GMC Savanna/ Chevy Express Swivel Seat

Charles_Alarie

Greetings All

I am knee deep in my conversion build on a 2017 GMC Savanna and am very interested in installing a swivel base on the passenger seat. Anybody have experience installing one on a Savanna or Express? How did you deal with the Airbag wiring?

Thanks very much!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Teacher88

I have not put one in my savana yet but I believe people remove the wires from the plug, feed the wires through the center of the swivel, then reinstall the wires into the plug. Seems like most of the swivels will move your seat height up a few inches and many people modify the seat bracket to lower it back down to factory height. Because of this I just plan on just making my own swivel out of my old front wheel hub I saved.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Hit your local Pull A Part yard.

Typically there are a number of conversion vans with swivel seats/bases in them that can be purchased for CHEAP!

Yes you may have to modify for your application however this option can save you a lot of time and fabrication effort by starting with an already working swivel.

That's what I did!

Last edited:

Joe A.

Check out Amazing Auto LLC. I just installed the swivel on the passenger side of my 2014 GMC Savana. Had to shorten couple of bolts that were catching the side rail, but that's it. It's solid. It does raise the seat about 1 1/2". Will be ordering another one for the driver side next.

Charles_Alarie

Check out Amazing Auto LLC. I just installed the swivel on the passenger side of my 2014 GMC Savana. Had to shorten couple of bolts that were catching the side rail, but that's it. It's solid. It does raise the seat about 1 1/2". Will be ordering another one for the driver side next.
I looked at those. I think they sell on eBay as well. It is a compelling option. Did you have to modify the Airbag wire to install the swivel?

Texas Aggie

Observer
I just installed a set of the Amazing Auto swivels in my van. I don't have an airbag wire (my 2005 has a switch on the dash for the passenger air bag), but I did add seat heaters. The seat heater wires were easily fed through the large hole around the pivot point. More details here: My seat, swivel and heater install post The pictures on the Amazing Auto website show how much of the slider base bolts need to be cutoff (basically just the non-threaded portion). For the passenger side, I was replacing the seats at the same time, so I had to separate the sliders from the seats, which complicated things a bit. For the driver's side I removed the seats with the sliders intact and used a cutoff wheel to shorten the bolts. My seats don't have the plastic trim on the side so I didn't have to cut those.

I ordered the passenger side on a Monday afternoon and it was delivered that Friday evening. After testing it out, I ordered the driver side a couple of weeks later on a Monday evening and received it on Saturday morning. For $234 shipped, it seemed like the best option and in my limited time since installation I'm happy with them.

Big Red Van

I have this same question. Can I put swivel on my 2012 Savanna passenger seat without losing the airbag? Other posts didn‘t seem to answer it.

socceronly

I have heard of the mystical dual swivel seat express.... but it seems pictures of it are more elusive than the inside of Area 51.

If you have a 4x4 conversion they apparently make a removable thingy majiggy to allow the driver seat to swivel.

Big Red Van

Thanks for the reply. I am really looking to just swivel the passenger seat on a 1500 2WD Savanna. I understand that adding a swivel means disabling the passenger seat airbag. Perhaps that is not true?

Thanks for the reply. I am really looking to just swivel the passenger seat on a 1500 2WD Savanna. I understand that adding a swivel means disabling the passenger seat airbag. Perhaps that is not true?

I added swivels to both my passenger and drivers seats on my 17 Express. I carefully extended all the wiring for the seats which have airbags in the seats themselves, to allow for the rotation. I have no service airbag lights on which means all should be functioning as designed.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 55

Charles_Alarie

I added swivels to both my passenger and drivers seats on my 17 Express. I carefully extended all the wiring for the seats which have airbags in the seats themselves, to allow for the rotation. I have no service airbag lights on which means all should be functioning as designed.
Which swivel bases did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles