Need a new daily/ epxo rig, looking at sequoia/ gx470

Clrussell

Family is growing and although the truck has the room, I’m thinking something with third row will be more friendly.
We will be a family of 5 when my kids are with us, plus we like to take the dog when opportunity arises. My kids are 5&6 and we will have another in December.

very very little towing consideration in question as of now, either will handle that if it comes into play. Planning on 3” and 35s with re gear on either, sliders

I’m leaning toward the 1st gen sequoia, or the gx470. Obviously the gx is very capable, and quite honestly sexy when done right. Aldo after market support is higher as well.

the sequoia has more storage. also is bigger all around.

My thoughts are leave one of the third row seats, fridge and storage under the fridge, single drawer behind the remaining seat with platform above for storage of bags etc. roof tent on either with bigger kids sleeping in the rig with seats folded flat or/hammocks.

I don’t like the sequoia lift gate With a 270 awning, I like the ability to put a table on the door of the 470. I feel like the 470 will be “sportier”’

pouring a bourbon, awaiting feedback.

Thank you- Corbin

Clrussell

So I got to put my hands on a 470 last night and really liked what I saw.
Storage is very limited behind the third row. However enough for a couple small bags. With one seat removed from the third row there is plenty of room for a fridge on a drawer, or something such as a mini kitchen from quick pitch.
I didn’t have my tape measure to measure what I wanted but maybe I can take it by this weekend and measure again.

beef tits

Sequioa's / Tundras are not great off-road but you can fit a lot in them and the ride on pavement is pretty decent.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For 5 I'd def be looking at the Sequoia. Not as good off road but what is the priority, road trip comfort for a family of 5 or off road capability?

Where will the majority of the time be spent, off road or highway?

What kind of off road terrain are you going to be travelling on? Could a Sequoia handle it?

Clrussell

For 5 I'd def be looking at the Sequoia. Not as good off road but what is the priority, road trip comfort for a family of 5 or off road capability?

Where will the majority of the time be spent, off road or highway?

What kind of off road terrain are you going to be travelling on? Could a Sequoia handle it?

majority of use will be on road or light off-road. I’m not into hardcore wheeling anymore. I believe either will handle off-road situations I would put them in.

50% of the trips will be with only one kid and the other 50 with the other two. Both are smaller kids and can easily fit in the third row of the gx.

another reason for looking at the gx is simply its smaller and more nimble around town. I currently daily a crew cab gmc 2500 diesel on 35s and although I can park it anywhere, I do miss having a smaller more nimble rig sometimes. Not sure how much smaller the sequoia will end up being.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I’ve owned both ( currently have the gx) and can tell you the sequoia doesn’t feel that much different drive wise but inside feels waaaay bigger plus the third row seats are on sliders and adjustable. They will both get around 17 mpg even with a lift and some tires . The gx may work now but as the kids grow you will appreciate the extra room of the sequoia. But drive both with the wife and kids to see what they think .

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Family is growing and although the truck has the room, I’m thinking something with third row will be more friendly.
We will be a family of 5 when my kids are with us, plus we like to take the dog when opportunity arises. My kids are 5&6 and we will have another in December.

very very little towing consideration in question as of now, either will handle that if it comes into play. Planning on 3” and 35s with re gear on either, sliders

I’m leaning toward the 1st gen sequoia, or the gx470. Obviously the gx is very capable, and quite honestly sexy when done right. Aldo after market support is higher as well.

the sequoia has more storage. also is bigger all around.

My thoughts are leave one of the third row seats, fridge and storage under the fridge, single drawer behind the remaining seat with platform above for storage of bags etc. roof tent on either with bigger kids sleeping in the rig with seats folded flat or/hammocks.

I don’t like the sequoia lift gate With a 270 awning, I like the ability to put a table on the door of the 470. I feel like the 470 will be “sportier”’

pouring a bourbon, awaiting feedback.

Thank you- Corbin
I replaced a low mileage Cherry J80 with a 07 Sequoia because we had two kids and a local grandparent we saw daily and multiple times a week had 5 in the car. Not to burst your 470 bubble but the Sequoia is a superior hauler in every way except perceived status.
The deep rear cut 2nd row doors are amazing for reaching 3rd row kids that need help buckling in for example.
Off road even stock soccer mom Sequoias on decent tires are quite good. Only warning don’t go crazy on tire size the joints, and running gear don’t really like big rubber. The 4.7 needs premium fuel for under load use - around town I ran regular but road trips with highway speeds it required premium to avoid pre ignition also listed in the owners manual. 4.7 is a great engine but it needs revs to get the power. After 7 yrs I recently gave it to my dad mint condition 100,000 miles he needed a reliable vehicle. I have a 2019 Platinum heavy tow pack Expedition now. Its so dramatically different gobs of low rpm grunt almost never see 3000+ rpm so very different driver more relaxing etc.

The Sequoia in town kid hauling was 14-15mpg average road trips were 15-16mpg occasional 18mpg.

The J80 was 11-12mpg always lol. Good buddy with a 2 yr old fancy Lexus er Land Cruiser on BFGs averages 13mpg so yeah mileage hasn’t changed much in 25yrs with the Land Cruiser platform. The Sequoia mpg was a nice gain when I made that switch especially for our long trips where the LC range was actually a constant issue. “It sucked more than fuel lol”

For family and 5 plus a dog the Sequoia absolutely crushes the LC on practical use, seating design and even mileage. No comparison

My Expedition actually beat my Subaru on mileage and range last summer during a trip ?. Soo loving it. ??

Clrussell

Thanks for the input guys. I love hearing all the advice so keep it coming. You guys have me leaning further and further to a sequoia.

rcintx

Adventurer
Somewhat outside of your preferences but I just answered this same dilemma for my family with a Suburban. I wasn't even considering one until it was recommended to me, I drove one, and enjoyed it so much I brought it home. I picked up one with the Z71 package and from the limited time I have had with it, it seems extremely capable.
As another forum member appropriately called it, "Lazyboy on wheels", it is a pleasure to drive on a daily basis.

Out of your two options I would definitely lean Sequoia. I thin the GX will be cramped after the new wears off. Good luck!

beef tits

Earlier Sequoias feel much smaller than the later models. Later models have that 5.7 though. 4.7 is a great motor but the 5.7 beats the pants off of it, 400 lbs ft, 380 hp and no timing belt to deal with. Both will last forever. Both get terrible mileage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles