't tell for sure. Is that Stone Grey?

dbhost

I have an old F250 that I want to convert to an overland rig. I am considering one of the high rise camper shells, like the Leer 122 or the ARE TW. I see almost no one using those taller shells. Why is that?

Check Youtube. The overwhelming majority of camper shell camper based overlanding builds I see are with hi top truck toppers, a few with tall contractor toppers.

FWIW, those complaining about a truck with a hi topper not fitting in parking garages. I have an '04 F150 with a 2.5" lift, fender trim and 35x12.50/17s, and my truck itself is too tall for many parking garages. Avoid urban areas like the plague they can be and you will be fine.

A 3/4 Ton, especially with an 8' truck bed, is a great platform to start your build from for sure! Even then, you are going to likely want under bunk storage for things like a portable toilet, which would put your bed close to truck bed rail high. Unless you want your camper ceiling in your face when laying down, you need a hi top.

dbhost

I posted this in another thread not too long ago. This one works well for me as it is just me and my dog traveling. Don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I bought it used on CL and got a great deal on it. Had been looking for a while but 6'6" bed models are hard to find and they are usually pretty pricey. This one was already insulated and has 1/4" cedar lining.

I'll be installing a roof fan and doing a full interior buildout. I am debating about building a custom flatbed with side boxes and setting this on top or just staying with the factory bed. The flatbed would give me a lot more storage.

I would like to also install a full cab height pass through. Actually, a walk through so I can get from the driver's seat to the back without exiting the truck.

View attachment 663863View attachment 663864View attachment 663865

Something like this is what I myself am looking for, but maybe add another 6" to the height, for my F150 build. I plan on using a Safari rack with a fairing to carry extra soft / light cargo, and deflect the wind over the truck topper and keep it from destroying what mileage I get.

The idea would be a good strong double door hi topper, that can have the left door and frame reinforced to hang a 5K BTU window unit AC on it. Insulate it, and build out a short Queen platform bed. The rest of the gear would slide under the bed, or go on the safari rack...

IF I have to go to the extent of building my own to get what I want, I will design / build in an overcab with a front angle to match the windshield, again, airflow... that way I would be able to have lockable, enclosed, dry storage for things like extra clothes etc...

I am a bit more concerned weight wise though as my truck is only a half ton, so I need to be careful...

Oh and to the poster that put up this pic, thanks. Depending on where you are, you might want to paint that thing white to match the truck, and keep your heat gain to a minimum. Of course if you are up north never mind...

OllieChristopher

I came really close to getting a high topper but the wait times were outrageous (10 - 12 weeks) and nothing on the used market. I then made a spread sheet of the pros and cons of high top vs soft top.

The soft top won out just by sheer versatility for the functions I'm looking for. For the amount of camping and overloading I do a high top made no sense. I have to have a truck bed use for hauling bikes and stuff. A hitch carrier is a no go for me.

All that being said if I was to get a hard shell it would be a high top all the way. You have to ask yourself how often to you go through a drive through car wash or parking structure? Being able to sit up on a cot or on your wheel well to dress or just relax is a big plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94