Warning re Jackery product quality/design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadmt

ignore button user
I can think of very few things that I own that have plug in or have an off on switch that if I dropped from say waist height would not have a high chance of breaking including my dewalt power tools and they are pretty tough. Not sure if I kicked them as they were on their way to the ground how that would lessen the chance of them working or not. things I have dropped and broke include phones, flashlights,I even broke an entire dozen eggs once from a short drop, that really sucked because I like eggs. looking at all my gear and household products I just don't see a lot that I know would 100% survive even a short drop. My ARB has been everywhere on all kinds of trails at all kinds of speeds and has survived but it is lashed down. I know if I dropped it from waist high I would not expect it to keep working altho maybe it would. I have not heard back from Jackery on any blem discounts so probably going to have to bite the bullet and just buy one when they have a normal sale.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I have an older lead acid battery Goal Zero. The battery finally died last year and I was able to take the top off and access the battery. For around $100 I was able to buy a new battery and install it. Looking at photos of the Jackery it looks like the side comes off for battery access. While waiting around for the new one, I'd take the old one apart to see what it looked like. As has been said, it could be that something got knocked loose. Of course identifying loose wires is about the extent of my electrical trouble shooting skills. Even if I were able to get into the electronics of my Yeti, I don't know if I'd be able to identify anything other than a cracked board.

Also, the lithium battery packs must be a lot lighter than my lead acid one. There's no way I'd let mine land on my foot. :)

s.e.charles

second contractor i worked for (circa 1972) taught me to jump away if i dropped something. prior employee set down a Rockwell 4" belt sander before the belt completely stopped. the sander made an escape from the workbench and the guy tried to stop it. broke bones on the top of his foot. and because the sander was from the iron era of power tools, its case was cast somethingorother and shattered anyway. i now jump, although not as fast, high, or far, as i used to do!

jhmoore

This thread went from a Jackery dilemma to bashing to rating every fridge ever made.

@jhmoore has the replacement pack arrived?

Ha--so true!

No and yes... it was delayed twice by FedEx, but I did get a text a short while ago that it has arrived down in Jackson. Now I just need to actually get down to Jackson and hopefully have that be true and have no issues getting it from the FedEx store. I've never shipped to a FedEx store (instead of my house) before. So... keep your fingers crossed for me!

jhmoore

second contractor i worked for (circa 1972) taught me to jump away if i dropped something. prior employee set down a Rockwell 4" belt sander before the belt completely stopped. the sander made an escape from the workbench and the guy tried to stop it. broke bones on the top of his foot. and because the sander was from the iron era of power tools, its case was cast somethingorother and shattered anyway. i now jump, although not as fast, high, or far, as i used to do!

I'm the son of a cabinet maker and home builder and would do the same for something like that! I think... Fortunately here my reflex was to try to break the fall. It just didn't work.

jhmoore

I can think of very few things that I own that have plug in or have an off on switch that if I dropped from say waist height would not have a high chance of breaking including my dewalt power tools and they are pretty tough. Not sure if I kicked them as they were on their way to the ground how that would lessen the chance of them working or not. things I have dropped and broke include phones, flashlights,I even broke an entire dozen eggs once from a short drop, that really sucked because I like eggs. looking at all my gear and household products I just don't see a lot that I know would 100% survive even a short drop. My ARB has been everywhere on all kinds of trails at all kinds of speeds and has survived but it is lashed down. I know if I dropped it from waist high I would not expect it to keep working altho maybe it would. I have not heard back from Jackery on any blem discounts so probably going to have to bite the bullet and just buy one when they have a normal sale.

Sure, so... if it's a $50 item you say "my bad" and buy a new one...
If it's a $500 item and smashed all to hell, you say "my bad" and buy a new one...
If it's a $500 item with zero visible damage, don't you want the opportunity to pay someone to fix it???

jadmt

ignore button user
Sure, so... if it's a $50 item you say "my bad" and buy a new one...
If it's a $500 item and smashed all to hell, you say "my bad" and buy a new one...
If it's a $500 item with zero visible damage, don't you want the opportunity to pay someone to fix it???
I guess if they told me they don't fix them and offered me a deep discount on another unit I think I would okay with that. For sure the minute they told me they don't repair them I would have opened that sucker up. You never did say what they sold the new one to you for. Let me ask you this, would you have been happier if they would have told you to send the old one back and charged you postage both ways and the price of the repair was equal to or more than what you got the replacement one for?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . .
You still can 'pay someone to fix it'.
- You still have the item.
- You still can pay to have it fixed.
- Jackery says they don't provide that service.
- So, it's on you to find someone else to fix it.
If it was mine I would have opened it up to see if there was anything obvious. But maybe that's my engineering curiosity.

It doesn't surprise me that Jackery won't do repairs. They probably don't have the manpower with the right skills.
I ran into a lot of these companies when I was working. A warehouse with a small front office, a couple of techs to do incoming QA inspections.
- They hire a design firm to design the product.
- They contract with a Chinese manufacturing firm to build it.
- They hire another company to make sure the Chinese built it to spec.
- They hire another company to handle returns.
Most of their employees are in marketing and shipping & receiving.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
charged you postage both ways and the price of the repair was equal to or more than what you got the replacement one for?
Dont forget 3 weeks turn around time !
But since you say it bears no visible damage, Why not try return under warranty ?
Btw,
Its almost comical to read some people dont seem to understand value of ’kicking’ an object just before it hits the ground.
They must be a sports fan or its a ’Murica thing.

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

the manufacturer is not responsibly for your stupidity.

Enough! I recommend the moderator removes all of you permanently from Expedition Portal who are trolling and and making childish posts. I'm blown away at all the useless posts someone has to sift through on each thread. It was not like this 15 years ago when I was lurking and enjoying members informative threads.

Lately it's been all about arguing and cyberbullying other members behind the keyboard. You have all been warned politely by myself and a moderator and yet continue.

Ryan I must please ask you to refrain from trolling. Your posts have no value or positive input and is not in accordance with the intended nature of our online community. If you have a need to argue or troll then please feel free to PM me. Otherwise I will respectfully ask you to let "dead dogs lie"

None of the banter directly above my post is in the spirit of Expedition Portal. Please act gentlemanly to one another. Thanks DJ

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Enough! I recommend the moderator removes all of you permanently from Expedition Portal who are trolling and and making childish posts. I'm blown away at all the useless posts someone has to sift through on each thread. It was not like this 15 years ago when I was lurking and enjoying members informative threads.

Lately it's been all about arguing and cyberbullying other members behind the keyboard. You have all been warned politely by myself and a moderator and yet continue.

Ollie - you are the problem, you are the troll, moderate yourself!

You know nothing on the topics you speak. On just the last page your spreading fallacies about the durability of lithium battery packs and travel fridges like ARB and Engel, it's a joke if readers do 180 degrees of the direction you point them they will be better off! "Buy a cheap fridge as the good ones only last up to 5 years o_O"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94