Cab Interchangeably

Hausenkraus

Hi all,

I am new to cab-over ownership. I have a new-to-me 1990 Mitsubishi FG 434 with a fairly solid frame, but the cab is a bit crusty as many are I’m sure. Finding a solid/clean cab from the same generation seems unlikely. I am wondering if anyone knows if other generation cabs can be mounted on the same frame and if so, which years are compatible. I realize some modifications would be necessary. I didn’t find anything using the search function, so I apologize if this topic has already been addressed before.

Thanks in advance.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I think it was about 2005 when the cab had a significant redesign (wider).
Prior to that I think the cabs had not changed much, other than some cosmetics around the lights maybe.
If you are looking at a FE cab (2WD) then there may be some issues fitting the 4x4 cables/linkages, but I am only guessing, as I don't know the nuances of the US models.

Sadly, there is very little documentation about this kind of stuff, so you may just need to find a newer model and take some measurements of your own.

Hausenkraus

Yes. I have already noticed that there isn’t the same information available on forums as I am used to for passenger vehicles. I appreciate you responding.

I have been trying to think of all the things that might need modifying. Certainly the 4wd linkage. Also I would need to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, because I think most of the shifters moved to the dash or console after my generation. Also I imagine most wiring and plugs changed and would need sorting.

i can’t imagine the cabs themselves were too different from fg to fe models. I guess if I am able to find another cab I can try to take some measurements and see what I find out.

yabanja

Explorer
I appreciate the suggestions.
Seattle is a large enough market you should be able to find something local at a wrecking yard. The two wheel drive cabs from the FE and FH should interchange. I would love an FH cab as it has wider fender flares which would work well with the super single tires.

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior