JKU Suspension dilemma

pkripper

Similar problem with mine. 2.5 Rock Krawler springs are just too soft when loaded down. Looking for other options but not really wanting to go the airbag route.

wandererr

Adventurer
Similar problem with mine. 2.5 Rock Krawler springs are just too soft when loaded down. Looking for other options but not really wanting to go the airbag route.
I originally looked at the RK springs but they're progressive. So that pointed me at TF and OME since they're both linear.... Except the 1.5" feel more like progressive then linear...

I almost wish that the JK rear was leafed ;)

pittsburgh

tacocat
I originally looked at the RK springs but they're progressive. So that pointed me at TF and OME since they're both linear.... Except the 1.5" feel more like progressive then linear...

I almost wish that the JK rear was leafed ;)

Honestly, my YJ was my favorite Jeep. BDS front 3" lift springs all four corners, rode great, handled great, was quiet, and flexed good enough. I miss that jeep lol.

I have OME on the TJU and its pretty good. I ll most likely swap out to the OME HD springs in the rear. Look forward to hearing what OP says about new OME springs.

wandererr

Adventurer
So - I'm getting to be pretty fast with swapping out rear springs!

Now to the nitty gritty - the OME's gave me about 3" with 10 gallons of water, 75lbs battery and my tools in the back. I wish I was at 2.5"!!!! I know it's only half an inch, but at 2.5" I was sitting taller then I wanted. In any case, they are the best of the three (2.5" Outback TF which gave me about 4" and some change, 1.5" TF which at the end of my camping trip with small load gave me negative lift on one side).

Now
1. I'll see if they'll settle (I hope that they will settle a bit)
2. If they don't settle, I'll have to make some decisions as to what to do:
2.a. Lift front a bit?
2.b. Get new CA's ?
2.c. Deal with driveshaft interference?

I drove it around the block and it felt heavenly in the rear :D I just wish it was lower.... Maybe I do need to get the swing out tire carrier after all so that it adds a bit more weight. Also I might mount the rotopax fuel canister permanently so that I have more weight hanging off the rear.....

choices choices choices....

wandererr

Adventurer
Drove it around a bit today and I'm happy. Nice firm response from the jeep as I turn and at speed. Also the rear suspension dropped just below 3" as things settled. Looks like I'll have to do something about the front, but I'll wait and see if the rear settles any more. Since I'm happy with the front at the moment (ride and so on) if I do anything before UM pickup, I'll do another spacer.

wandererr

Adventurer
So after having the rear OME coils in place for a couple weeks now, it was the time to even out the front a bit. I did that by adding 1.75" spacers below the stock rubber spacer. Man what a PITA that was.... Had to drop the trackbar and driveshaft and then getting the trackbar back on... Ugh... I do have an adjustable one that i can install at some point but that's for another time.

Also put in the front 5100s and I have to say: whoever is the engineer that designed how you get to the top nut for the shocks should be tarred, feathered and flogged!

Anyways, everything is done and it drives nice. Oh yeah, turns out that my swaybar link upper nut was missing and the stud had the threads all flattened. For the time being I ran it through with a die and found a spare nut in my vast supply of jeep surplus parts.... Yeah I know - I need to get swaybar disconnects - that's coming ;) one of these days.

Last edited:

Shorthood

I had the same problems, I was running a heavy JKU spring on the back of my homemade pickup with a 1" spacer and airlift 1000 bags. With 5psi I was sitting at factory ride height.

Called Dirk was similar answers, he didn't know how tall the arb springs would sit with my weight (rear axle weighs around 2900lbs)

Searched the internet pretty hard and found Coil spring specialties (http://www.coilsprings.com/) I gave the the factory part number, the additional load I was carrying and the added height I wanted +700lbs and 1".

They showed up a month later, it they sit almost 1.5" taller than stock and the ride is slightly firmer than stock and haven't sagged any in 8 months. The only downside is they are larger diameter than the stock, it will be difficult to raise the panhard bar/roll centerPXL_20201028_204811004.jpg20201028_175244-COLLAGE.jpg

Shorthood

That's not a bad price

I was surprised also, wasn't sure what the springs would run. That's the main reason I called over submitting and order form.

They do reverse level springs for ram pickups, limos, handicap vans, stuff for hotrods. I guess they could do anything if you have the time and money for random spring rates and diameters

Shorthood

Fresh addition to my jk pickup. I was running an #18 front spring with a 1" and 1/2" spacer to get an actual 1/2" of lift (measured at the shock mounts)

Installed teraflex 1.5" JKU springs(1853052) with the stock rubber pad and I'm sitting at 1" over stock (19.5" shock measurement) weighing 2500lbs.

rear is still 1.5" over stock at 2910lbs

im a little ashamed to say my rig weighs 5410lbs with no spare, almost out of gas, basic farm tools and not much else

wandererr

Adventurer
That's interesting - I wonder if I had some defective springs though I did start at about same with the rear and then after 1 trip the rear pretty much nearly collapsed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94