Off-Road Trailer Build - Pump Trailer Transformation

Cool transformation from work horse to play toy. Just curious, why start with the pump trailer instead of a scratch build?

Thanks old CWO.

When I first started I was trying to keep cost low, the pump trailer looked like it would be a good starting point and the price was right. Not to mention this was my first time to really build anything with welder, wasn't sure about doing everything from scratch.

Overall I'm really happy with the way it is turning out. The only thing I really would change about the trailer is a little longer tongue, it's really short and I can jack knife pretty quick against the battery boxs as is. I'm planning on extending it a little and adding an articulating hitch in the near future.

old_CWO

Maybe think about using a receiver tube at the tongue. You can then make a 2" tongue bar the length you want and remove it for more compact storage. That also gives you the ability to use different hitches (ball, pintle, max, etc.) and adds a little theft resistance. I set up all my trailers like that now and really like it.

Maybe think about using a receiver tube at the tongue. You can then make a 2" tongue bar the length you want and remove it for more compact storage. That also gives you the ability to use different hitches (ball, pintle, max, etc.) and adds a little theft resistance. I set up all my trailers like that now and really like it.

That's the plan, I already have a max coupler to fit the receiver tube. I need to get it on some scales loaded down so that I can calculate how much length need to add.

old_CWO

That's the plan, I already have a max coupler to fit the receiver tube. I need to get it on some scales loaded down so that I can calculate how much length need to add.

Nice. Getting on the scales is smart, I meet a lot of people who tow stuff and don't have the faintest idea what the actual weight/balance is on the trailer. If your tongue weight isn't too bad, there is a way to rig up a fixture so a bathroom scale can measure it. I like the idea of that so you don't have to get to the CAT scale every time you make changes to the trailer.

Sorry I haven't posted progress in a while, been really busy.

After getting the skin on the doors, I measured and cut holes for the locking compression latches.
1122201421_compress15.jpg

1122201517_compress8.jpg

After getting that wrapped up. I couldn't wait to throw my Walkabout 87 tent up on the telescoping rack I built and test the function with the weight on top.

1122201639_HDR_compress90.jpg

I was very pleased with how well the rack worked! It goes up smoothly on its own when pins are released and locks in secure high enough to walk under without ducking. With two people the rack pulls back down to lower driving level easily inone smooth motion. With one person it pulls down easily but you have to go down in 2-3 increments pulling from one side and then the other.

Last edited:

fifty

Adventurer
I am not sure if you posted this and I over looked it...
How are you raising and lowering the tent on the rack?

I am not sure if you posted this and I over looked it...
How are you raising and lowering the tent on the rack?

Sorry, I've been meaning to finish posting but haven't gotten around to it. I mounted gas struts inside each post that push the tent up on it's own. To lower simply pull it down and lock it in the lowest position with the welded on pop pins and clamping knobs.

I'll try to post pictures of the process soon.

fifty

Adventurer
I was looking at electric actuators... but not sure if 2, one on each corner would lift it smoothly. And then having a locking pin.
Or if I’d need , one at each corner.

and then how much power it would draw to lift and lower.
I’m disabled, so I can crawl up to a rtt, but having it low to flip open and then a device to raise it would be ideal.

I’m hoping my idea works out lol. (And hoping I can find someone else who has found actuators that work good and can have 2-4 on one circuit that work evenly.

I was looking at electric actuators... but not sure if 2, one on each corner would lift it smoothly. And then having a locking pin.
Or if I’d need , one at each corner.

and then how much power it would draw to lift and lower.
I’m disabled, so I can crawl up to a rtt, but having it low to flip open and then a device to raise it would be ideal.

I’m hoping my idea works out lol. (And hoping I can find someone else who has found actuators that work good and can have 2-4 on one circuit that work evenly.

I considered actuators, but when I drew up plans I placed them in the middle of the rack to try to keep pressure even in all posts. I think if you only go with two in the corners you would run into binding issues.

I ended up going with the gas struts because I wanted a cleaner look, the struts are completely concealed.

I absolutely love the design on the telescoping rtt rack!
You addressed the issues I was bumping up against in really solid ways. The gas struts and rod ends are perfect!

Just thinking this through, why did you choose having the pivot on the rod ends be front and back, instead of left and right? If it were left and right, it would give another axis for leveling the tent if you couldn’t get the trailer level. Just thinking out loud.

I absolutely love the design on the telescoping rtt rack!
You addressed the issues I was bumping up against in really solid ways. The gas struts and rod ends are perfect!

Just thinking this through, why did you choose having the pivot on the rod ends be front and back, instead of left and right? If it were left and right, it would give another axis for leveling the tent if you couldn’t get the trailer level. Just thinking out loud.

That's why I used the rod ends they rotate in any direction. I can have all 4 posts at different heights if I need to quickly level the tent. I usually level the whole trailer though because if I don't the stove and sink won't be level when they pull out.

Last edited:
Mad respect for your fabrication skills and for your clean style.

Nicely done. ? ? ??

Appreciate it 228B! It has been a fun project for sure, and love the way it's performed on the three trips we've taken it on so far (has about 2,700 miles under it's belt so far). I need to post more updated pics

Last edited:

Muddzy

Incredible build! You did some great fab work. I just picked up an M116A2 and I'm in the concept phase - not sure how I want the finished product to look but I can get started on the basics. I have a trip in August and then November that I would like to have this at least partially useable at different stages to figure things out. A few early questions if you don't mind. In hindsight, would you just build your own frame or start with a military trailer like you did? Did you sand blast yourself or take it to a sand blaster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles