Which eight LT tires?

rebar

Adventurer
Hey folks..

I imagine you've heard of people using 16" LT tires on travel trailers and the debate around that.. But if we move past the debate considering my TT will be a 7x16 cargo trailer weighing about 7k lbs, LT tires should easily handle that..

But what if you wanted to use the same rim and tire combination on both your full size truck and trailer so you only needed to carry one spare? Is there a tire that could do that well?

I always run Michelin's so figured I would use the E load rated LTX A/T 2's Ive had good luck with on both truck and trailer.. But then remembered there were only a few LT tires that were recommended for TT's like the Michelin rib or the Bridgestone R250's I used on my old 24' featherlite, among others.

I don't want to run either of those on road tires on my 4x4 truck, so would eight Michelin LTX A/T 2's be OK? Or would you suggest another 16" tire ?

Thanks!

Grassland

What is the OEM TT tire? As in size and load rating?
All of my trailers have had 13-15" rims and load ratings easily handled by the same diameter LT tire

4000lbsOfGoat

But what if you wanted to use the same rim and tire combination on both your full size truck and trailer so you only needed to carry one spare? Is there a tire that could do that well?
I run matching BFG KO2s in LT275\70\17 (E-rated) on both my truck and trailer. Seems to work fine.

But then remembered there were only a few LT tires that were recommended for TT's
Why would it make a difference if the tire were on a TT as opposed to being on a truck\car\anything else?

yfarm

Observer
Tandem axle?
The standard trailer 5k axle has six lug bolt pattern that matches Toyota and Chevrolet but check your hub diameter on the trailer and vehicle. 3500 lb axles usually have 5 bolt 4.5” bolt circle. You could also use wheel adaptors but I’m less enthusiastic of that option. If you have other vehicles than above you could have a machine shop redrill your trailer hubs for the bolt pattern of your vehicle. Have heard of custom hub manufacturers, not familiar with any. 8 bolt trailer hub has 8x6.5 bolt pattern which matches Ram, Ford thru 1998 and Chevrolet thru 2011 as well as Hummer. Again check hub bore as there is variation.

Last edited:
I own several trucks and trailers, mostly used for work in the mountains. I run LT tires on a couple of trailers and have never had an issue. They can be a bit grabby on the grooved concrete, but no problem. I would just run whatever you want to run on the primary rig, and match that on the trailer.

rebar

Adventurer
I run matching BFG KO2s in LT275\70\17 (E-rated) on both my truck and trailer. Seems to work fine.

Yes tandem axle cargo trailer..

Id wouldn't mind running the 17" wheels that are on the truck now on the trailer too, but Ive heard NEVER run truck rims on trailer hubs because they are designed for centered trailer rims..

"Dexter Axle bearing sets are designed for wheels with 0 to 1/2" inset."

But I think wheel spacers used with some truck rims gets the mounting surface close to the center.. Maybe that approach is better than switching to 16" trailer rims on the truck to match the trailer..

Im suprised dexter or someone doesn't make a axle hub thats designed for truck rim back space..

Last edited:

4000lbsOfGoat

I do use hub-centric wheel adapters on my trailer in order to accept the hub-centric wheels (and convert from 1/2" studs to m12). I'm not sure about the spacing but I've been alright for about 3000 miles on the trailer so far.

rebar

Adventurer
I do use hub-centric wheel adapters on my trailer in order to accept the hub-centric wheels (and convert from 1/2" studs to m12). I'm not sure about the spacing but I've been alright for about 3000 miles on the trailer so far.

You may want to measure how much offset your adapters give the rims, and I'd bet that's what saved you.. Not only does the manufacture warn about it, but Ive read at least twice of folks who smoked their trailer bearings when running truck wheels with allot of back space.

old_CWO

I don't want to run either of those on road tires on my 4x4 truck, so would eight Michelin LTX A/T 2's be OK? Or would you suggest another 16" tire ?

Thanks!

I wouldn't bat an eyelash at running that setup. On the trailer something with a solid rib outer tread block would be better but the AT is a fine tire. Personally, I don't see why the trailer and truck have to be exactly the same tread as long as they are the same size but that's just me.

billiebob

Why would it make a difference if the tire were on a TT as opposed to being on a truck\car\anything else?
Most states, provinces do not allow passenger vehicle tires on trailers, a trailer must use a trailer tire....
Never enforced but often the law.

billiebob

I run Jeep rims on my trailer and had a custom axle built to fit the Jeep rim offset. A 3500# axle cost $207. I thought about spacers but needed 2.25" spacers and they cost as much as the axle. I know you have a tandem but I'd price out new axles.

rebar

Adventurer
I run Jeep rims on my trailer and had a custom axle built to fit the Jeep rim offset. A 3500# axle cost $207. I thought about spacers but needed 2.25" spacers and they cost as much as the axle. I know you have a tandem but I'd price out new axles.

Who built your axle? What makes it custom and what tires do you run?

Thanks

I wouldn't bat an eyelash at running that setup. On the trailer something with a solid rib outer tread block would be better but the AT is a fine tire. Personally, I don't see why the trailer and truck have to be exactly the same tread as long as they are the same size but that's just me.
I would if michelin offered the rib in a 17" tire. The only michelin 265/70/17's are AT or AS that I can find. Yes I did change my mind, or considering spacers with 17" rims

And this brings be back to another "plan" I had to run 235/85/16's Ribs on the trailer because they are the same outer diameter as 265/70/17's AT2's I currently run on the truck and could be interchanged.

So there's really three different directions I could go lol.

A) 16" centered trailer rims on the truck and trailer and have the truck tire's stick out a bit..

B) Keep the 17" rims and buy 4 identical rims for the trailer and run spacers to achieve 0 offset

C) OR run the 235/85/16 Ribs on the trailer because the outer diameter is the same as the 265/70/17's on the truck.

Last edited:

billiebob

Any truck spring shop will do it. Most have a form, you fill in the blanks, super simple.
I think Inland Truck will do it in Iowa.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94