A Diesel in the New Suburban? Heck Yeah!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
For you Expo trailer pullers, this new diesel Suburban might be a really good choice for your next new rig (once you win the lotto and can afford one with forcing your oldest two kids to drop out of college).

While the new Suburban lists out at a pretty hefty price as usual, the Duramax option adds less than a grand to your final bill. But hey, at that point, who’s counting pennies? Anyway, from what I just read below, it’s extra bitcoin well spent to get that smelly, big bonus of extra torque. And better yet, in the case where you you choose the High Country trim, it’s actually $1500 cheaper to skip the 6.2 gasser and go for the diesel! Plus, as Brian points out, you can have additional fun confounding your neighboring drivers at the gas pumps, because, I mean, when was the last time anyone saw a diesel Suburban?

Here’s R and T’s Brian Silvestro’s take on the rig:

You Definitely Want the Diesel in Your New Chevy Suburban

Chevrolet has added a diesel engine option to its revamped full-size Tahoe and Suburban SUVs for 2021. Available on every trim save for the off-road focused Z71, the 3.0-liter Duramax turbo inline six is a $995 option (except in the case of the High Country trim, where it’s actually $1500 cheaper to go diesel) over the base gasoline V-8, a naturally aspirated 5.3-liter. And after spending five days and several thousand miles behind the wheel of a Duramax-powered Suburban, it has become clear that the diesel is a must-have for anyone who plans to use their massive Chevy truck for its intended purpose.

Digital editor Aaron Brown and I needed to be in Missouri in mid-March for the 100 Acre Wood rally, in which we planned to participate using Aaron’s E36 M3 as part of an upcoming story in our magazine. Since we were both in New York City, we needed a tow vehicle that could haul a race car and all of its spares. Having just driven a Tahoe with the base 355-hp 5.3, this was a perfect chance to get our hands on the diesel variant and compare. The differences were shocking.

Don’t get me wrong; I know why they offer a 5.3-liter V-8. It’s for fleet sales, Ubers, and people who can’t fathom paying for anything other than 87-octane gasoline. But in vehicles as big as the Tahoe and Suburban, it’s a bit lethargic. You really have to wind it out to get going, and revving a truck engine never feels satisfying.

The diesel, on the other hand, is perfectly suited to this application. It’s well-tuned for the truck’s weight, working well with the standard 10-speed automatic to ensure the right amount of thrust gets to the wheels. While it’s down on horses versus the V-8, it makes up for it with torque: a mere 383 lb. ft. versus a full 460. It feels like the engine that was meant to be in this truck from the beginning.

And a Duramax under the hood is especially useful if you have a trailer out back. Though Chevy’s official tow capacity ratings for the diesel are only slightly better than the 5.3’s, that low-end torque makes all the difference. Pop it into trailer/haul mode and the truck adjusts throttle sensitivity and gearbox settings, optimizing revs and avoiding any extra strain on the driveline. Even with 5000 extra pounds out back it never felt like the diesel was struggling to pull its weight, whether accelerating onto the highway, scaling steep inclines, or passing lesser traffic. Best of all? This truck returned about 500 miles to a tank....

.....The biggest change for this generation of Suburban is the addition of fully independent suspension in the rear. Combined with the magnetic ride control and air suspension in our specced-out High Country tester, the IRS evened out pretty much every piece of road we threw at it. Only the biggest bumps shuddered the cabin enough to remind us it was still a body-on-frame vehicle. Not bad, especially considering the massive 22-inch wheels.

(More info in the linked article)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I wonder why they made a whole new engine when they have the 2.8 diesel they put in the 1 ton vans.

Jacobm

I wonder why they made a whole new engine when they have the 2.8 diesel they put in the 1 ton vans.

They've discontinued the 2.8 for the midsize trucks and fullsize vans, to be replaced with the 2.7L Turbo 4. I'm not entirely sure why they decided the 3.0 I6 diesel was the way forward, but my guess is that it has the overhead to provide more power. Almost 100HP more out of just .2 more liters, but 2 more cylinders. It probably doesn't fit in the 1/2 tons for packaging reasons, but with 1/2 ton trucks and full size SUVs being GM's bread and butter, it would make sense to focus their efforts there. Midsize trucks and full size vans tend to be more niche markets, or targeted at fleet buyers, to whom engine choice isn't as sensitive as overall cost or durability. Also perhaps some weird regulation compliance, or business oddity with DMAX, who knows.

They've discontinued the 2.8 for the midsize trucks and fullsize vans, to be replaced with the 2.7L Turbo 4. I'm not entirely sure why they decided the 3.0 I6 diesel was the way forward, but my guess is that it has the overhead to provide more power. Almost 100HP more out of just .2 more liters, but 2 more cylinders. It probably doesn't fit in the 1/2 tons for packaging reasons, but with 1/2 ton trucks and full size SUVs being GM's bread and butter, it would make sense to focus their efforts there. Midsize trucks and full size vans tend to be more niche markets, or targeted at fleet buyers, to whom engine choice isn't as sensitive as overall cost or durability. Also perhaps some weird regulation compliance, or business oddity with DMAX, who knows.

The 3.0L Diesel is available in the ½ ton trucks.

Skinny

Time will tell but a 5.3 will need maybe a set of exhaust manifolds in a quarter million miles while drinking the cheapest fuel. The diesel block will go that long but chances are everything bolted to it will need to be replaced two to three times. Not to mention the fuel and def is going to offset any gains in fuel economy.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I do recall the new engine was a needed change for emissions standards also why the old one is being phased out.
The new i6 is a pretty cool engine likely the last diesel in a passenger vehicle for GM. My use pattern won’t work with modern diesels even though I really like them and would love to have one. My use pattern fits best with hybrid ideally plug-in hybrid but Ford is splitting the difference and going hybrid only on its trucks.

My plug-in hybrid gets charged at home during peak solar hours yep solar on the house. And does the local stuff in EV mode.

Explorerinil

Observer
I do recall the new engine was a needed change for emissions standards also why the old one is being phased out.
The new i6 is a pretty cool engine likely the last diesel in a passenger vehicle for GM. My use pattern won’t work with modern diesels even though I really like them and would love to have one. My use pattern fits best with hybrid ideally plug-in hybrid but Ford is splitting the difference and going hybrid only on its trucks.

My plug-in hybrid gets charged at home during peak solar hours yep solar on the house. And does the local stuff in EV mode.
I bet your correct! I read a news article that quoted GM as saying they will stop making gasoline vehicles or internal combustion (I can’t remeber the exact verbiage) by 2035.

yfarm

Observer
I had one of the 2021s drive by me while walking and was stunned by the lack of ground clearance on the rear suspension. Read a review touting the deep snow performance, usual marketing fluff ungrounded in reality.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Cool option to add, I guess. I wish Chevy would step it up a bit in the offroad game. " Available on every trim save for the off-road focused Z71" What is offroad about the Z71??? It offers red tow hooks, tires and a "high clearance" front fascia and some black plastics. For everything offroad out there right now, I'd be surprised if the Z71 was even included in any type of offroad competititon/testing.

My cousin just bought a Silvy 1500 with the 3.0 and reports 29 mpg all day long. He says it pulls really well, I‘m anxious to give it a test drive. It may be a winner in the Tahoe/Suburban platform. We love our 2010 Suburban with the 5.3. Pretty good mpg for a vehicle that size and the engine sounds great when I get on it. Very comfortable on long drives. My wife calls it her truck but let’s be clear: modern Suburbans are not trucks, they’re station wagons. So even with the laughably named Z71 Offroad Package (yes, ours has that package) ground clearance is not it’s greatest selling point. That being said, 170k miles and we’re keeping it. ?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
While it’s down on horses versus the V-8, it makes up for it with torque: a mere 383 lb. ft. versus a full 460. It feels like the engine that was meant to be in this truck from the beginning.

So, all that weight, cost and complexity of a modern diesel (DEF, regens, etc) and it STILL has less torque than a 3.5 EcoBoost (470.) :rolleyes:

CFMGarage

So, all that weight, cost and complexity of a modern diesel (DEF, regens, etc) and it STILL has less torque than a 3.5 EcoBoost (470.) :rolleyes:

I mean, the EcoBoost V6 is pretty complex as well. I looked up the torque curves on both of the 3.5 ecoboost and the 3.0 Duramax and man, Ford puts this diesel to shame with the power output.

I think the only argument is, it's an inline 6 diesel, so if you want to hotshot with your Suburban, you can sleep in the back next to the aux fuel tank.

I'm trying to find a reason to like this diesel because I want to see more diesels in the market. GM needs to innovate out of this hole they are in and this won't do it.

If Ford re-releases a 7.3 Gas or Diesel Tremor Excursion the overland bros would explode. GM just doesn't have that enthusiasm with any of their products with anyone I've spoken too. The ZR2 colorado was the last real push forward I saw with any hype and it's still a Colorado underneath. I mean, where is GM's Bronco competition. Or I guess a better question is, how is GM planning to compete with any car maker. Like Toyota, they've let things stagnate and ride on reputations earned during a different time and under different circumstances without innovating anything really in 30+ years. I mean, look what they did to the Blazer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke