2002 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 w/ Sub Frame & Super Singles ($22.5k) (SOLD)

DesertDrifter

Observer
***********SOLD************

Hi all. Thanks for looking. Priced for a quick sale. Posted on social media yesterday and have a lot of interest, but wanted to offer it up to expo members as well.

2002 Fuso FG 4x4

Excellent candidate for proper expedition truck build. The savvy builder should be able to create a $90k+ expedition truck for around $45-50k if wisely budgeted. Many of the difficult/expensive items to source have been secured (sub-frame, super singles etc).
IMG_2301.JPG
The truck was being built for international expedition travel and the only reason for sale is that I found a camper that fits better on a different platform (Unimog).

The truck is overall mechanically sound to the best of my knowledge (hand selected for the build) but will need some attention in certain areas as it is still an in-progress project. For brevity I will spare the detail on the many benefits of the Fuso as an expedition platform but potential buyers can read extensively on expeditionportal.com.

As many buyers may know, many of Fuso trucks served as snow plows and have the resulting associated damage and problems with rust. This truck has no evidence of plow service and the previous owner attested to this (it had an aluminum flatbed when purchased). The truck appears to be a California vehicle and spent all of its recent history (last 2 owners) in the deserts of California.

Truck Details (to the best of my knowledge, buyer to perform any desired diligence)

Platform:
2002 Fuso FG 4x4
103k Miles (just broken in)
3.9L Turbo Diesel 4D34 Motor
5 Sp Manual Trans with granny low
Limited Slip Differentials
GVRW - Approx 14,500 - Plenty of payload for an expedition cabin

Expedition Camper Build:
A custom spring mounted subframe has been constructed referencing popular Australian designs.
http://canter4x4.com/technical/building-a-subframe-system-p1/
https://aav4x4.com.au/4x4-accessories-fuso-canter/

The subframe uses 6 points and 12 springs to accommodate roughly 2 inches of movement per mount and 4 inches of corner to corner articulation.

The sub frame is a rail on chassis style to improve weight distribution and rests on two plastic isolation blocks. The subframe is 90% complete but the buyer will need to have cross bars welded on to the top of the rails to match the width of their selected expedition cabin. This is simple work and should be a quick job with any experienced fabricator.
Similar style sub frames sell for $5,800 AUD ($4,500 USD) + $1,500 USD in shipping.

The truck would be a great fit for a Total Composites Expedition truck body though other campers could be used.

The current subframe could accommodate a 10-12ft body and with modification a 14-16ft body.

Exterior:
Paint is in the expected condition for a truck of this age. It could benefit from a thorough polishing and has a few rock chips that could be touched up if desired.

Wheels & Tires:
5 MRW super single wheels are included with the sale (MRW is out of business). From other manufactures these range from $3,500 - $4,500 per set shipped to the US.

The truck is on 37x12.50 R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs with 80%+ tread (4 included with sale)

Chassis & Suspension:
As with 90% of trucks at this age the frame has some surface rust. Most rust has been stripped and is ready for a coat of POR15 or other chassis paint. The frame has been inspected by an off road suspension & chassis fabricator who confirmed the surface rust represents no structural issues to the truck.

The truck’s suspension is stock with the addition of a steering stabilizer.

Interior:
The interior is in good condition but not excellent. The truck was used for work and has the associated wear and tear. If the buyer desires some scratched interior panels could be easily replaced with readily available used panels. These trucks are very common and seller can provide used parts suppliers.

Of note: The AC knob was broken off by the previous owner and needs to be replaced for the AC to be functional. This part is readily available used and should be a simple replacement.

The stock drivers seat has been replaced with a Corbeau Baja XRS suspension seat for increased comfort offroad. A second matching seat is included with the sale though mounting will need to be fabricated (retail pair - $1,750).

Motor & Trans:
The motor runs strong and appears to be in good working condition. However, it is currently displaying a caution light for the pre-stroke actuator in the diesel pump. The repair is relatively simple and involves a $500-600 rebuild of the Zexel pump which is a nice bit of insurance for the truck’s future use. A rebuilder has been identified to perform the repair and their contact will be included with the sale. Pricing of the truck reflects the need for this repair.

New Batteries - less than 6 months old.

Other Notes:
I’ve identified a complete double cab donor truck in the LA area in the case the buyer is interested in a double cab swap to go from 3-6 passengers. (Donor truck price is $2,000 and is not included in sale.)

Truck is currently registered in CA and title is in hand. I would recommends obtaining RV registration status for the truck to lower registration headache (easy process in CA) or registration in a Montana LLC.

Expedition upgrades total well over $14,000 bringing the effective price of the truck to around $8,500 which represents exceptional value with similar trucks in stock condition priced around $14-19k. I want the truck to go to a good home and be used and enjoyed. Priced for a quick sale and available to be seen in LA from May 13-17th. Truck is for sale in as is condition. Pls DM if interested.

Entertaining offers $22,500 USD and above.

Attachments

• IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 657
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 575
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 565
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 537
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 611
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 635
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 486
Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
That is quite the head start for someone with the super singles and subframe already completed. And certainly a good price with those items. I'd wish you good luck with your sale, but this will probably be sold within a week. (y)

Athansinis

Maybe a dumb question, but can this be driven legally as is? This is pretty much my dream rig and within my budget, but I'd need to get it up to Washington and it doesn't look like it has a bumper or rear plate.

And if it can be driven legally, is the pump rebuild something that needs to or should be taken care of before a 1000 mile drive?

DesertDrifter

Observer
Maybe a dumb question, but can this be driven legally as is? This is pretty much my dream rig and within my budget, but I'd need to get it up to Washington and it doesn't look like it has a bumper or rear plate.

And if it can be driven legally, is the pump rebuild something that needs to or should be taken care of before a 1000 mile drive?

Yes can be driven as is and has a rear plate and current reg. The prestroke code is a warning code which the service manual states is a driveable condition code. I've driven it 2.5 hrs no problem.

Athansinis

Yes can be driven as is and has a rear plate and current reg. The prestroke code is a warning code which the service manual states is a driveable condition code. I've driven it 2.5 hrs no problem.

Great, thanks!

Washington is about 22hrs in an 02 FG...I would definitely get that fixed first if I was going to make that drive.

This makes sense. Thank you.

This reminds me, I've never been able to find top speed for the '02 - '04 and the handy chart here doesn't have it listed. What is the top speed/recommended top cruising speed?

+1 on that Supervan. There is a shop here in LA that can rebuild the pump no problem.

Any idea what sort of lead time would be required for the shop that can rebuild it? Being in LA for an extra day or two would be doable, but not much more.

Thanks!

nyyankees588

Man, one those times when i wish I had more money laying around hahaha. As others have said, this is a great price and starting setup for somebody to snag.

Props to the seller for a the solid base and very fair price. I'm sure it will be gone quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Very Nice, clean and fairly priced! GLWS!

NOTE: regarding the RV registration in CA. I've done this, and its super easy if you have AAA. They have a checklist of things that are needed for it to qualify and you only need 3 of them

Curious... I have never seen a subframe like that, that wasnt hard fixed in either the front or the rear. Is this something done by the buyer?

With all the movement in mine (very similar to yours but fixed in the rear), I can't fathom it not being fixed at one end or the other while offroad and the jarring it will receive, especially fore and aft. Am i missing something?

Cheers

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This reminds me, I've never been able to find top speed for the '02 - '04 and the handy chart here doesn't have it listed. What is the top speed/recommended top cruising speed?
With super singles like this one has (I also had an '02 with 37s), 55mph is the happy relaxed cruising speed, which returns good gas mileage. 62 mph is doable, with 65 mph in general max. I've been to 70 mph downhill trying to pick up speed for the next hill, and it is 'uncomfortable' IMO. That of course is with a 'box' on the back, so in this truck's chassis-cab state, lighter and less drag, I bet you could add 5mph to those numbers. 37 inch super singles are by far the single best mod for the FGs. They drop the RPM down low enough that the cruising RPM is not at max, which drops the cab noise down enough for reasonable conversations.

Two suggestions for driving home. Have the seller line up a couple of plastic 55-gallon drums (about $15 each), that you can strap to the frame and fill with water so you do not lose fillings out of your teeth on the way home. Without any weight on the back, that would be one bumpy ride. And line up a 2x4 with a couple of mud flaps attached, that you can strap to the frame behind the rear tires. The (fill in the State) Highway Patrol would love to give a ticket for not having those.

Last edited:

Athansinis

With super singles like this one has (I also had an '02 with 37s), 55mph is the happy relaxed cruising speed, which returns good gas mileage. 62 mph is doable, with 65 mph in general max.

Thanks, this is what I was hoping for. I think I'd be pretty happy with 55 most of the time, but occasionally I'd want to push it a bit and would be good to have something that can do a bit more when needed.

Two suggestions for driving home.

Thanks for these great tips also, especially the makeshift mudflaps! I would have definitely either spaced that or way overthought it

DesertDrifter

Observer
Thanks, this is what I was hoping for. I think I'd be pretty happy with 55 most of the time, but occasionally I'd want to push it a bit and would be good to have something that can do a bit more when needed.

Thanks for these great tips also, especially the makeshift mudflaps! I would have definitely either spaced that or way overthought it

65 has been no problem from my experience cruising the truck on the freeway and could push it to 70 without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles