1949 International/Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawling & Overland Build

GoldiesGarage

I'm pretty much current, on this project.
I will still update with progress. Still waiting on some big parts, I ordered to come in. So in the mean time... I ordered a window kit from Bob's Auto Glass. With the glass kit I bought the rear window gasket and the windshield seal. Looking through Lowes & Home Depot I found this color Black Stainless Steel Metallic, I am really liking it. I painted the inside portion of the window frame with the black metallic. I wired wheeled the front portion of the window frame and sprayed it with a satin clear. Added some sealant and put the glass in. Drilled and tapped the broken screws, bolted it back together and voila.
20210111_131301.jpg
20210111_131356.jpg
20210402_025225.jpg

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

Some parts came in.
Atlas 2 speed Transfer Case - 3.8:1 ratio
20210425_081226.jpg
So out came the engine and trans for the test fit.
20210425_143717.jpg
20210425_143729.jpg
Had to cut the transmission output shaft (nerve racking).

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

Got the engine and trans back in. I really wanted to see the T-Case in the truck.
I don't go to the gym but bench pressing the transfer case to the trans wasn't so bad, only 128 lbs.
Since I have so much room I installed the shifters after the T-case was installed. I didn't see and directions so I just winged it and figured it out. I did have 3 big nuts left that I need to figure out where they go.
For the shifter placement it will have to go between the seats. The shift cables will be to close to the exhaust if I put it on the main floor. I ordered some drive shafts hopefully those will be there when I get back to my parents house. I also ordered new front and rear yokes with to 1350 from 1310. While doing the yoke swap, the Dana 44 yoke wouldn't fit the rear. I found out I have a Dana 60 rear yoke. (Teraflex CRD60) So, that was cool.
Also, I've been collecting brake line parts and tools.

benching.JPG
20210430_173521.jpg
20210430_173535.jpg
20210518_182019.jpg

zgfiredude

Looks like you'll want to do some serious heat shielding or insulation of some kind on those floor boards! The exhaust is going to melt your boots....great build by the way.

GoldiesGarage

Looks like you'll want to do some serious heat shielding or insulation of some kind on those floor boards! The exhaust is going to melt your boots....great build by the way.

Thanks.
Good eye, Yeah... there is about 2 inches of space between the floor and the exhaust. I've been looking at some factory aluminum heat shields but haven't found anything I like. I might try to make my own. With the actual floor I was thinking of doing something like LINE-X or Lizard Skin but I don't know how well they will do with such tight tolerances.

GoldiesGarage

What an awesome build! Where did you learn all of your fab skills?

Thanks for liking the the build.
I have two answers to your question. Short Answer & Long answer.

Short answer
I wing it. Believe it or not, I generally have no idea what I'm doing. I do TON of just staring and thinking and then some more thinking. Maybe a little research here and there. After all that I make something and probably remake it.:cool:

Long answer
-Time-
I do not have a mentor or anything like that. I am a very logical thinking person and I've been winging it, ever since 2013. I have like 2.5 builds under my belt, not including this one.

-Experience-
1st build - My 1956 Chevy 6400 build. I have made SO MANY mistakes and learned so much from that build. That truck was absolute TRASH and should of never been on the road.
My very first welds are on that truck. So many first with this truck.
2nd build - My brother's 1950 Dodge Pickup. Everything I thought was bad or wrong on my 56 Chevy was "corrected" on his truck.
3rd build - My 1934 Chevy Truck Build (not finished or driving) - this is uncharted territory for me. "Racecars" require more staring and thinking for me. Plus, the packaging on this build is so small and tight.
Dealing with a wooden structure cab is new to me.
I'm trying to fab a roll cage, never done that before.

-Attitude & Drive-
I can either pay someone to do it but I would have to say I outsourced it or I could buy the tools needed and try to figure it out (for about the same price just more time). I get the most satisfaction saying I made it. That is a big deal to me.
I look at things/problems like this... If it is humanly possible, I can do it.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
I do what I can with what I have.

-Money-
I don't make a lot of money (I made $48,000 including BAH in 2020). Military E4 pay is pretty weak when my hobbies are super expensive. I have to sacrifice many things to afford these tools and parts. Once during a Las Vegas Summer, I didn't turn on the A/C in the house(I lived alone) because I needed money for car parts. ? The $30 electricity bill for those 3 months was worth it.

I guess... this is how I sum up how I learned my fab skills.

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

My transfer case came in the mail. It took me 4 days to install it. Also, replacing the front engine accessories and fixed some other odds and ends.

GoldiesGarage

Still plugging away at the build. Finished some things and bought some more parts and tools.
1350 Drive Shaft came in from Adams Drive Shafts
Got some brake line parts
Stainless Steel Lines for all four corners
Copper Nickle Alloy tubing
MasterCool flaring tool
Before I can finish the job I need to get a proportioning valve and some more fittings.
Finished up the new steering set up. Went form a Factory 2011 Chevy truck Steering Column to a Summit Racing Universal Column with a 1967 Corvette Walnut steering wheel.
20210523_084646.jpg
20210525_161354.jpg
20210525_161341.jpg
20210427_090646.jpg
20210523_164159.jpg
20210526_134642.jpg
20210526_134636.jpg
20210524_164337.jpg
Getting closer to moving under its own power.

GoldiesGarage

Made another video.
This on is me installing the driveshafts. How I created my steering column support and building my brake lines.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Still plugging away at the build. Finished some things and bought some more parts and tools.
1350 Drive Shaft came in from Adams Drive Shafts
Got some brake line parts
Stainless Steel Lines for all four corners
Copper Nickle Alloy tubing
MasterCool flaring tool
Before I can finish the job I need to get a proportioning valve and some more fittings.
Finished up the new steering set up. Went form a Factory 2011 Chevy truck Steering Column to a Summit Racing Universal Column with a 1967 Corvette Walnut steering wheel.
View attachment 664714
View attachment 664715
View attachment 664716
View attachment 664723
View attachment 664724
View attachment 664717
View attachment 664718
View attachment 664721
Getting closer to moving under its own power.
I have a hydraulic flaring tool like that. Once you use one you can't go back to the old school tools to do flares.

GoldiesGarage

I agree, using a tool like this is way easier than the hand one. Using the hand tool made me hate flaring brake lines. They would always leak. Because of that, I normally pay a shop to do them. But I wanted to do as much as I can on this build. Is why I bought the tool. So I think I messed up the cone adapter or it had a defect from the factory. The company sent me a new flaring cone. Which really suck because I might have to run all new lines and flare them all over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94