Used Conqueror future?

MojoRisen

Just a quick question about the ownership of used Conqueror trailers. I have had an interest in purchasing one for the last 2 years, but am concerned about the upkeep of the 440/490. Lack of parts and support. As of late everything that is Conqueror oriented on the big WWW has been quashed or removed. I have the ability to wrench and remove and add components but am wondering if anyone/owner has run into any problems that can't be replaced by another part not company oriented? Thanks for any input that you may have that is Conqueror oriented. I really appreciate the feedback on the 440/490.

alia176

Explorer
Sorry for the ignorance, but what components are Conqueror proprietary? Everything that's mechanical and electrical are simple generic products that can be fixed/duplicated or replaced, no? Regardless of the answer, if one is hell bent on getting a cool camper, then buy it, regardless of what the market is saying. Just buy it, enjoy it and fix it as needed. It's that simple in my head :)

MojoRisen

No worries. I can fix it if needed. I just am a little anal about research. I'm currently on the fence about having a box n roof tent vs a nice box setup as the Conqueror offers. The 440 kinda hits a sweet spot for getting further back into the BLM roads while offering a little bit more from the elements. I do not need glamping by any means because I am mostly looking for more dirt bike exploring. In regards to finding a US distributor, there may be one but all the internet searching brings me back to the S. African website. I thought there was one in Colorado but there is no longer a contact. AZ also had one but to no avail. I missed the oportunity to check one out locally due to me flying fires late last fall. They sold it. Ha! But thanks ya'll.

alia176

Explorer
I'm guilty on "analysis paralysis" as much as the next guy so I get it. Try to get an unit that allows to carry on inside when the weather turns crappy. I can do that inside my Adrenaline on rare occasion when it's too cold or nasty outside.

Good luck on your hunt, i'm sure one will turn up. Be sure to join the offroad trailer Facebook group too.

ttengineer

Adventurer
This is probably an old landing page but they may be able to help.

a6e7d8ea8d8116bb1c3811a80c6a3dc6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollout12

Everything for the US is shut down. They stoped before COVID hit. They are selling Kimberly Kampers now. If you find one you better get it. I have been trying myself for almost two years. Almost ordered one from AUS but the shipping was way to expensive. Good luck finding one. There is a 2017 for sale in TX. It’s the green one. For me he is asking more than he should.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had two problems with fixing/maintaining my Conqueror ---- non-US sizes on everything. For wheel bearings I had to go to a big bearing house and eyeball replacements; it worked.
And the power converter. Jeez, when it fried I just pulled it out and rewired the entire trailer. I just put in marine parts and it worked fine.

@Rovertrader , @dieselandmud , & @Dendy Jarrett are also former owners that you could network with.
They're fun trailers once you get past the oddball SA parts.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We had a Base Camp model and really liked it- except the same issues Bill mentioned! It was more frustrating than anticipated, and we went to a Kimberly...
One would think after having Land Rovers for 25+ years it would not be a big deal, but nothing was ‘off the shelve’ and dealing with turn around from South Africa was dismal at best. Your experience may vary, but I expected less issues which led to frustration and eventually selling as a result. It’s all about expectations being met, and ours were not at the time. However, if you like to tinker with your camper and sort through said issues, I believe they could be good rigs.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We had a Base Camp model and really liked it- except the same issues Bill mentioned! It was more frustrating than anticipated, and we went to a Kimberly...
Chris had a Base Camp --- Lance now and some sort of big travel trailer.
Dendy famously had, what was it... ...Conquest? Then the 440? And now his Airstream.
And I went down the teardrop rabbit hole and have an Aliner on order.

Kenny had a Compact too. @chips95 --- but he also got a teardrop and has upgraded after having kids.

TomInOregon

One tip I can add is that we have had much better support ordering parts from Australia instead of South Africa. Even when David was still importing Conquerors into the U.S., he was not at all helpful with replacement parts or support for us. Shipping from Australia is a bit pricy, so when we have had to order anything, we get extras so we won't have to do it again. As for electronics, those are replaceable with U.S. versions easily (in most cases, plug and play). The nice thing with Conquerors is that you can get to everything, making repairs/replacements/upgrades very easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles