ACELA 6X6 WITH SLRV EXPEDITION BOX NEW BUILD

tkj23qe1387

May I ask how does the cab-to-cabin access work with the torsion-free mount/chassis? How does the seal work between the camper body and the cockpit?

May I ask what is the overall height including rooftop things?
2nd spare is very wise; some areas (like all of South America for example) 395/85R20s of any flavor are nonexistent and could take many weeks to import and get through customs and delivered to a small remote place.
I assisted a Polish couple 2 summers ago that were driving a MAN/Unicat 4x4 with 16.00s. They had 2 bad tires near Kluane Lake (in Yukon about 150 miles from border). I located a good used one in Wasilla and got it to them. Then I organized getting 2 more new ones air freighted from Europe through customs. Had to actually photograph sidewall to prove country of origin.
They were suitably grateful and I was promoted to “unofficial Unicat rep in Alaska”.
I also had experience in Baja with shredded tire due to broken shock shaft. With only 1 spare had to turn around at 28N and found used XML in Tucson which blew out at 10mph in Saline Valley. Found 2 more used XZL in Edmonton and put on roof.
The value of a 2nd (unmounted if you have bolttogether wheels) spare is indescribable when you need it.

poohbearusvi

Overall height is 13’ 2”. Agreed on 2nd spare. When we drove through Namibia with a Defender and only one spare, the drive to the next service station when we got a flat taught me TWO SPARES at all times in remote places. Our rig is scheduled to arrive one week earlier than predicted which is good news. Now will arrive June 13th in LA. Have scheduled a wheel alignment as soon as it arrives off the ship.

DzlToy

Explorer
What is the limiting factour on the White Rim Trail, an overhanging rock? That part of the country is wide open, so I cannot imagine what other obstacle one would encounter there.

Would a high roof Sprinter (10' OAH) clear or do you need a pickup with a camper on the back to clear?

gregmchugh

Observer
What is the limiting factour on the White Rim Trail, an overhanging rock? That part of the country is wide open, so I cannot imagine what other obstacle one would encounter there.

Would a high roof Sprinter (10' OAH) clear or do you need a pickup with a camper on the back to clear?

Some info here on height and width limits. Length of rig might come into play on switchbacks I expect.

martinf

Overall height is 13’ 2”. Agreed on 2nd spare. When we drove through Namibia with a Defender and only one spare, the drive to the next service station when we got a flat taught me TWO SPARES at all times in remote places. Our rig is scheduled to arrive one week earlier than predicted which is good news. Now will arrive June 13th in LA. Have scheduled a wheel alignment as soon as it arrives off the ship.

did the truck arrive safely in LA last week?

poohbearusvi

It arrived in port yesterday. They are unloading the ship as I type this. We were hoping to get it Tuesday morning but might not be until Wednesday morning. The only good thing while we wait is the weather in Long Beach is 75 degrees versus 118 in Indio. In other good news, it’s all cleared and came in duty free!

Duty free?
You serendipitously avoided 2.5% on the camper, miraculously. Cost me ~US$6750. In Jacksonville after a full 4 days of screwing around in Customs office October 2006.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles