7" Round LEDs?

NorthCounty

Anyone done a LED headlight swap on a Gen 1? If so, any recommendations? Hundreds of options and suspect quality is all over the map. Any help, experience or direction would be helpful.

The_Jayhawker

Observer
Mine came with it when I bought it. It's still under construction so I can't report if they're worth a darn or not. If not, I'll replace them with glass H4s pretty quickly.
6ff8a67dab11e3ea88cdd3a0e6fb10db.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I like the Truck-Lites. I have the 27275C on my Samurai - I like it because it is a less 'modern' appearance than a lot of LED headlights so blends in better on my 1987 Suzuki.

96511952_10158182381703340_1273437565378101248_n.jpg

Reactions: plh

NorthCounty

Thanks all. It's rolling dice. Went ahead and ordered these from the Amazon. We will see.

plh

Explorer
Thanks all. It's rolling dice. Went ahead and ordered these from the Amazon. We will see.

Please report back after you receive and install. That price is comparable to Hella E-codes and a set of good bulbs - maybe less!

ARDOR

Another consideration to keep in mind is the fact that many LED headlamps don't heat up enough to melt snow and ice if you're in a winter environment. I know many of the JW Speaker units have the option of integrated heater elements to mitigate the issue.

Reactions: plh

NorthCounty

Wanted to follow up. Just actually got around to putting the LEDs on the '91. When attempting to use the OEM harness and 3 prong on back of aftermarket LED housing, we ran into a negative polarity issue with the OEM harness. Volt meter would read 12V then when on low beam and high beam would read -12V. Guess this is a common issue yet one that I had not encountered. Did a little research on the WWW and found a simple and clean solution - polarity converter. Super happy with install, looks and light output. We will see about longevity 20211210_212839.jpg20211210_212828.jpg20211210_212813.jpgScreenshot_20211210-214107_Samsung Internet.jpg20211210_212839.jpg/ durability.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’m always hesitant to mess with installing new electronics on my headlights…..I’m worried that things like the polarity converter you installed would crap out on me at the worst possible time. Maybe I’m old school but I don’t trust this stuff yet on the aftermarket. No problem for secondary lighting, but not for my primary driving lights no matter how much better they perform. Do one thing though…..when you are testing your install, have a friend drive your vehicle and you drive theirs, and do a road test where you drive past each other so you can see what your headlights look like to someone else head on, because they might look great to you but be blinding other drivers. I feel like I see this more and more lately. Factory lighting should not blind oncoming drivers.

CharlieNorth

I would love to learn from people with experience in really good old school high end lighting, just how far down the road these actually illuminate. Yes the nice white color is good, but I do not find the retrofit bulbs to focus properly and the pre assembled lamps to have quality beam pattern and illuminate more than a few hundred feet. I have driving lights that illuminate a half mile and spot beams that reach further than that.

Seems these new lights are designed to look cool, not to allow you to see far-far away.

NorthCounty

We live in rural area so the proper headlight adjustment is important. We tested / adjusted beam so it is illuminating and the correct angle, not shining in folks eyes. Super frustrating and dangerous for other when folks add aftermarket lighting and fail to check beam angle.

As far as light output, the low beam setting has considerably cleaner light output than a standard halogen H4 bulb. I would estimate 3-4 times the visibility in depth on roadway (again with the beam projected down toward the roadway-properly adjusted) and adds width with some slight illumination of the shoulder / side. This was nonexistent with a standard halogen H4. High beams are ridiculously bright and throw the same clean light way way down the road. Really nice.

My son has been driving the Montero with the new 7" LEDs both morning (dark) and night and I asked him yesterday if any passing cars have flashed him. He reported that no one has flashed him since having these lights installed. Like I mentioned before, properly adjusted.

Durability I agree. A convertor that appears to be decent quality but only time wilk tell. I suspect if one or both fail, ot would only fail to convert the negative polarity to positive. Therefore only the high beams would fail. Should for some reason the convertor fail or the 7" LED light in whole, cube lights would be used. I went through all of this with my son - if for some reason you have total headlight failure, move your cube lights beam down toward the road (properly adjust beam) and we will fix at home. Honestly the quality of the 7" LEDs seems top notch and polarity convertor seems decent quality as well. Factory harness to convertor to LEDs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94