Jku camper hardrop

JDaPP

Adventurer
I think most ideas outpriced the market leading to low demand. That and Ursa Minor came in and has cornered the market with a excellent product that fits the bill.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
At the 2018 SEMA Show, a company called Cliffride was showing two JKU campers. One was similar to the Ursa Minor:

CliffrideEscape3_zpseopnd3du.jpg

The other was a cab-over style:

CliffrideFE42_zps6ubf7kpp.jpg

CliffrideFE43_zpsjtn8shko.jpg

I know the designer at Cliffride, he's very talented and prolific and a nice guy too; I saw him at the 2019 SEMA Show and he told me the company's main backer ran into problems, which killed Cliffride's plans to release the campers. I'm sure the molds still exist, so if there was a good financial case for bring them to market that could happen, but I doubt there's enough market to make it a good business proposition.

Early in the JKU days, AT Overland offered the Habitat Camper top but that was discontinued a while back, so I suppose that's evidence that there isn't enough market for JKU-based campers for more than one company (Ursa Minor) to prosper.

IMG_7798-e1454557210512-1500x844.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
At the 2018 SEMA Show, a company called Cliffride was showing two JKU campers. One was similar to the Ursa Minor:

CliffrideEscape3_zpseopnd3du.jpg

The other was a cab-over style:

CliffrideFE42_zps6ubf7kpp.jpg

CliffrideFE43_zpsjtn8shko.jpg

Except that those are JLUs, not JKUs. I don’t believe UM has a JL version yet. That cab over is awesome! Wonder how much it weighs as payload is always a weak link with Wrangler-based expedition vehicles.

Wish those would come to market!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Except that those are JLUs, not JKUs. I don’t believe UM has a JL version yet. That cab over is awesome! Wonder how much it weighs as payload is always a weak link with Wrangler-based expedition vehicles.

Wish those would come to market!
Yes these are jlu but they also made them for jku, just didn't show the jku versions at the show

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I have been toying around with various version in my head and on paper. Building your own would not be hard if you wanted to go with a wedge camper version. Just look up some of the Tacoma DIY wedge camper threads.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have been toying around with various version in my head and on paper. Building your own would not be hard if you wanted to go with a wedge camper version. Just look up some of the Tacoma DIY wedge camper threads.

theres a very long thread here somewhere about the trials and tribulations of a guy building his own. You may want to search for it and read it first.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
"Wedge" designs are well within the range of a DIYer with a sewing machine. I did this one a few years ago; it's on a trailer but it could be on a platform like the Taco DIY wedge projects. I've often thought about removing the roof panel on my Jeep and adapting this lid to the hardtop to make a pop-top.

CanvasFinal5_zpse51313a6.jpg

TiltUp2_zps8rjkiejo.jpg

When I built the hardtop for my JKU I designed it with doing a pop-top in mind. This mockup photo was taken during the construction of the hardtop:

PopUpSim_zpsag0ue2hr.jpg

ventura911

Adventurer
Except that those are JLUs, not JKUs. I don’t believe UM has a JL version yet.

Ursa Minor has had its JL version available for a bit now.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Ursa Minor has had its JL version available for a bit now.

Huh, I even checked their website before I posted. Obviously I didn’t look hard enough! :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles