Jeepagon 3.0

ThePartyWagon

SLC XJ owner here, hope to see this thing on the trails.

Thanks for the heat shield/vaporlock inspiration. My 2000 throws misfire codes constantly, definitely has heat soak issues. I'll get this thing running right one day...

Nice work!

wjeeper

SLC XJ owner here, hope to see this thing on the trails.

Thanks for the heat shield/vaporlock inspiration. My 2000 throws misfire codes constantly, definitely has heat soak issues. I'll get this thing running right one day...

Nice work!

Thanks! It's been a fun project.

What codes is it throwing? Let's get it out in the dirt!

ThePartyWagon

Thanks! It's been a fun project.

What codes is it throwing? Let's get it out in the dirt!

Mine constantly throws cylinder 1-10 misfire codes or single cylinder specific misfire codes. Usually a combination of them. It used to be specific to warm weather and hear soak but it’s a series of constant codes now.

I’ve replaced the cps sensor once and the original magnet inside the cap was destroyed, it ran better after replacing and adjusting but it’s still running rough. Going to replace plugs and probably another coil pack again.

From there, I just don’t know what to address.

It’s drivable as is but passing emissions each summer is chore due to heat soak. My registration is up at the end of July every year so driving it to the shop heats the fuel rail enough that it then misfires every time they start it up to test it.

I’m almost ready to pay someone to get it running right, if you know of anyone well versed in the valley?

wjeeper

I don't know any shops down in the valley. Too big of a cheapskate. I had a WJ with a 4.0 (same coil rail) that would do that! Turned out to be a combination of rust flakes coming off the fuel injector rail plugging injectors under load and loose intake/ exhaust bolts.

wjeeper

Tent material is installed!
20210323_161514-01.jpeg

Tons of ventilation for summer sleeping!
20210323_161836-01.jpeg
Still need to cut the fringes from the Mexican blanket headliner, was able to reuse the factory headliner under the poptop! Keeps the speakers and dome lights intact!

The gas struts are shot. I need beefier ones anyway to hold the rotopax/ highlight/ small storage box I am planning for the roof. No idea how to calculate which though.......

ThePartyWagon

I don't know any shops down in the valley. Too big of a cheapskate. I had a WJ with a 4.0 (same coil rail) that would do that! Turned out to be a combination of rust flakes coming off the fuel injector rail plugging injectors under load and loose intake/ exhaust bolts.

I'm generally untrusting of most shops, combined with being too cheap to pay someone else as well. I will check those injectors and the exhaust, my exhaust is due for a replacement either way.

Thanks for the advice!

wjeeper

Kiddo fell asleep on the way home from the sitters, so we went on a drive. He slept like a log even over the potholes and washboard!
20210326_172315-01.jpeg

Got in a bit of a fender bender;)
20210326_173430-01.jpeg

wjeeper

I like these pizza cutter tires. They dig through the slop and get traction nicely. I don't like the howl from the lightbar though!

wjeeper

Been super busy using the jeepagon 3.0 this last two months!

Just a few places it has taken us:

An abandoned mill.
IMG_20210426_195508_716.jpg

A ghost town.
IMG_20210501_215920_937.jpg

Long road to "nowhere".
IMG_20210505_203544_840.jpg

wjeeper

Abandoned hot spring. (Lil kiddo loves his jeep rides, cedar gnats bites not so much)
20210424_150810-02.jpeg
Lava tube bigger than my whole house!
20210429_144047-01.jpeg
Random cinder cone.
20210429_142900-01.jpeg

wjeeper

Jeepagon wheeled all day in 95 degree weather, not even a hint of vaporlock or heatsoak.

Bad pic but this is the analog temp gauge I added (my factory dash only has an idiot light) on a hot day after shutting off the motor you can watch the temperature rise 10-30 degrees! On a warm day I just hit the button on the right and the relay I added runs the fan for 3 minutes post shutdown cycle. Light flashes to let me know it's on.
20210506_134412.jpg

After a few weekends of wheeling I have a few tweaks and upgrades.....
Tweak 1:
20210425_111647.jpg
The lightbar still whistles! I have tried putting foam straps between the fins, put a piece of weatherstripping on the bottom fin to stop the wind blowing up and under (at freeway speeds it flaps badly!) Temporary solution: diaper!

Also the cheap bracket hits the drivers door.....gotta trim that.

Upgrade 2:
20210502_155302.jpg
The rear springs are toast. The passenger side has sagged 3+ inches more than the other side. The other spring is pretty flat as well. 195k miles they are probably due to be replaced anyway.

wjeeper

Now thats a bent spring if I have ever seen one!
20210510_184311-01.jpeg
Parts should be here today to out it back together, might take it out this weekend too.

wjeeper

Haven't noticed any wheel hop......
20210517_165451.jpg
......but the way the leaf is bent makes me wonder!

Ant Utah jeepers headed our this weekend? I haven't been in 4lo for a week and a half and its killing me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne