LS1 Swap Stories

Lovetheworld

It'll fit.

Yes of course, but I was talking about the Toyota engines. As to not go full blasphemy with the truck :p

But yeah, probably the LS is most practical. Here in Europe we don't have much experience with that.
Our experience is mostly the 1HD-FTE diesel engine lasting forever.

beef tits

Toyota's 5.7/4.7 are better motors than the LS.

There are lots of swaps out there in other vehicles where the LS has to come back out right away due to various issues, most I have seen involve no oil pressure on startup. I have 2 personal friends this happened to. Low mileage donors too, under 100k. Chevy makes junk, they always have.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, the LS is powerful and cheap. I'm saying there is a reason they are cheap.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Yes of course, but I was talking about the Toyota engines. As to not go full blasphemy with the truck :p

But yeah, probably the LS is most practical. Here in Europe we don't have much experience with that.
Our experience is mostly the 1HD-FTE diesel engine lasting forever.

My fault, I misread your post. I thought you said the LS wouldn't fit. I think you are kinda right. the 5.7 is a big sucker.

As for Toyota diesels, I wish we had more of them available here. I have a buddy who has done that swap multiple times in many Cruisers but it isn't cheap or easy to come by here.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Toyota's 5.7/4.7 are better motors than the LS.

There are lots of swaps out there in other vehicles where the LS has to come back out right away due to various issues, most I have seen involve no oil pressure on startup. I have 2 personal friends this happened to. Low mileage donors too, under 100k. Chevy makes junk, they always have.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, the LS is powerful and cheap. I'm saying there is a reason they are cheap.

haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

The reason is they have made millions of them and they are inexpensive to manufacture. They have fewer parts and are not nearly as complicated.

Pull apart a Yota 4.7 and then pull apart a LS... See for yourself.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yea, thanks, I'm asking about real world experience with a very specific engine in a Landcruiser 80 series. Peoples negative opinions just don't hold any water unless they have done the swap and are unhappy with it. The chevy 350 swap into Landcruisers has been happening since the late 60s early 70s for the "rock crawler" and "4wheeling" crowd with great success. The Aussies seem to be pleased with the LS as well. My concern is about how well that engine will do with "overlanding" in North America. This last trip out west we traversed a bit over 7,000 miles with a little over 520 miles, (taking 58 hours) on mild to very technical terrain, camping along the way. The 80 didn't even hiccup the entire trip. However, getting up and over the passes on the highways was a very real strain. Just drop into 1st gear and maintain 3,000 rpms to get up. I know for certain had I been pulling a heavier trailer I would have had to drop into low range. Anyway, I ramble, back to the original question.

Honestly, you need to ask on a different forum...lol. This place is a wealth of knowledge...but only if your questions appease the Toyota loyalists. Asking about an LS swap into a Toyota on here is sacrilege... And offends the fan boys...Haha.

To your question... An LS motor will be just fine in N. America. They are reliable and you can get parts in a small town on a Sunday afternoon. It will use less fuel and make more power than you currently have and it's muuuch easier to modify if you want more low end TQ or HP.

I've run 3 LS swapped vehicles over the years and each one did everything better than the motor they replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

beef tits

The reason is they have made millions of them and they are inexpensive to manufacture. They have fewer parts and are not nearly as complicated.

Pull apart a Yota 4.7 and then pull apart a LS... See for yourself.

LOL I've never had a reason to pull a 4.7 or 5.7 apart, thus my point...

Lovetheworld

My fault, I misread your post. I thought you said the LS wouldn't fit. I think you are kinda right. the 5.7 is a big sucker.

As for Toyota diesels, I wish we had more of them available here. I have a buddy who has done that swap multiple times in many Cruisers but it isn't cheap or easy to come by here.

Well, here in Europe they are also expensive. Huge prices, especially for a complete drivetrain.
A friend bought a dodgy and wrecked vehicle from the UK (we are in Netherlands) with all the lockers.
He sold the axles and some other parts for slightly more than the price of the car and was left with a nice 1HD-FTE with transmission.
But it is hard to get lucky like that.

Also the 80 series Landcruisers with the engine still in them with "low" mileage are getting very very expensive.
Or they are much cheaper and they have at least 300.000 miles on them but a lot of times more.

What is the price these days for a low mileage FZJ80 in the US?

D

Deleted member 9101

LOL I've never had a reason to pull a 4.7 or 5.7 apart, thus my point...

Then you've never owned a 4.7 for 90k or more...they need the timing belt done.

Also, the only reason I've pulled apart an LS is to build it for more power...something that's cost prohibitive on any Toyota V8. I can buy an entire running LS for the cost of a "Cam Swap" on 4.7 or 5.7 and it will make far more power in the long run.

Lovetheworld

Right now... The prices are beyond obnoxious.

What are obnoxious prices?

I was thinking they are probably a good buy. They are quite rare here, as most is diesel.
But sometimes a low mileage one pops up. Would be fun to have for some holiday trips.
I don't want it or need it for daily driving. And it would be a good investment.
But they already have a high price, not the normal price for a 90ties car.
From what I have seen at least 10000 Euro but typically more.
A low mileage 1HD diesel is very rare but if found they sometimes ask 30000 Euro for it.
Asking is not the same as getting it, but I think the prices make some kind of sense, seeing the rarity of a nice one.

tacollie

Glamper
What are obnoxious prices?

I was thinking they are probably a good buy. They are quite rare here, as most is diesel.
But sometimes a low mileage one pops up. Would be fun to have for some holiday trips.
I don't want it or need it for daily driving. And it would be a good investment.
But they already have a high price, not the normal price for a 90ties car.
From what I have seen at least 10000 Euro but typically more.
A low mileage 1HD diesel is very rare but if found they sometimes ask 30000 Euro for it.
Asking is not the same as getting it, but I think the prices make some kind of sense, seeing the rarity of a nice one.
$30,000usd or more for anything in good shape and under 150,000 miles. $20,000 will get you a solid one under 250,000. $10,000 will get you something that needs work. A 100 series is a better value. These are all gas engines. We are shopping for a wagon and an 80 isn't on the list so to the prices.

Lovetheworld

$30,000usd or more for anything in good shape and under 150,000 miles. $20,000 will get you a solid one under 250,000. $10,000 will get you something that needs work. A 100 series is a better value. These are all gas engines. We are shopping for a wagon and an 80 isn't on the list so to the prices.

Ok great info. And yes I agree.
But it is already becoming the next classic Landcruiser.
I think it will be mainly 40 series, 80 series and FJ cruiser as the most expensive ones in future. Even though 60 and 70 series are maintaining there value well of course, and so does a good 100.
Anyway, as is usually the case with a classic car, there are better options available, typically more modern, for less money.
Which is also the point I wanted to make.

If you see the FZJ80 as a future classic or whatever you want to call it, you may want to sell it and buy a more suitable truck.
Of course this doesn't apply to less valued high mileage 80s. I chatted with the owner of a beach bar recently about his 80 (diesel). Spends half of its days on the beach, has over half a million kilometers on it, rough as hell. Lousy maintenance as well. But yeah, what can you do, it keeps running. :p And in all that time it probably still increased in value, which is odd.

beef tits

Then you've never owned a 4.7 for 90k or more...they need the timing belt done.

Also, the only reason I've pulled apart an LS is to build it for more power...something that's cost prohibitive on any Toyota V8. I can buy an entire running LS for the cost of a "Cam Swap" on 4.7 or 5.7 and it will make far more power in the long run.

I've done at least 4 belts on a 4.7. That's not "opening the engine" that is regular maintenance.

onemanarmy

Explorer
I've done at least 4 belts on a 4.7. That's not "opening the engine" that is regular maintenance.

Its MUCH farther into the engine than you need to go on an LS.

Keep the fluids changed and spark plugs new and watch an LS go 300-400k miles.....sure the body and trans may crap out before then, but not the engine.

They both have their plusses....but the LS wins for cost, durability, and reliability all factored together, which most consumers care about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles