CJ-6 "Rat Bastard"

dibsen

Adventurer
Hey everybody!
It's been a long time and there have been thousands of miles and lots of adventures. Hopefully someday I will put an effort into jotting them all down and maybe tracing some picture to help with my crappy writing. A few weeks ago I came across a pair of CJ-6 and thought it would make a great project for my son and I. I would like to do some level of restoration but at this point I am still working on getting it to run. So far we have stuck to 1hr a night, him and I either cleaning or removing parts, organizing the work space (need to do more of this), or ordering new parts. I will do my best to try to capture the process but I plan on building this over the next 3 years.

tempImageYKylZD.jpg

Cheers!
-Dave

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
CJ6 or M170 ambulance that has been civilianized? Your passenger side looks like it has had some modifications done to it. Need more pictures and details. Very nice find.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Subscribed! I'm looking forward to following along with your build. I have a 1957/1970 cj5, but I'd love to extend it to cj6 length someday. I feel like the cj6 is the perfect length and wheelbase for jeep adventures, while still being super maneuverable.

Good luck with your project, and dont forget to post on the earlycj5 site too!

billiebob

Love the CJ6, would make a great little camper.
They must have been vocational vehicles in their day. I'm curious what the cut out and massive running boards were built for.
And they both have that overhead bar.

dibsen

Adventurer
Subscribed! I'm looking forward to following along with your build. I have a 1957/1970 cj5, but I'd love to extend it to cj6 length someday. I feel like the cj6 is the perfect length and wheelbase for jeep adventures, while still being super maneuverable.

Good luck with your project, and dont forget to post on the earlycj5 site too!
I have a spare frame and body if you are interested. I will likely post local but PM me.

dibsen

Adventurer
IMG_0176.jpg

It took a little while but I got the second 6 home. I think it could make a good platform for a build but I don't have the time and money to work 2 resto's. I am going to pull off the what I need and anything else I think is worth saving but the frame, body and axles will be looking for a new home here soon.

dibsen

Adventurer
I did pick up this HEI distributor from Southwest Performance. My other cj's seemed to have frequent coil problems some I thought I would try this in hopes of having a cleaner, more powerful spark. The wiring is kind of messy so I think I will try my best to tidy it up before I get this installed.

I did attempt to turn the motor over last night after I realized the ignition wires were totally wrong. However, the starter didn't seem to want to turn. The motor is not seized, I had it turning over last week.

HEI distrb.jpg

dibsen

Adventurer
Anyone know if these aircon nobs are stock?
c24265c3879bbededed310e951ff1b18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dibsen

Adventurer
So far, I’m not digging the HEI distributor. It’s big, it’s blocking one of the plugs, and I don’t like how it’s secured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94