Cool Jeeps You Can't Have - Mahindra of India

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think I am going to start looking into buying one of those FC-150s and having it shipped to the states. It really would be the coolest. Like a small deuce and a half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am told that a 20' container from Delhi to the east coast of the U.S. is under $2000, which I think is pretty reasonable.

The challenge with a Mahindra FC is that the last of them were made in 1999 and virtually all of them went into commercial service. 21 years or more of commercial service in India is very hard duty so finding a nice one might be hard. Also you'd need to do a '96 or earlier to avoid the 25 year restriction on imports of complete vehicles into the U.S. unless you could find some exception to that rule that you could use. And, India has implemented tough rules over the past few years to get older vehicles off the road, so FCs (along with the Indian classic Ambassador) are less common on the roads these days, so there won't be too many to choose from.

Mahindras like the Commander, Marshal, Major, etc., are much more common and it's not hard to find one nice enough to consider bringing over here.

billiebob

An early cowl/chassis brochure. Many custom bodies were built on this platform.

FC160-2_zpsrngealgr.jpg

FC160-2b.jpg
I have photos of chassis on the "interstate" the driver on a crate running between the chassis manufacturer and the bus body builder. Priceless how India focuses on industry.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another ambulance brochure. Both FC and an MM540 (Commander) ambulances are shown.

MahindraAmbulance11_zpsymrbpsd3.jpg

MahindraAmbulance21_zpswkmgv2jx.jpg

Enough of the FC variants for now, I think next I'll cover my favorite model - the Savari.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Before I move on to the Savari, I'll go back to the Thar for a moment. Mahindra has a customization studio and you can order a Thar, Bolero, KUV, TUV, Scorpio and other models outfitted to your taste right from the factory studio. The studio has a 23-page brochure showing some of the possibilities; I'll just post the pages that have to do with the Thar for now.

CustomPage1.jpg

CustomPage2.jpg

CustomPage3.jpg

CustomPage4.jpg

CustomPage5.jpg

CustomPage6.jpg

CustomPage7.jpg

CustomPage8.jpg

CustomPage9.jpg

CustomPage10.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've posted photos of the Commander and Marshal in 2 and 4 door versions - there are actually several different body lengths. The top photo is a Marshal, the middle one is a Maxx, and the bottom one is my all-time favorite Mahindra variant - it's called the Savari and it's a long wheelbase/long body version.

Lengths_zpswoa5eo6q.jpg

I've been considering importing a Savari body and putting it on a stretched LJ frame. I can buy a used Savari in India, get a shop there to pull the body off the frame and put it in a container and pay them by giving them the running chassis. I believe importing the body only would get around US import restrictions on vehicles less than 25 years old and I wouldn't want the Mahindra chassis or running gear anyway.

Savari2_zpsurjk1prq.jpg

Savari_zpsg1upxtes.jpg

The video that the still above came from:

So I may be asking a lot but I have seen you do it prior in your Land Rover ideas thread but would you be willing to make a graphic showing the different versions (Commander, Maxx, Savari) compared to a Tj, Lj, Jku I am interested to see how they compare body and wheelbase because I feel like the savari looks massive but when compared to a jku probably pretty similar in size

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So I may be asking a lot but I have seen you do it prior in your Land Rover ideas thread but would you be willing to make a graphic showing the different versions (Commander, Maxx, Savari) compared to a Tj, Lj, Jku I am interested to see how they compare body and wheelbase because I feel like the savari looks massive but when compared to a jku probably pretty similar in size

Here you go...

TJ, LJ, Mahindra Maxx, Mahindra Savari:

LengthCompare.jpg

JKU and Savari:

JKUSavariCompare.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This Savari is in tourist service and I photographed it in the Hindu holy city of Pushkar in the state of Rajasthan. Savaris are very common in Rajasthan and also in the Himalayan foothill states like West Bengal. Few seem to be used as private vehicles, they're most often seen in tourist and shared taxi service.

Savari3a_zpscnghskq0.jpg

Savari3b_zpsw3vcxfar.jpg

Savari3c_zpsmwlogy6v.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A Savari commercial

The language in this video is Gujarati (one of the 17 or more major languages in India); it's an ad by a Mahindra dealer in the state of Gujarat. The gist of it is that the people are sad because they're unemployed. The dealer says he will finance a Savari so the people can go into the rural taxi business. They're seen breaking a coconut in front of their new Savari, that's for good luck, and then they're happy because they're in business with their Savari.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the delayed reply but thank you so much! It’s crazy how they fit a full 4 door in the wheel base of a lj

It's two things - first, the Maxx/Commander/Savari wheelbases are 2" longer than the LJ (105.6" vs. 103.5"), and the front doors don't have to be wide enough to allow people to get into the back seat - two-door veghicles of all types generally have wider doors than 4-door vehicles.

Wouldn't it be nice if Jeep built a 4-door LJ using doors like the Mahindras. Also, I like the detail pressed into the door sides:

Doors.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles